Search results

1. O

Nonsensical diskspd results on tiered storage spaces volume

I know that's the craziest part!! I took your suggestion and ran the write tests. Crystal diskmark shows 500MB/s write speed, which makes sense subject to the same caveats above. Actually (unlike the read speed) it's better than I would have expected given that these are read optimized drives...
  2. O

Nonsensical diskspd results on tiered storage spaces volume

I created a multi-resiliency volume in storage spaces using the commands quoted at the end of this post. When I benchmark the resulting volume using Crystal Diskmark I get results that are more or less consistent with my expectations -- about 1,000 MB/s random 4K IO (250,000 IOPS) with 8...
  3. O

Motherboard sitting too low in Supermicro 743 chassis

I'm trying to install a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F in a Supermicro 743 chassis, and it is driving me completely crazy. Everything looks fine, but the motherboard is just a hair too low for the PCIe cards to click into place properly. To be clear the slots line up horizontally, but are a tiny bit too...
  4. O

Storage spaces mirror fault tolerance vs raid 10

Hi ... on the off chance that anyone is following this thread or comes across it on a google search I wanted to post a quick followup. Did a proof of concept consisting of: - "Performance tier" of 2x Intel S3500 SSDs, directly connected over SATA - "Capacity tier" of 2x HP HDD, configured as...
  5. O

I've ordered the parts for a proof of concept test! Should be here in the next week or so, and hoping I will be able to post an update shortly thereafter. Want to make sure that the basic concept works OK before going too far down this road, so the first test may be a little bit limited in...
  6. O

I suspect it probably won't but was planning on overriding via: Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName [disk name] -MediaType [SSD orHDD] One or two of the tiered storage spaces tutorials note that it's sometimes necessary to do that even with a more standard configuration. Am in the process of...
  7. O

Thanks very much for the reply! I know combining raid and storage spaces is an unusual and unsupported configuration, but earlier in the thread both cesmith and lamerk said that they had had success with doing so (although cesmith advised against adding tiering to the mix). If it is workable...
  8. O

I was thinking of an LSI 9270CV-8i card + an intel RES2SV240 sas expander controlling: - 8x WD Red drives in RAID 6 and - 4-8x Samsung Cloudspeeds (or Intel S3500 or similar) SSD in RAID 5 Will then use storage spaces as discussed above for tiered storage. Thinking about splitting the SSD array...
  9. O

That's awesome, thanks very much both of you! Two quick follow-up questions if you don't mind: - Any recommendations on what LSI chip generation (and other features) I should be looking for in my eBay shopping? Guessing I want 1-2GB of cache, but do I need a battery back up as well to avoid...
  10. O

That's a super clever idea. There's no reason that wouldn't work with tiered storage spaces, right? I'm hoping to have an SSD hot tier as well. Sorry to keep asking questions, but if I wanted to stick with just software raid would it be bad to trust Mirrored Spaces 1-drive failure tolerance on...
  11. O

Chris, thanks very much for replying -- it was one of your posts that I was actually referencing when I mentioned "massive deployments"! If I remember correctly, you said that you've managed Storage Spaces servers with 100 disks. How did you get comfortable with only one drive of failure...
  12. O

I've been considering a move to Windows Storage Spaces (single box, not S2D), with 8 HDD in a 4-column mirror configuration. My thought had been that this would provide fault tolerance comparable to RAID 10 ... worst case tolerating 1 failure, best case tolerating 4 failures. But in doing more...
  13. O

Dell VRTX questions

Thank you so much for your reply! It's very kind of you and the benefit of your experience with the VRTX is super relevant and helpful. I am thinking the following for parts list / budget ... I didn't include RAM because I can harvest some from my existing servers Chassis, 1x CMC, 1x PERC 8...
  14. O

Dell VRTX questions

Thank you very much! That is an extremely helpful reply and addresses a bunch of my questions. Sounds like if I go down this road the right approach is using the storage in a shared hardware raid volume as you describe ... shame to give up the features of software raid (zfs scrubbing, storage...
  15. O

Dell VRTX questions

Thank you very much!
  16. O

Dell VRTX questions

Hi, I'm thinking about condensing my lab / homeprod setup down into a Dell VRTX and had a bunch of questions. Sorry to just spam a bunch of questions... would be very grateful for any help. Not 100% sure this is the right forum, apologies if there is somewhere better to post this. - Is there...