Search results

1. ElCoyote_

Dell PowerEdge T640 as a Workstation : Powerful and Silent.

Hi Dmitry, What OS are you using? Did you set the onboard video controller as disabled in the BIOS?
  2. ElCoyote_

Those HGST 3.84Tb SN260 drives and Cisco firmware...

@thxm8 If I had known these could be cross-flashed, I would have stockpiled!!! :)
  3. ElCoyote_

Those HGST 3.84Tb SN260 drives and Cisco firmware...

Thank you for sharing!!! This is super useful! I'm sharing it with my pals right now! SHARING IS CARING! :) :) :) (Yes, I -do- work for an Open Source company) :)
  4. ElCoyote_

I have been running the 'Valley' GPU benchmark for 20 minutes, GPU at 135W/140W with GPU temp in the 70C-80C. Seems good to go. :) Every 2.0s: nvidia-smi daltigoth: Fri Feb 16 15:55:15 2024 Fri Feb 16 15:55:15 2024...
  5. ElCoyote_

Happy to report that the A4000 works in the T640 without the GPU kit and with a very simple StarTech adapter I got from amazon: StarTech.com 6in SATA Power to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter - SATA to 6 pin PCIe power (SATPCIEXADAP) # dmidecode |grep -i powered...
  6. ElCoyote_

I've done so many mistakes in my past. These days I try to figure stuff out -before- buying.. :) With the T640 platform, I kinda have the homelab of my dreams, but it took 25 years of mistakes and bad decisions to get there. so in this T640 I have: - H750P (for the 16x2.5 backplane) X8...
  7. ElCoyote_

So I looked at that YT video and I agree 100% with everything that Dawid said. His first GPU is a 185W GPU. With 75W from the PCIe slot, it leaves 110W for the two SATA connectors when the GPU is at 100%. His 2nd GPY is a 225W GPU. With 75W from the PCIe slot, it leaves 150W for the two SATA...
  8. ElCoyote_

I agree with your Math -expect- that the A4000 will still pull 70-75W from the slot and maxes out at 140W. So we're effectively looking at 140-75=65W which should be less than the Max of 108W provided by the two SATA adapters. On higher-wattage GPUs, this would not work so well but for a 140W...
  9. ElCoyote_

The Quadro P2200 is what I've been using in all of my Dell Poweredges but it's only 5GB (not enough for AI). I have not been able to find a single-slot version of the A2000 so I went for the single-slot A4000.
  10. ElCoyote_

Excellent CPUs! (the 8270CL's). Yes, I'd sell the PDU Board + Cables + External Fans if you're interested but the External Fans I got are 'High-Performance', which means the iDRAC complains if the mid-tray fans (the 4 fans in the middle) aren't High-Performance too. I have those for sale too if...
  11. ElCoyote_

Just seeing this now. I doubt the boot times of the T630/T640 are as fast as those of a Precision Workstation simply because the big T6X0 boxes have a lot more PCIe slots, Memory sockets and embedded sensors with a full iDRAC. In my use case, I usually don't care much because I leave the system...
  12. ElCoyote_

Yes, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Local company going out of business and the seller accepted to drop his price to something competitive. This 2nd T640 has a V2 chassis, a 16x2.5 SAS backplane + an NVMe U.2 backplane with the two x16 cards. It also had the full GPU PIB kit and the external...
  13. ElCoyote_

No, the Quadro P2200 does not require any external power. It runs with just the power from the PCIe slot. If your T640 came with the GPU PIB board, it probably came with GPU cables and will require at least one external fan (depending on how many GPU cables are connected to the GU PIB). If you...
  14. ElCoyote_

The external fans are only required if you install the PDU GPU Board (situated underneath the main system board). I just got myself a 2nd T640 and have removed the PDU GPU board that came with it so that it would not require the external fans. I have ordered a Quadro A4000 GPU (Single-slot 140W...
  15. ElCoyote_

[FS][ US-Canada-Mex] New Dell Powerdge GPU middle fan tray (Dell P/N) 6KK42

PM'ing you now. I'd rather have this used by some #homelabber than put it on eBay (the prices there are crazy, but it does not mean that stuff is selling).
  16. ElCoyote_

[FS][ US-Canada-Mex] Set of 4 High-Performance Fans for the Poweredge T640

This is a set of new high-performance Fans from a GPU-enabled Dell PowerEdge T640 (they had 3 or 4 x 300W GPUs in it). Those fans have double the min-max rpms of the regular Fans. Dell T640 with those fans: Same server 5 minutes later with the regular fans: This is probably only of interest...
  17. ElCoyote_

[FS][ US-Canada-Mex] New Dell Powerdge GPU middle fan tray (Dell P/N) 6KK42

If you have a Dell T640 without the middle fan tray, you'll probably want this. This is a spare I've had for over a year and it's sitting unused. Asking 149USD + Shipping (Fedex Ground in America would work great unless you're in a hurry). If you have a T640 server, you probably want this part...
  18. ElCoyote_

128Gb RAM in PowerEdge T140 possible?

Hi all, BIOS 2.15.1 for the T140 came out today. My 128G (4x32 ECC UDIMM) no longer reports an error under that BIOS and I'm now happily running 2.15.1 and 128G RAM. Kudos go to Dell for listening and taking our feedback.
  19. ElCoyote_

128Gb RAM in PowerEdge T140 possible?

Yeah, if this proves to be true, that's gonna make me happy to have worked for the #homelab communities and helped fix stuff. :) Wait and see
  20. ElCoyote_

Better heatsink for the Dell PowerEdge T140? Get the T340 heatsink!

Latest update: I managed to source the '95W T340 heatsink' from NZ (thanks to a friend who lives there) and the numbers are even lower. Here's a pic with the 95W heatsink for T340 (left) and the standard heatsink for T340 (right). Both work well in my T140 (not a typo): Part numbers: 95W...