Search results

1. D

Graphics card for HP 800 G4 SFF?

What is the max length of a gpu that can fit in this case? I want to add a Tesla P4, they are cheap on ebay and come with a fan attached, but would like to know if it will fit. Here is what the seller image shows - also can it be installed in either of the PCI slots? I know one is only x4.
  2. D

SuperMicro server questions for use as a JBOD DAS?

ok, thats too bad. I addressed the other option you suggest in my earlier reply. Since I already have a newer and faster pc to use as a server I don't see the point in using the old Nehalem era hw.
  3. D

ok, so its 3x120mm fans. Had an idea from a video I saw, could I use something like this - Supermicro X8SIE-F Server Motherboard LGA 1156 Socket H ATX DDR3 1U 2U Intel PCI 672042055890 | eBay, X8SIE-F? without any cpu/ram, will be used just for power and it has IPMI and more fans. Its an older...
  4. D

btw, do 140mm fans not fit in the case? no one seems to use them so I assume not. also with just using as JBOD there will no PWM or fan control, so the fans would run at 100% always right?
  5. D

@Fallen Kell that is also an option. I just thought that using the HP I already have as a main server is cheaper and simpler. Are you suggesting buying a new mobo + cpu and putting it in the SM? Its a long story - my original idea was to use the SuperMicro as a server like you said. I have my...
  6. D

great, more options. That one looks like it costs quite a bit more though.
  7. D

Thanks. I don't see myself upgrading the backplane but good to know. this won't connect to the 8088 cable though right? it says mini-sas HD. how would the other end connect to the backplane? Also, do these LSI cards need cooling? I remember reading that somewhere. I will be putting these in...
  8. D

I was just thinking, why do I need internal 8087 port on the HBA? its just going in the PCI slot on the server, so all it needs is external port right?
  9. D

is that an HBA? how come its so cheap? will it work to connect to backplane for all 24 drives and replace the LSI card, which hopefully I can sell?
  10. D

is this whats needed? 2 of these - https://www.amazon.com/MITATTOK-SFF-8087-High-Speed-Controllers-Backplanes/dp/B0CKN8LRPX SM DAS - connects to backplane server - connects to LSI card and https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-External-SFF-8088-Cable-1-Meter/dp/B01KH9OMNY
  11. D

doesn't the HBA need to go in the server? the DAS is just the disks no? I searched for HBA but it seems they either come with internal 8087 or external 8088 not both. wont it use more power than the smaller board designed for DAS? I wasn't able to find any
  12. D

I have an old server with following hardware - 846E16-R1200B chassis 2x Xeon L5630 cpu LSI 9223-8i dual port 6 controller flashed with 9211-8i firmware in IT mode backplane BPN-SAS2-846EL1 PSU which I replaced with PWS-920P-SQ original fans Unfortunately I wasn't able to use it much due to...
  13. D

846 Fan Wall

These look useful! I'm deciding whether I need to replace fan wall with 3x120mm fans in my 846 chassis or just replace the fans. If I do replace fan wall I'll certainly order these.
  14. D

SuperMicro SC846 questions

This is pretty much what I'd like to do as well. How much did you pay for the fans if you don't mind me asking and where did you buy them from? When I look online they are $20-30 each. Same for CPU heatsink, I'm considering the SM active heatsink but don't mind a cheaper option if its just as...
  15. D

You make good points about power draw. But I'm not even sure what the power draw of the system I'm considering will be like. What would you recommend as low power build instead? Do you own existing drives that will go into the system? Qty? Yes I do. I have 20 drives ready to go in of various...
  16. D

Planning to purchase following server from ebay seller - Chassis: CSE-846E16-R1200B, 24 3.5 bays Motherboard: X9DRi-F Backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 cpu: dual E5-2620 v2 controller card: LSI 9211-4i HBA - Is this a good config or do you suggest any changes? I live in an apartment and have been...
  17. D

Supermicro unRAID System From MrRackables

Which are the Texas shops? I bought a server from TamSolutions, and everything worked.
  18. D

Supermicro unRAID System From MrRackables

I've looked at many of their auctions, but I didn't realize they could do custom builds. I also saw your post on the unRaid forums, I wish more people would go this route rather than building desktop pc's which won't have anywhere near the build quality or expansion.
  19. D

Refurbished HGST Internal Hard Drive HUA722020ALA331 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $40

I bought it for $30 as well, its been working great so far.
  20. D

Replacing SuperMicro mid-chassis fans

No, no, and no. So what do you suggest? Is there any fan thats better than the original fans and is quieter? I'd prefer if they were 80mm and fit in the fan cages, but I am willing to look at 120mm fans too if they are better.