Search results

1. M

SAS Expander Options (no mobo needed)

Hello all, I'm researching Molex-powered SAS Expanders that don't require a mobo/PCI-E slot and figured I could save a lot of time by asking here. WHAT I WANT TO DO: Add a JBOD disk shelf/DAS to an existing server. Looking at taking 8 lanes/2 ports off the existing Adaptec 72405 RAID...
  2. M

Software RAID0 on a duallie - split the drives b/t CPUs or both on 1 CPU? (Chia mining related)

I'm in the process of building a plotting machine for Chia coin mining. It requires a ton of disk IO to the temporary drive. I have two U2 drives on PCI-E adapter cards that I plan to software RAID0/stripe in order to have one big and fast temporary drive. The OS will be the latest version of...
  3. M

RAID5+HS or RAID6 for Media Storage?

Hello everyone, I am finally going the media server route and will be ripping my 500+ BR and DVD collection. I already have a PC I use as my NAS (Win7/3.2GHz Xeon/16GB RAM/1GB hard wired LAN) and will be adding an 8-bay SAS/SATA enclosure and HW RAID card to it specifically for my movies and...
  4. M

MichaelD's FreeNAS Server

Here's my FreeNAS server built with a mix of new and old parts. The old parts are the case and the HDs; 500GB Samsung SATAII drives I've had for at least 6 years. I orginally bought 10 of them; I have 7 left. They are hardy drives for sure as they've been running basically 24/7 in one system...
  5. M

To ZIL or not to ZIL; that is indeed the question. (FreeNAS n00b needs help)

This is my first foray into running a non-Windows OS for my storage. TBH, I need a GUI, so FreeNAS immediately appealed to me. I've set it up with just two spinners in a mirror and have been testing it out for a few days now and it's been great. Stable and easy to use. Later this week when...
  6. M

SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i for ZFS/FreeNAS?

n/m )Original poster is blind) SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i for ZFS/FreeNAS? Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Add-on Cards | AOC-USAS2-L8i I'm setting up a FreeNAS box with 4 HDs to start and am considering the USAS2 for it. I don't own any straight HBA's; only RAID cards...