Search results

1. cheezehead

Quick hardware question

All depends on the workload. For TrueNAS the hardware is overkill on the cpu side and possibly the ram depending on how much space or active space you need. Ram will get used as ARC space (read cache) before L2Arc comes into play. If you have lots of ram, adding L2Arc may not be of any help...
  2. cheezehead

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

Migrating to a mix of Server 2022 with Hyper-V and Proxmox for at home. At work we are looking at Server 2022 with Hyper-V (2025 rebuilds this coming winter), most of the hosts are already licensed for datacenter and all the third party integrations are already there. Veeam integrations are the...
  3. cheezehead

Power consumption: desktop vs "mini pc"

While a lower draw is always better, also factor in UPS runtime and local power costs. Around here, I can save a sizable chunk on slightly less efficient hardware but it only costs a few dollars/year in electric with a power saving ROI vs electric spent of 5+yrs.
  4. cheezehead

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

I generally don't tell them how all the filtering works. DHCP reservations to firewall drop all after bedtime, otherwise some basic anti-malware filters and blocking a few countries. their tablets are locked down, no browsers yet (younger ones). Otherwise just general parenting on what's out...
  5. cheezehead

SFP+ write codes

HP compatible optics have an extra chip compared to everyone else. HP optics can be coded to Cisco/Juniper/Palo/ect but not the other way around. Just looking at changing the optic revision coding to a more recent revision (J9151A to J9151E and J9150A to J9150D mainly).
  6. cheezehead

SFP+ write codes

Does anyone have any lists of 4-byte hex write codes for optic reprogramming? For some generic no-names out of china i've found the two following work with some suppliers. 00 00 00 00 12 34 56 78 While some 3rd party suppliers off up their own SFP programmers, I've been stuck a few times now...
  7. cheezehead

Cheap HPE stuff (modules, AOCs, DACs, cables), smells fishy to you?

To verify the optics and AOC's, you'll need a SFP programmer to do a full read off the modules. In general programmers will modify the user portion of the EEPROM to make optics look like whatever so the switches are happy but the manufacture memory portion is restricted and a lot harder to...
  8. cheezehead

Switching from Synology to TrueNAS - Need build help

All depends on your actual usage, if hardware is laying around then you may want to play a bit. 1) Depending on workflow, could be for ZIL or L2ARC 2) 32GB might be ok or could be very undersized. Given the chassis maxed at 12x12TB drives, you could be pushing 256GB of ram in the right...
  9. cheezehead

4TB 3PAR drives in sleds $52

Fyi, 3Par drives run custom firmware for their arrays and ymmv for how well it works outside of it. I've got a couple of 3Par spinner arrays with a mix of Hitachi and Seagate drives in them, I haven't seen failure rates any higher with either manufacture.
  10. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

With wiping the OS, flashing alone does partially convert it to instant but without the region code it will only boot once.
  11. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

With the newer code there is only one image per platform...different model AP's still have different firmware. The MC is still needed to load the region information (I believe) onto the unit not accessible normally or via apboot.
  12. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

Any idea if this can be accomplished an unlicensed MC? AP's will still connect, but afaik you just can't enable any SSIDs unless I'm thinking of 6.x days. Your AP is on the 6.4 code. AP can be upgraded through the controller or via tftp. Via TFTP and console cable .....assuming you have...
  13. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

What model are you using? Seeing similar issues with some AP-224's. Also, you don't need the Mobility Master....the controllers still can run fully featured in a standalone mode.
  14. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

Sounds good, have a couple of AP-224's showing up next week;)
  15. cheezehead

Aruba AP to IAP

ap convert You might be able to via TFTP and a console cable..
  16. cheezehead

Does any one have experience with the Dell SCv3020 units?

Have an SCv2020 at one site connected via SAS to the hosts. It works for the most part, dual controllers (active/passive) so the vmware hosts don't care when we patch it. With recent code there is an HTML5 interface for handling pretty much everything. Raid sets you can re-stripe on the...
  17. cheezehead

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

18+ months later and the thread is still kicking:D SFP+ modules are SPF+ modules. Pre-HPE firmware use to be pretty open, but the newer firmware builds are "whitelisting" certain part numbers to be "supported". Unsupported, can still work just fine. If you have an SFP coding box, the validation...
  18. cheezehead

Lantronix Spider KVM End of the Line?

Raritan KX3 kvm switches are all over HTML5
  19. cheezehead

Vmware changes ESXi license because of AMD Epyc and Intel CPUs with more than 32 cores

The 48c sku likely will take a hit in favor of either higher clocked 32c or 64c skus for vmware deployments. If the hardware is used for bare metal, hyperv, kvm, proxmox, ect they would be unaffected. The single socket 64c, while going forward eventually will not be as much of a TCO savings...
  20. cheezehead

Licenseageddon Rages as VMware Overhauls Per-Socket Licensing

Just wish they would update their base core counts included 8c per DC license is a joke these days, it should be updated with each new WS release.