Search results

1. T

i225/i226 Intel NICs in 2024 - Still Issues?

What's the latest with the Intel i225/i226 Intel NICs? Previously, there were 3 revisions of the i225 (B1, B2, and B3) and then intel released the i226. I still see posts at various places with people still experiencing issues with all 4 versions of these nics and dropped connections to a...
  2. T

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

H11 series work great with Rome and have different feature options on the board if you’re going in that direction. I haven’t run into anything in real life that is bottlenecked by “only” pcie3 with the H11 series.
  3. T

AMD EPYC 7002 Triple Channel Memory

I ran my Epyc 7002 series for the longest time with quad channel memory (4x 32GB DDR4 3200) and recently upgraded to 8x channel with 4 more sticks of DDR4 32GB. I think you'd be fine running Hexa channel memory with 6x sticks. It would give you more memory bandwidth than you currently have...
  4. T

Epyc Rome 7F52 Upgrade from 7302P?

I received a 7F52 Epyc CPU and the upgrade went well! In Passmark Memtest86 v10.6 I noticed that the cache speeds and memory bandwidths are noticeably higher/faster on the 7F52 vs the 7302P, which I was not expecting. I ran Memtest86 a couple of times with cold reboots on each config and these...
  5. T

Supermicro BIOS & IPMI Listing (including older versions)

SM just pushed out some bios and IPMI firmware updates for the H11 series boards, first updates since 2021! They mainly address security issues, but I’m seeing little tweaks here and there that I don’t remember noticing previously. Probably a good time to refresh the links!
  6. T

Good tip. If I get the 7F52 it will go in a CSE-743 that has a 4x fan wall and with IPMI I can keep an eye on VRM temps and such.
  7. T

Nice systems and thx for the numbers. I'm thinking a 15-20% boost would be enough to make the upgrade worthwhile and get more time out of this workstation.
  8. T

Current machine for Davinci Resolve and photoshop has a 7302P (16c; 3.0ghz/3.3ghz, 128MB L3, 155w) with 8x 32gb DDR4-3200 to populate all 8x memory channels on a Supermicro H11SSL v2.0 series board. Recently saw that Rome 7F52 processors (16c; 3.5ghz/3.9ghz; 256MB L3; 240w) were going for about...
  9. T

280W TDP CPU in Supermicro 2U?

During your testing of the 63AP4 and 64AP4 heatsinks, was there any appreciable noise difference between the 2U and 4U heatsinks?
  10. T

Lack of CSE 846 chasis

Yep, air shrouds work too! I too use Supermicro active heatsinks in 2U chassis, helps keep things nice and quiet!
  11. T

Lack of CSE 846 chasis

The 847's are nice for density in a storage server. As far as the MB compartment, 2U's seem to be easier to cool than 4U MB compartments since the 2U height seems to help keep airflow focused over the MB components. Just my observations though. The 847 is literally a CSE-826 chassis melted...
  12. T

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Do the CLI commands work with Unleashed firmware?
  13. T

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Same here, had nothing but trouble with my UI. They did push a lot of firmware updates, but I felt more like a beta tester with most of them as inevitably, something that previously worked would get flakey. IMHO.
  14. T

NH-U14s with H11DSI

Not sure about width, but last I checked, the NH-U14's are too tall for a 4U server chassis.
  15. T

Recommendation for a decent 10G Base T 6+1 or 8 Switch (EDIT:and SMB Multichannel)

Hopefully this isn’t too OT, but if someone wanted to switch to 10GB SFP+ fiber NIC’s, what are some of the recommendations for using in ESXI?
  16. T

Recommendation for a decent 10G Base T 6+1 or 8 Switch (EDIT:and SMB Multichannel)

Managed 5, 8, 12, 16 port 10GbE/10 SFP+ switches that are reasonably priced and relatively quiet are still quite rare. Shame we're still having to hunt unicorns in 2023.
  17. T

Bridging Ethernet Ports in Virtualized Firewall on ESXI

I am using the VMXNET3 drivers on ESXI 8 w/OPNsense as I've had the best luck performance-wise with them.
  18. T

Good deal, thank you, I'll take a look at those tweaking suggestions as well. I did add the OPNsense system tunables found in Step 6 here: https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/lan_bridge.html I may try playing around with those two tunables as well as I've seen mixed info as to whether...
  19. T

I actually got this working! Thank you for the directions. The bridge will pass 1.4gbps of traffic on a 2.4ghz E5-2680v4 cpu that speed boosted to 2.8ghz on each core. From what I could tell, a transfer across the bridge used one core per NIC. In total, ESXI was showing the OPNsense machine...
  20. T

Awesome, appreciate the details, I’ll give this a try!