Search results

1. MrCalvin

PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

For which drive, PM9A3?...Cannot see it?
  2. MrCalvin

Matrox Luma A310 - Interesting new card for Proxmox pass-through?

I wonder if it support multiple VMs? It's based in Intel ARC chip. Not a word about use in virtual environment in their marketing-text.
  3. MrCalvin

PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

Just received one PM9A3 960GB M.2 as they are really cheap now, got mine for €120 / $136 from a reseller. Came with newest firmware GDC7302Q And so far it outperforms my Hynix P31 500GB and Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB with 10-30% on MS-SQL. (running on PCIe Gen3 mobo) Measured power-consumption...
  4. MrCalvin

dedicated m.2 for TempDB in MS SQL Linux

You might consider a drive with PLP (Power-Loss-Protection), Samsung PM9A3 /983 DCT, don't look at performance numbers, what matters is that the SQL server can write synchronize IO to the power-loss-protected memory on the drive instead of writing to the "slow" nans. Actually, a SATA SSD with...
  5. MrCalvin

SR-IOV and NIC Passthrough

I know it's a little off-topic, but how big it the gain of NIC SR-IOV on KVM, is it really worth it, talking "normal" network traffic. I bridge my onboard i210/i219s to my VMs and I see very good performance, couldn't really ask for more. Talking iSCSI or similar, that might be another story...
  6. MrCalvin

(Proxmox) Single drive for Boot and VMs

Why does placing root and VM disk on the same drive increase wear-out? Let's say compared to placing root and VM disk on each 256GB M.2? I would claim it would be even worse. I don't in general see a lot of IO of the root-volumes, regardless of being root-volume of VM or the hypervisor.
  7. MrCalvin

Free virtualization OS

That's some advanced features for someone without a budget :-P
  8. MrCalvin

Free virtualization OS

Any reasons why it wouldn't work in KVM/QEMU based hypervisors? Is it really a hardware thing? If all the "magic" happens in the VM OS? At the very least if you pass-through two HBA's to your Win VM it should work, right? Just curious.
  9. MrCalvin

I have fallen in love with MooseFS

The bad performance must be a matter of enable/disable synchronous I/O. If you disable on ZFS (with is the same as XFS default) I assume the speed would be fine. Not fair to compare ZFS with synchronous-I/O-ON and XFS synchronous-I/O-OFF...has to be the same ;-)
  10. MrCalvin

Pro version deliver "Data Redundancy with Erasure Coding" (whatever that means), but I sounds like something you don't wanna run without.
  11. MrCalvin

Any price info? It's always a bad sign when you have to "get a quotation" to buy a product.
  12. MrCalvin

SSDs with plp?

But their support sucks, their firmware and tools sucks and their 5300 Pro (SATA with PLP, a so-called RAID and enterprise target drive) doesn't support SCTERC/TLER, which is a big blinking neon-sign saying STAY AWAY And if you open up the drive it just look cheap build, even the solder-joins...
  13. MrCalvin

Strange MDADM RAID 6 behaviour

A good example of running "stable" (older kernel) doesn't always mean you get a stable system! RHEL comes to my mind where an old kernel is chosen to give the highest stability, but it is true? I feel there is a exaggerated trust in old kernels. (sorry going a little off topic)
  14. MrCalvin

Enabling Intel GPU on Supermicro X11-SCA-F ?

It was more for general info in regards to make use of the iGPU in a VM (passthrough). And if a board doesn't have additional display outputs (beside the Aspeed BMC VGA output) then it is in particularly relevant to check for VHD support on the board.
  15. MrCalvin

Enabling Intel GPU on Supermicro X11-SCA-F ?

Additional info: the motherboard need to have VHD support to provide power to the iGPU otherwise the iGPU is not visible to the system at all. https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=26157
  16. MrCalvin

Anyone with a IronWolf 125 Pro SSD out there (ERC support)?

I'm pretty sure the change for ERC-support is a lot higher if the drive says it does. But yes, you can never know for sure, but I'm unfortunately not in the position to make my own drive so I have to go with the 2nd best ;-)
  17. MrCalvin

But it is my assumption that must drives DO spend too much time trying to solve any "internal" problems, which actually is a good thing, unless it's running in a RAID configuration. So I do find it to be a very important feature. But on the fair side, I could imagine that platter-disks...
  18. MrCalvin

Would like to know if this disk support ERC (Error Recovery Control) which is rather a must-have for RAID use. Can be determine by the command: smartctl -l scterc /dev/sda I did try Seagate support but they didn't really know what I was talking about and gave me a nonsense answer. Some...
  19. MrCalvin

RHEL LVM RAID does have bit-rot protecting!

Thanks for the correction and happy to hear. Maybe I should consider returning to Debian :-)
  20. MrCalvin

RHEL LVM RAID does have bit-rot protecting!

As it turn out it's not an LVM feature, but been in the kernel since 4.12 apparently introduced for LUKS but work with mdadm too. Don't know if RHEL added any additional stability/performance tweaking if you configure it under LVM instead of doing it native Linux, I'm guessing not. But you must...