Search results

1. R

Voltaire/Mellanox 4036 trying to get CLI to work

Thanks Mark. It seems worse case for me would be no IB VLAN's, which is not really an issue for me. If I do not use DHCP for IB then that is ok as well. I think all my VM's will have 3 interfaces, in order of preference: 1) Hyperv internal virtual switch - VM data traffic for VM's within a...
  2. R

Can a nic using SR-IOV in hyper-v can be shared by multiple vm's or just one? Perhaps I'll test IB and SR-IOV tonight. In the event I cannot get CLI access to my 4036 I'm thinking that if I uplink the 4036 to the v1910 I could then more easily use VLAN+DHCP across all VM's I'm wondering if a...
  3. R

Thanks Chuntzu. I do have my DC's as VM's; Server 2012 now supports DC's as VM's. Since I have 30+ VM's running I was thinking DHCP reserved leases would make things easier; especially for quick provisioning of new test VM's. From what I've read and tested, if you want SMB it seems you can't...
  4. R

Thanks for the terminology and link. I'll start reading ASAP. It's a homelab. I'll outline the details in the event anyone has suggestions or comments. I still need to workup a diagram. I run essentially all Windows Server 2012 R2. On the 4036 I currently have two(2) hyperv servers which use...
  5. R

I just acquired a Mellanox 4036. It works but I'm still having trouble getting to the serial CLI to configure it. Hopefully a new Cisco cable will resolve it. I want to use VLAN's on the switch to separate SAN and VM data. Anyone using VLAN's on the 4036 or have any tips? Thanks.
  6. R

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR

I now have SAN1 with a dual-port Mellanox 29C and then two servers SERVER1 and SERVER2 each with a Mellanox 19B. Any recommendations on configuration of the Mellanox adapters for use with SMB 3.0? Must I use ETH (10Gb) or can I use IB (40Gb)? Currently I have each port of SAN1 configured as...
  7. R

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR

Windows Server 2012 on all three servers. I'm wanting to use IB solely because the two servers will be HyperV with the VM drives on the SAN so they can handle quick failover. Today I just finalized on the SAN hardware. SuperMicro SC846-E26 chassis, X9SRA with Xeon E5-2609, LSI 9271-8i with...
  8. R

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR for half price

Ok thanks!
  9. R

I don't know the difference. What i the signification of the B? Thanks.
  10. R

This ebay'er is accepting $100 per card. There are 6 remaining. Just make an offer for $100 per card. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390471201029&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160&autorefresh=true
  11. R

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR

Would I need to bridge if all I want to do is have the two servers be able to talk to the file server? Meaning: FILESERVER-PORT1 <-----> SERVER1 FILESERVER-PORT2 <-----> SERVER2 And SERVER1 cannot communicate to SERVER2 via IB And I was thinking of using IPoIB or is that not even...
  12. R

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR

Without a switch, would the following configuration work? A file server with dual IB (MHQH29C-XTR) connected to two servers with a single IB (MHQH19B-XTR) ? Would each IB on the file server need to use a different subnet? Thanks.