Search results

1. L

HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

The fan mod works great, I've so far only had it hooked up direct via a very basic perfboard hack job so the fan is running at 100% but still reasonably quiet. Due to a lack of time I haven't fine-tuned the PWM conversion circuit I was working on, which I wanted to improve before resorting to...
  2. L

Fan mod update A simple drop-in replacement with just about any 40mm 12V fan (thickness 28mm or less) is possible as long as you short the fan failure detection wire to ground. I ordered a bundle of 4-pin PicoBlade extension cables from aliexpress (...
  3. L

With the storage expansion and stock cooling? How many HDDs, and what are their temps? I can't find specifics on the fan used for the expansion unit but it looks like it is a single fan and could be the same fan model as in the main unit, in which case I would have expected it to be fairly...
  4. L

I went a little deeper with the tach sense. Most interesting is the stock Delta fan's behavior. The amount of current flowing from the board's tach sense pin into the fan tach wire when the fan is in a "fan OK" state is... *drum roll* right at the 0.67mA level! It's a simple short to ground...
  5. L

Couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong, so I did some more experimentation. The PWM signal comes from the 3rd pin counting from ground, the pin next to the 12V power pin, corresponding to the blue cable to the fan. It is not the 2nd pin, next to ground, going to yellow fan cable as...
  6. L

Has anyone made further attempts at proper fan replacement mods? I want to attempt a fan swap on my TM200 (Japanese unit). As is popular for various fan mods, a Noctua NF-A4x20 would be suitable, and I think even at default fan curves or worst case full power, maybe with a touch of manual speed...
  7. L

RAM capacity with limited DIMM slots on mini-ITX

Been running with the 64 GB (2x32) since my last post here, and it's seemingly rock solid beyond those initial (I assume false positive) errors on boot. I can't speak for any impact to actual ECC behavior (detection or correction), but so far I have not had any problems. I run Proxmox with ZFS...
  8. L

I've heard there may be options with the 8C16T Xeon D-1537, but I haven't seen any for sale. My TM200 has the regular 4C8T Xeon D-1518.
  9. L

I did this with an EC200a from Japan. Confirmed I can change the fan control settings, but it's unfortunate that the settings are not persistently saved.
  10. L

Samsung SM961 NVMe M.2 post-restart detection issue (in an HPE ProLiant TM200 (EC200a))

Supermicro support post, similar issue, but not helpful beyond saying "upgrade firmware". https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=26299
  11. L

Samsung SM961 NVMe M.2 post-restart detection issue (in an HPE ProLiant TM200 (EC200a))

Just a bunch of broken links everywhere, and nowhere to even find a hint of firmware. :) https://www.reddit.com/user/NewMaxx/comments/bmkyqu/sm961_general_information_post/f1yznxm/ Someone in this old reddit thread is on the same hunt for FW as I am.
  12. L

Pulled out some more details about my drive. Model: MZ-VKW1T00 Product number: MZVKW1T0HMLH-00000 Firmware: CXA7200Q Not sure which OEM should provide firmware for this one. There's no indication of OEM on the label. Maybe it's an early production unit, it says "Rev 0" and seems to have a...
  13. L

Having an issue with my recent toys, a Samsung SM961 1TB M.2 SSD and the HPE ProLiant TM200, related to booting from this drive. I can install on and boot from the M.2 when mounted in the TM200. It works, but only partially. And it's the bad kind of partially. It only boots from, and even only...
  14. L

2nd stick is now installed, and this seemingly "false positive" initial error reporting remains quite consistent. Now memtest86 running on baremetal reports around 26 correctable errors (in pairs, 13 per stick) after a cold boot. After triggering these errors and issuing a soft restart...
  15. L

If this was an officially supported combination, and anything more than a hobby project, then I'd be more inclined to agree.
  16. L

Strange behavior I'm seeing do not seem to be due to any BIOS changes, so more likely it's down to platform limitations or some combination with this DIMM. They are related only to using the 32GB stick, on its own or with a 4GB stick doesn't seem to matter much. The PC currently has Proxmox...
  17. L

I got this exact same behavior with only the single stick of 32GB DDR4 ECC memory. Happens almost every time. Only once after a fresh reboot have I not seen this same string of 8-9 errors. I have though been running some more tests while mucking about in the BIOS to see if I can get this to go...
  18. L

Initial results are in. 1x32GB works. 1x32GB + 1x4GB works. There's possibly something odd going on, though. Not sure if it's significant enough to be a deal-breaker though. When I run memtest86, I get 8 "ECC Error Detected" (corrected errors) in the first two or three tests executed on the...
  19. L

For some additional confirmation bias, I found this German reseller with a 100% compatibility guarantee for what seems to be their own 32GB modules (and 2x32GB for 64GB total) with the ASUS P10S-I motherboard. The 32GB modules listed are non-ECC, though. Their ECC UDIMMs are at most 16GB each...
  20. L

That is promising! I may just go ahead and give it a try.