Search results

1. J

[FS] [US] Supermicro X9 + Xeons + DDR3 ECC UDIMM memory

Moving some of this hardware, I have multiples of most things for redundancy. These setups measured ~30w idle/80w max on my Kill-a-watt iirc, which is respectable while being powerful enough for a fair bit of virtualization. 3 x X9SCi-LN4F (quad 1GbE) - Supermicro | Products | Motherboards |...
  2. J

CPU necessary for 1Gbit symmetrical w/ Suricata

Any input into how much CPU firepower I need for IDS/IPS with Suricata? I know it varies by ruleset, but personal experiences would be helpful. I'm running OPNSense virtualized on Proxmox right now, hosted on a Sandy Bridge E3-1265L with two cores assigned, and I lose about half my throughput...
  3. J

Supermicro X10DRi-F dual LGA2011-3 motherboard

For sale, low hours, only used for processor and memory validation. Looks like the lowest these have ever sold for on eBay were $370 shipped. Asking $315 shipped.
  4. J

Refurb 3TB Ultrastar: $55 shipped

This popped up in my feed, Newegg dropped these $10/drive. HGST Ultrastar 3TB 64MB 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F17731)
  5. J

FS: Netgear GSM7352S 48-port gigabit switch + 2 24 Gb stacking modules

This is from Netgear's stackable line, with full layer 3 capabilities. Some scratches and whatnot, but functional. Switch isn't silent, but is probably one of the quieter things on my rack. The 4 SFP ports are 1 GB, the stacking modules are 24 Gbit and take standard CX4 infiniband cabling. I'm...
  6. J

Reg DDR4 memory swap 32GB -> 16GB

I have 4 sticks of 32GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz, I'm looking to trade to 8 sticks of 16GB since I'd like to spread it across a few more nodes. I have: KVR24R17D4/32MA x 2 MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3A1IG x 2 I'm running them all on the same Supermicro X10DRi board currently. Send me what you got if you're...
  7. J

eBay flash sale coupon

Good till 9 PM PST. $15 off 75 CDECFLASHSAVE
  8. J

400GB S3710 - $135 OBO

These are coming down ever so slowly, I got in with an offer of 4@130/ea. Intel® SSD DC S3710 Series (400GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC) SSDSC2BA400G4 | eBay
  9. J

Supermicro X9SCI-LN4 in CSE-815 chassis - $82 shipped each

Supermicro 1U Server X9SCI-LN4F Barebones (Add Your CPU / Memory / Hard Drives) | eBay LGA1155 machines are getting pretty inexpensive, this includes the 1U chassis, HSF, PSU, 4 caddies, + mobo. You can't throw a ton of cores in it to make a hyper-converged server, but Sandy/Ivy Bridge 1155...
  10. J

Low power layer 3 switch?

I don't need a ton of packet capacity; just looking to clean up my rack and not burn too many watts in the process. GbE is plenty as well; I'll have the QFPs+ setup point-to-point for the foreseeable future. Layer 3 would be nice for VLAN capability, but perhaps I can deal w/ a couple layer 2s...
  11. J

Video cards with side/rear mounted PCIe power

Supermicro has a few 1U chassis with proprietary mobos to support one or two dual slot, full height gfx/compute cards, I acquired one and I'm attempting to find some cards that fit without breaking the bank. Question is, what cards have side mounted (or rear mounted, depending on who you ask)...
  12. J

Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB 8GB PC3-12800E

Seller has 10+ available for $30 a piece. SK Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB 8GB (1x8GB) PC3-12800E-11-12-E3 Memory RAM | eBay
  13. J

WTB: 8GB DDR3 12800E sticks

I have a bunch of servers that still run these, could go for a pair to a few pairs. ECC unbuffered. Thanks.
  14. J

Processors and ideal temps

Just curious... I see users on here trying to minimize their CPU temps as much as possible, even on low TDP chips like the Atoms and Xeon D's that stay under 60 deg when pegged with a synthetic test. Assuming this is a longevity play since overclocking is mostly not an option - at what...
  15. J

Xeon E3-1265L - what is this chip?

I picked up one of these on eBay, but it doesn't appear in Intel ARK at all; the only processors in ARK are the 1260L V1 and the 1265L V2. I'm not running Windows on it so I can't fire up HWinfo, is there something I can get from a linux util? The info tool on the cpustress ISO seems to state...
  16. J

Supermicro 1U converting to redundant power supply

Is it as simple as swapping out the PDUs and buying two new slimmer PSs?
  17. J

btrfs: sector size and other musings

I'm running btrfs in a RAID10, I chose it over a zfs (which I'm also running concurrently) because of it's exapandability, but I'm sort of rethinking my position. I have several issues currently, the drives are currently a mismatch sector size, which I don't know why it would do because I...
  18. J

NEW 2TB Hitachi @ $50/piece SAS2

Note, these are SAS2 drives. Note, these are SAS2 drives. Note, these are SAS2 drives. Okay, making sure you all saw that. I put in 5@40 and got countered to 5@45 which I accepted. HITACHI HUS723020ALS640 0B26312 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s HDD Good luck.
  19. J

FS: Kingston Micron D9SRK 2x32GB DDR4 2400MHz RDIMM

I'm planning to switch to LRDIMMs, so I'm putting these up for sale. Server was sitting idle waiting for parts, so these ran memtest86+ for a about two weeks straight on my Supermicro X10DRi with zero errors. Purchased from Newegg here: Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server...
  20. J

Drive mix and topography for a mixed database VM host

I'm trying to get a good judge of how I should use my available drives for my use case. I have currently: 1x 64GB Supermicro SATA DOM 2x 256GB consumer SSD (Plextor M6 Pro, Crucial m4) 2x Intel S3700 800GB 3x 2TB HGST SATA drives I'm not opposed to adding drives, but this is what I have...