Search results

1. J

Xeon E5 2683 v3 and 3200mhz RAM?

I have a couple different builds I am thinking about. One of them is a single E5 2683 v3 on an enthusiast motherboard ( let's say this one since it supports a bunch of different memory speeds). The Specs for the CPU only support 2133 mhz ram but the motherboard supports DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 /...
  2. J

Why should I NOT get a dual CPU system

I am thinking about getting a dual CPU workstation. Other than additional cost why else shouldn't I get this system? Will I run into things I cannot do because I have 2 CPU's? I understand the pros (more power!) but what are the cons? I will be running Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 16.04.
  3. J

Filling Memory slots on Server boards

I want to use 2 E5 2683 v3 CPU's with the SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DAL-I motherboard. The motherboard has 8 ram slots and supports 2133mhz DDR4. I am thinking about getting a couple sticks of this ram as it may allow for easy expansion to higher amounts of ram. I know with enthusiast grade hardware you...
  4. J

How do I know if the CPU's on Ebay are the correct CPU?

I am interested in using used Xeon CPU's in a dual socket motherboard, I don't do much gaming anymore my rig is now used more for machine learning. TheseE5-2683 v3 (ebay link) CPU's seem to fit the bill are used on ebay and seem strangely affordable($700 for the pair) for the amount of computing...
  5. J

What does Motherboard Cache/core limit actually mean?

I am looking at the Supermicro X10DAL-i with dual E5-2683 v3 CPU's. The motherboard has a listed core/cache limit of 22 cores/ 55mb of cache. The dual CPU's will have a total of 24 physical cores and 70Mbs of cache. With this motherboard will only 22 cores work and only the first 55 mbs of cache...
  6. J

Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Mobo GPU's and power options

I want to use older server hardware to build a rig because I need at least 128gb or ram and it's cheaper than enthusiast grade options. I have a couple questions. I attached a picture of the X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard and you can see that there are no snaps to snap the GPU in. Will I still be able...