Search results

1. 0

Storage Spaces issues (BSODs on writes plus "consider replacing drive" message)

I tried plugging in only the Toshiba 3TB and then adding the WD back in, Storage Spaces now says the WD drive is "OK" again but still gives a reduced resiliency warning for the Storage Space itself. The logs just say "Crash dump initilization failed" followed by "The system has rebooted without...
  2. 0

Storage Spaces issues (BSODs on writes plus "consider replacing drive" message)

So I have a storage space that consists of two USB3.0 portable hard disks, a 3TB Toshiba and a 3TB WD, mirrored, formatted in REFS with integrity checks enabled and bitlocker enabled. I use such a setup because I need the setup to work with both my desktop and another desktop at my parent's...
  3. 0

Looking for reliable portable storage

Hello, I regularly move between locations with different desktop computers, so I keep the main copy of my files on a portable drive using USB 3. Initially I used a Seagate 1.5TB, which worked well most of the time but would get the occassional bad sector that would corrupt a file. Then I got...
  4. 0

Using ReFS for single drives

After giving things some thought I am still leaning towards simply using a single drive with ReFS checksumming. I don't think my data requires automatic replacement, but I do want to know if I'm about to overwrite my backup with a corrupt file. With that being said, does anyone know what...
  5. 0

I didn't realize that storage spaces could be used on USB drives but I did a bit of Google-ing and it sounds like it works... I would probably avoid the 4TB 2.5 inch Seagate's though since I understand they use SMR, unlike the 3TB inch WDs. I am trying to decide that at the moment. One side...
  6. 0

Thank you for the replies. To clarify: I intend to back up the data on the drive. My concern is that if a file on my main drive becomes corrupt, I may not realize it until after that corrupt file has been copied to the backups. I am hoping that ReFS can help prevent this will still returning...
  7. 0

Hello, This isn't a server question, but I thought this might be a good place to ask for advice as there aren't a lot of ReFS users on more general hardware forums. As I regularly move between two locations with different desktop computers, I recently bought a 3TB WD Passport to store a bunch...