Search results

1. L

Samsung SM961 NVMe M.2 post-restart detection issue (in an HPE ProLiant TM200 (EC200a))

Having an issue with my recent toys, a Samsung SM961 1TB M.2 SSD and the HPE ProLiant TM200, related to booting from this drive. I can install on and boot from the M.2 when mounted in the TM200. It works, but only partially. And it's the bad kind of partially. It only boots from, and even only...
  2. L

RAM capacity with limited DIMM slots on mini-ITX

I'm looking at buying a mini-ITX server based on the ASUS P10S-I which sports 2 DIMM slots and an LGA1151 socket for CPUs like Xeon E3-1275v6. The motherboard capacity says max 32GB RAM (16GB per module), since there are only 2 DIMMS instead of 4. The official CPU support according to Intel is...
  3. L

EU Intel SSD DC S3700 400GB 2.5" @ £159.99 (€185 / $228)

Perhaps not an amazing deal, but still one of the better prices I've seen in EU for this kind of drive. No Best Offer available unfortunately, and limited information in the listing. Says "pulled from new laptops", which is a bit odd. 9 sold over the past month, with more than 10 still...
  4. L

Icy Dock MB324SP-B and 3.3V drives?

Has anyone used Icy Dock MB324SP-B with drives which require 3.3V? MB324SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure It's...
  5. L

Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN in FreeBSD 10.3 via passthrough in VMware ESXi

Does anyone have the Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN running in FreeBSD 10.3 in passthrough under VMware ESXi? I have the single port 10 Gbps SFP+ version, and the performance I can squeeze out of a point-to-point connection (with 9000 byte jumbo frames) between a physical Windows 7 machine and a...
  6. L

LSI SAS2008, IR mode, RAID 1 with two S3700; poor performance for a while after reboot

I have two LSI SAS2008 9212-4i4e in my server. Both with FW 20.00.04.00. One in IR mode, used for ESXi datastore. One in IT for passthrough to a VM (FreeNAS). The LSI card in IR mode has two Intel SSD DC S3700 400GB drives in a RAID 1 array. I did a secure erase of the Intel drives on a...
  7. L

Active DAC with Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN?

I've got two Mellanox ConnectX-2 working well with a Cisco branded 5 meter passive DAC. I read the firmware changelog which says up to 7 meter DAC support had been added. I assumed this was a constraint for passive DAC only. I have a 10 meter, also Cisco branded, active DAC. This cable does...
  8. L

How to stabilize 3.3V rail of stand-alone PSU?

I'm looking for ideas for how to stabilize an almost unloaded 3.3V rail of a stand-alone PSU. Current setup has me using a stand-alone PSU to power additional HDDs which my server's main PSU are not equipped to handle. Also, the Fujitsu server PSU supplies only 12V to the motherboard, and the...
  9. L

Where to buy full height brackets for Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN with single SFP+ port?

I bought a pair of Mellanox ConnectxX-2 EN single SFP+ port card (MNPA19-XTR) from ebay. The picture and description also mentioned it was with low profile bracket (i.e. XSR model), but I came to an agreement with the seller to have it shipped with full height brackets (and a longer cable than...
  10. L

Micro SATA adapter, recommendations?

What are some good micro SATA (1.8" SSD) to regular SATA adapters which you would recommend? Preferably with 2.5" or even 3.5" form factor, and with 3.3V passed through, e.g. not using an on-board (and likely relatively cheap, poor quality) voltage regulator.
  11. L

SAS2008 HBA in IR mode for RAID 1, expected performance?

Does anyone have experience with SAS2008 based HBA in IR mode with at least two HDDs in RAID 1? Two SSDs in RAID 1? What performance do you have? I have an LSI 9212-4i4e (SAS2008) in IR mode (P20 FW), currently with 2x Western Digital RE 320 GB drives (first gen I believe) I had left over from...