Search results

1. W

Help Requested: Testing the STH Benchmark Script v1

Is this meant for bare metal installs of Ubuntu or does it not matter?
  2. W

Upgrading ESXi v5.1 to v5.5?

Ah cool I knew release was imminent...yes recently did this to latest 5.1. The full installer iso should give you the option to install or upgrade; boot from it. Edit: Good, important info if you Google "esxi 5.5. free upgrade". There are some, uh, complications for us free home users it...
  3. W

WTB: Intel Xeon X34xx Socket 1156 CPU

Thanks but yeah not a 1156. Doesn't matter cuz just today snapped up a newly-posted x3480 ("fastest" one; 23 multi) for only $99 free ship from an apparently reputable seller. It's an ES but at that price of course it is.
  4. W

WTB: Intel Xeon X34xx Socket 1156 CPU

Kind of a long shot but thought I'd try some forums before I go eBay. Looking to replace my i7 870 as the Xeons support 32GB RAM.
  5. W

Intel BBS1200KP mITX IB/SB server board - $140

Yeah the situation with VT-d on many desktop CPUs is kinda borked too. No VT-d on K-series Ivy chips but non-K does have. All just marketing of course and sure the unlocked ones mainly go to enthusiasts and gamers and overclockers who generally don't care about such but still.
  6. W

ESXi 5.1 MAC PRO 4,1 - OSX Server and Client VM

Well I wanted an ESXi test box at work as well and now I don't have to use some ancient and loud 1U box!
  7. W

ESXi 5.1 MAC PRO 4,1 - OSX Server and Client VM

Cool. I have a few 5,1s at work too. Wasn't aware you could flash some older ones...
  8. W

Recommedations for setting up a home VMware lab

Or you can just homebuild "White Box" it. Google "exsi white box hardware specs" or some such. I am presently using ESXi 5 free on my repurposed old gaming rig. Threw in max RAM and Intel NIC and a >$100 IBM M1015 from eBay flashed to LSI 9240-IR plus more drives and I'm good to go for initial...
  9. W

IBM M1015 Firmware - What to flash with

Had the same issue in my P55 FTW and so glad I found this post as I might have otherwise thought I bricked it. Tried it in an old HP Core 2 Duo desktop at work but it didn't like that either (and megarec gave a wonderful message about destroyed memory blocks in that box). Finally successfully...
  10. W

27" 2560x1440 IPS For Less than $400 shipped

Fair enough...and actually I figured it was something like that but I would still rather try to get warranty service or a replacement or whatever the case ends up being from "some guy" in this country as opposed to a Korean on eBay. Just mainly wanted people to know that slowly but surely there...
  11. W

27" 2560x1440 IPS For Less than $400 shipped

Overlord Computer in California re-brands these and guarantees pixels plus provides a one-year warranty. Looks to be a little less than Microcenter plus more options. I believe they also have ones that can can "overclock" to 100Hz if not a little more. More general info about these nice Korean...