Search results

1. MrCalvin

Anyone with a IronWolf 125 Pro SSD out there (ERC support)?

Would like to know if this disk support ERC (Error Recovery Control) which is rather a must-have for RAID use. Can be determine by the command: smartctl -l scterc /dev/sda I did try Seagate support but they didn't really know what I was talking about and gave me a nonsense answer. Some...
  2. MrCalvin

RHEL LVM RAID does have bit-rot protecting!

To my surprise LVM mdadm does actually seem to be able to save extra checksum-data to prevent bit-rot/soft corruption. Until now I thought the only way was to go e.g. btrfs or sfz. But I just ran into this article over at RHEL: Using DM integrity with RAID LV Together with thin LVM snapshots...
  3. MrCalvin

Intel C230 Sensor hub boot error on Linux (SuperMicro)

I get this Linux boot-error on all my SuperMicro X11 boards (chipset C236) [ +8.162342] intel_ish_ipc 0000:00:13.0: [ishtp-ish]: Timed out waiting for FW-initiated reset [ +0.010041] intel_ish_ipc 0000:00:13.0: ISH: hw start failed. The device is: 00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel...
  4. MrCalvin

Power-Loss-protected cache size on SSD: Yes, finally someone reveals the size (Kingston)

Beside the obvious reason of PLP it should also help synchronous I/O performance e.g. SQL (and all ESX guest writes I believe!), as when data are written to the quick PLP protected disk-cache the disk rightfully can report back that the data IS written to the disk and the system can move on. But...
  5. MrCalvin

My humble 10Watt server put AWS EB2 to shame!

Headlines are supposed to be dramatic and only half-truth, right :p After some talk on other threads about power-consumption, AMD, Intel and servers, I thought I'll get some real power numbers on the on-prem servers I usually setup at my customers. Some questioned the power numbers I've been...
  6. MrCalvin

Was about to switch from Intel>Ryzen, but now I'm not so sure after all!

It was my belief that AMD's newer CPUs was ahead Intel now, and I finally decided to get my first test-server, Asrock board + Ryzen 5 2600 (no GPU) to test it out. My use-case is std. business servers (Linux KVM/QEMU: VPN firewall, Windows AD, Windows RDP VMs, Storage, Web, Mail, FTP and the...
  7. MrCalvin

970 PRO NVMe alike with REAL Linux support!?

I'm looking for a 970 PRO NVMe alike drive with real Linux support! Samsung says their drives are working on Linux but are only optimized for Windows performance and their firmware update tool only runs on Windows. Shouldn't we punish them by not buying their drives until they change their...
  8. MrCalvin

NVMe heatsink / cooling

Would like to hear your opinion and ideas for NVMe cooling solutions, most obvious is a heatsink I guess. First of all is it necessary? The reviews I've read of NVMe's with pre-installed heatsinks, e.g. WD Black SN750, the heatsink didn't seem to make that big a difference in performance (kind...
  9. MrCalvin

EXT4 optimization (Journal, checksum, QEMU, LVM, MDADM)

I've decide to use mdadm RAID1(root) and RAID5(data) on my servers and my final choice of filesystem was EXT4 for both (did consider btrfs, XFS and ZFS, but looking at all pros/cons I ended up with EXT4). I've started wondering about a few things in regards to performance optimizing: Twice...
  10. MrCalvin

FS Windows Server std 2016 license, 16 core

Got a unopened/unused license/DVD of Windows Server Std. 2016 with support for 16 cores and 5 cals. Anyone interested? Can ship or transfer digitally. P/N P73-07041 EAN: 889842140590 It seems street price is about €1165 / $1345
  11. MrCalvin

Corsair MP510 SSD no TRIM support on Linux

I couldn't resist the recent price-drop on SSD's so I got myself a pair of 240GB Corsair MP510 M.2 NVMe to get my SuperMicro's dual M.2 PCIe adapter to shine. I never got it to work with my two "old" 32GB Optanes, but that's another story. Back to the Corsair drive. When I try to discard the...
  12. MrCalvin

The perfect HDD bay (vibration-reduction)

I'm thinking of creating some customized HDD brackets for my 2U server cabinet (also of the custom type). At first I thought of placing the HDDs in some kind of rubber suspensions to eliminate any vibrations from other HDDs, coolers in the cabinet and other external vibrations (vibrations...
  13. MrCalvin

Proxmox VE and "simple" storage

I've not been able to get good and stable storage performance with ESX using simple storage like non-cache RAID controller, SATA drives, RAID-1.. Try to copy a file to you guest OS bigger than 5GB and you'll see your transfer speed drop to below 20MB/s caused by severe disk latency issues)...
  14. MrCalvin

High CPU usage on disk use

I'm supprised to see the high CPU usage in guest VM on disk activity. 1-core CPU setup: up to 70% 2-core CPU setup: about 30%. CPU usage on host is 2%. System configurations: -Host and guest OS: MS Server 2016 -SATA discs (Harddisk WD Re 500GB SATA, and SSD ADATA SP920 128GB) -SATA onboard...
  15. MrCalvin

SAS controller read/write to disks once every second?

I have a Fujitsu CP400i x8 SAS controller (LSI SAS3008 based). As soon the controller has initialized (when the PC's BIOS/UEFI initialize) I can hear the disks "clicks" (heads make a move) once every second. So this is not a driver or OS issue, this is on the controller level. I have SATA disks...
  16. MrCalvin

Fujitsu SAS-3008 RAID contr. on ESX host...how to manage?

I just got a FUJITSU CP400i x8 RAID controller (SAS-3008 based) as I found out the Intel SATA controller (C232 chipset) seem to have some driver issues both on Hyper-V and ESX ....but that's another story, but nevertheless interesting. Fujitsu have a RAID manager called Server View RAID that...
  17. MrCalvin

Asus with very strange ATX-20 pin-out

I made a mistake, I opened the manual of my new Asus P10S-I ITX mobo and read it and now I'm in trouble!. Now I don't dear to connect my ATX PSU The ATX 20-pin out in the manual says this: This doesn't look like the default ATX 20 pin-out?....Or I'm missing something? The standard 20-pin...