Search results

1. L

Why Seagate Barracuda Pro is more expensive than Seagate Exos 7E8 enterprise HDD?

I was looking for some RAID1 pair of HDDs for my workstation since one of my old drives died and since drives were 10 years old I decided it makes more sense to just buy new pair of disks than to rebuild array to new drive with years-ahead specs comparing to second drive in RAID. I decided to...
  2. L

Where do I look for short depth ATX chassis?

Funny design but I don't need chassis to be this short. It's 600mm rack so cases between 450 and even probably 520 should fit well. My current RAID already has 10 drives so I don't think I'd go below 10-12. Especially in 4U.
  3. L

Wow thanks their cases are great and they even have 3U with 14 3.5" HDDs max (after using 3x5.25 -> 5x3.5 adapter). And easily available from Amazon! It's sick! I'm newbie in server cases, it's gonna be literally my first case - are there any caveats if I were to get this case?: 3U 30248 -...
  4. L

Where do people typically look for short depth ATX rackmount chassis? I mean in general - are there any websites where you can just specify expected depth range, U height, number of HDD cages etc? I tried with Server Case UK but their search engine really stinks and eg. if you choose 480mm depth...
  5. L

Short depth iSCSI storage shelf / storage server chassis

Are there any <=500mm storage shelves (for 600mm cabinet) with lots of drives? I'm talking about those high density iSCSI shelves where drives are put in several rows to fit like 24 or 48 drives per 2U. Alternatively normal server chassis with plenty of drives would do just fine. I found this...
  6. L

Universal enterprise, reliable SSD brands?

Nope, nothing unusual just normal mobo controller. I was having issues with GRUB and /boot partition encryption support when using pci-e controller.
  7. L

I'm getting i/o error. kernel panic, then motherboard doesn't detect ssd, I need to physically unplug machine from power and later as btrfs didn't finish transactions i need to zero cache to avoid filesystem damage. Nothing special in SMART.
  8. L

I know about it. I have disabled TRIM on data partitions. Well in fact just didn't enable it explicitly as LVM with encryption has disabled TRIM by default due to privacy concerns. Also i think with dm-cache you can't really enable TRIM as there's no filesystem here. To provide more background...
  9. L

Yes, i know Samsung SSDs have awesome performance, especially for those 40 minutes before they crash on i/o error :p How about Intel S3610 100gb? It sounds really affordable and still better than S3510 which from specs looks a bit like another 850 PRO... Shoot, there's no S3710 100gb. 200gb...
  10. L

Hello I'm quite new to enterprise grade hardware so I'd like to ask about brands that produce really high quality SSD drives as I don't know any of them. I'm running DIY Linux server with 20TB software RAID6 attached to 128gb SSD cache. Unfortunately I thought Samsung PRO series is kind of...