Search results

1. E

What about VirtualBox?

Virtualbox, despite limitations, is still huge among gamers, bloggers and other casual users. It's not for most of us here but I don't see it dying off unless Oracle pull the plug on it.
  2. E

Virtual Lab - zentyal, pfsense, freenas etc..

If you're checking out Zentyal do look at the earlier versions as well 3.2 onwards, it has improved as an AD and Exchange server over time but a lot of nice stuff from the early versions was cut out as they shifted their focus from the gateway/infrastructure idea towards the more lucrative SBS...
  3. E

Reasonably alternatives to Exchange/Server2012/Sharepoint?

The hardware's definitely not a fixed cost either way . I run several virtual machines and generally the linux ones run on about 1/4 of the resources of the windows ones. If everything was on windows I'd need a few more servers. I'd also need separate licenses for each virtualisation.
  4. E

Core2 Duo System

Load it up as a gateway server for a small office and keep it aside as a spare, or put it off-site as a failover MX. I still have a couple of old P4's for that sort of thing, as long as it's linux based they'll be fine.
  5. E

Reasonably alternatives to Exchange/Server2012/Sharepoint?

Zentyal is a good option for those coming from a windows background, there's usually no linux experience needed. Version 4.2 gives full native compatibility for exchange clients with webmail and IMAP/POP3, domain control, and VPN. HA clustering was available on 3.4 but later removed, and 3.2 is...