Search results

1. A

Question EPYC vs RAM

At a hardware level, all Zen cpus probably support both kinds of ram (and ECC). I doubt they actually made a bunch of completely different IMC designs, even with the Zen 2 off-die concept. If anything, Zen 2 looks like they made one very symmetrical design intended to be split/combined to...
  2. A

Small chassis with official SSI EEB support?

FWIW Caselabs BH8 came in a SSI-EEB single plate option, I bought my first one that way for future proofing. The ATX version is not smaller but has two plates and the front standoff mounts are not there, though you could make it work fairly easily. Probably the ideal case for air or mixed...
  3. A

any PCIe x4 SFP+ NICs?

You could cut the card instead of the slot. As long as it is a clean cut to the exact pin where x4 ends it will be fine. You technically only need to make a notch for the slot, but its easier to shear all the excess off, especially if a board has components sticking up there like jumpers or...
  4. A

Samsung PM953 M.2 960GB $69.70 / $65 BO

Nice find and going by the picture they have PLP Caps. All of my nicer boards with multiple m.2 at least one slot has 110 holes. Ditto for all my different 4x4x16 cards, they have both 80 and 110 holes.
  5. A

Mini/Mid Tower Chassis Recommendation: 16 x 2.5" SATA/SAS2

Consider skipping all the drive bay stuff and get a much neater system without a ton of wires - you can go full m.2, and have an excellent upgrade path for the future. There are also some pretty compact cases that skip drive bays. Threadripper boards can handle 11 NVMe natively with a pair of...
  6. A

New server - Epyc vs Threadripper

If you are not in a hurry, in a few months might see a ton of cheap used TR cpus and systems (or at least cpu+mb) when the new hotness lands. Ryzen 3k already makes the lower core count ones "old n busted" as it is. Make people's upgrade itch work in your favor ;) As for E5 v2s, getting pretty...
  7. A

AMD EPYC 7002 Series Rome Delivers a Knockout

This is brutal. I want a TR3 so bad, or 1P Epyc to get desktop workstation boards. IIRC, the inside-the-CCX 4 core latency is also lower than intel has ever had.
  8. A

PCIe x16 Risers/Port Bifurcation on Home Grade Equipment

Bifurcation requires hardware and bios support, an H61 board from years ago definitely has neither. Mostly only newer server/HEDT motherboards (X-series chipsets) support this. There are a few ITX and consumer boards that can 2x8 to x16, asrock did it first along with some very recent asus...
  9. A

Does Haswell Xeons produce more heat than Ivys?

The E5s are all soldered. E3s no idea? Haswell might be a bit more dense than Ivy even though both on same process node, but wouldn't expect a big difference in heat density (in simple terms this determines max temp with a given cooler's thermal efficiency). That said, typical core counts for...
  10. A

Startech 10GB NBase-T $90 in CDW Outlet

Yeah, aren't the NBT modes on X550 only with the right hardware revisions and updated firmware? I recall there are various issues getting it working.
  11. A

Nvidia buys Mellanox for 6.9B beating out Intel

It sure would be nice to see high end gpus use QSFP for video out, especially since modern stuff is just packet data anyways. Signaling and connectors are already capable of bandwidth for insane 8k 12bit 240hz displays or whatever. Bonus: long fiber runs already a thing. Would be much better...
  12. A

Nvidia buys Mellanox for 6.9B beating out Intel

****, this might be worse than intel buying them.
  13. A

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Launch at CES 2019

Wasn't the whole point of adding turing (vs volta) to separate the gaming and AI/HPC/todays-buzzword segments? Instead it seems they are still trying to subsidize the latter from the former, while having a huge backload of pascal sitting around. (stock took a beating for a reason, ride was over)...
  14. A

Looking for recommendations: QUAD WAN router?

I would potentially argue that maybe the store location is not truly suitable for the business, especially if the primary use case depends on connectivity. Bonded stuff just doesn't provide the same results in my experience, and things bolted on top of old telco stuff (many, but not all DSL...
  15. A

BMC/IPMI Best Practices

Minimally they must be on a VLAN that is walled off from everything, but separate physical if you want to be real. One problem is that some BMC hardware setups seem to have the ability to use any onboard LAN port, not just the designated (typically realtek) port. In fact I'm pretty sure some of...
  16. A

Bloomberg Reports China Infiltrated the Supermicro Supply Chain We Investigate

Sometimes its a blend, malware could potentially become a hardware problem in practice especially with embedded firmware things like BMCs, some designs can have their normal update mechanism disabled. Then you can end up with a case of sometime its cheaper (man hours, downtime, experts etc) to...
  17. A

Verrified List of Threadripper X399 Motherboards that function in ECC mode

Back on topic (X399 boards) I actually did try rimms right after launch because it was the only ECC ram I had extra of at the time. Obviously did not work, but it was a shot in the dark because epyc supports it. I know other people tried booting epycs in TR boards and it halted early in the post...
  18. A

Intel Optane 900p 280GB $269

Same price at microcenter if you have one nearby. FWIW codes seem to be under $50 now for people actually getting bites, the whales all been fed already.
  19. A

iDRACula Vulnerability Impacts Millions of Legacy Dell EMC Servers

+1 to that, anyone want to bet on it? I think a year from now I could pay $20 for every patched system and collect a $1 for every unpatched system, then retire to an island.
  20. A

Explaining the Baseboard Management Controller or BMC in Servers

Securing the accounts doesn't mitigate that core design of these systems doesn't know what security is. Intel and Dell can't get it right you think these other guys will? So far all these BMC platforms are really not much better than random cheap consumer products. (like all those popped home...