Search results

1. H

Help me build a freenas machine

OK think i'm keeping up so lets assume they'll be 2 disk chassis one full of rust and one full of ssd's lets say for arguments sake 6 drives in each. theory being i'd configure freenas to use the ssd's for their fast cache / common access etc and then tier down to the spinners for long term...
  2. H

ok cool and what kind of backplane would I be needing for a secondary case then? Assuming i'd have to jump to something like an e3 to give me the pcie slot count i'd need ?
  3. H

and how do i connect those jbods to the mb ? sata or sas expanders? if so which ones are good ? hba ? fibre channel and do it old school san? this is the bit i'm really stuck on and in doing so will dictate I guess which mb/cpu/ram I end up needing as alot will depend on how many pcie slots I...
  4. H

Yeah I did consider this however I kinda shot myself in the foot and didn't think far enough ahead when I built the new editing pc last year thought I was being smart and going for a small footprint desktop device as all storage was network based :( So I built an mitx system with only 1 pcie...
  5. H

As a close benchmark throughput will probably be more important than iops I'd have thought since its only a few files but large files so streaming them out across the network processing them on the desktop then streaming them back this was the thought of having some ssd as cache maybe so the...
  6. H

well i'm pretty much limited as I think I said at first to half depth chassis mostly the empty ones you can buy this is why I wasn't sure if I should look for a chassis with built in drive bays and backplanes etc and use something like an mITX mb or if I should look at a fully open empty case...
  7. H

b) all entirely flexible priority is 12TB+ of fixed storage but because of what I use it for IO is an issue but getting that capacity in pure SSD is expensive so I'm thinking some form of SSD cache read/write and then spinning rust for long term commital. C) I'm open to either doesn't have to be...
  8. H

Hi all. My current storage nas is running out of space (qnap thingie) so I want to build a new server or 2 (or one with additional disk chassis hanging off it) to replace it and give me a little more flexiblity. I've got a 600x600 rack already that has all my music production interfaces and...
  9. H

EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

well don't know how you managed to get it for that price as using the configuration tool now to match your spec comes in at £435
  10. H

Ceph is pool never creating?

all physical hosts raw ubuntu 16.04 install fully updated no vm's these are dedicated nodes.
  11. H

interestingly root@cnc:~# ceph pg map 5.c9 osdmap e411368 pg 5.c9 (5.c9) -> up [] acting [] the pg's don't seem to be getting assigned to the osd's even though the osd's are up and in and I can't for the life of me find out why.
  12. H

my command chain below
  13. H

using ubuntu with the base I added repos from ceph.com to pull the kraken build but it pulled jewel but I can live with that 3 nodes 5 drives per node for ceph 1 os node, mon running on os drive one osd per drive so yeah 15 useable osd's I had to build journals on osd drives too since it didn't...
  14. H

would love to but proxmox refuses to install on any of my servers gets part way through the install and shits the bed i've tried it several times over its various 4.x revisions and it just refuses to work so given up on it.
  15. H

thats pretty much the guides I used with a little sprinkling of the official docs guide too. but near enough the same. I've tried deleting the pool and re-creating it several times now just never seems to do anything just gets stuck creating the pg's I even reduced the pg's down from the...
  16. H

I've setup a small ceph cluster 3 nodes with 5 drives in each (spinning rust type) I've got all the osd's up and in but creating a pool never seems to complete. ceph -w gives me the following status. The interesting thing is the the used portion keeps increasing its now on 115 gb but its...
  17. H

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

Can't believe nobody has mentioned ceph yet
  18. H

Need MB Suggestions shallow rack case

I have a 600x600 rack at home and I'd like to build a couple of new servers to replace my current tower based servers. Obviously because of the rack size I need shallow depth which is quite limiting on what motherboards I can use. My current setup which I'm looking to replace is 3x ASRock Rack...
  19. H

Multi-Node Atom Server

I'm doing ceph on 3 of these ASRock Rack > C2550D4I for the storage nodes loaded with an m2 ssd in each for boot os and 4x2tb wd red's for storage. I then run the the mon's on each storage node and a master mon node and deploy on an ubuntu vm running on my xenserver. works like a charm. edit...