Search results

1. M

Ryzen 5 5500 vs 4650g

tl/dr: none of the above. I'd take a 4650G over a 5500. CPU performance is roughly the same and you have graphics and ECC (unregistered) support on the 4650G. I'd think twice about the MSI B450M. Mainly because it only has one M.2 slot. What exact model? There are older boards with only two...
  2. M

Options for connecting an old EXB-8200 SCSI tape drive on modern hardware

The drive ist detected correctly and I can query it with `mt`
  3. M

Samsung 8TB QVO in raid?

Apart from the QLC caveats and possible unresolved issues with the firmware(did you check?) I do not see a problem. Such an array would probably a slouch on I/O (write) intensive tasks but as a data dump it should be fine. I am questioning the RAID choice, especially Raid0 for obvious reasons...
  4. M

Thanks to the kind donation from @Stephan I started my first attempt last weekend. Sadly it ended with an "Servo Error" on loading. It's not the end of the world as these Exabyte drives are derived from Sony 8mm technology, failures and their remdies are well documented. It's probably a drop of...
  5. M

i need some info on this cpu cooler

It's a typo, Look at the pictures. SNK-P004AP4
  6. M

mdadm RAID6 problem

Did you already try to expand your existing RAID6? Where the added disks already used in another Raid(0) array? What is in your /etc/mdadm.conf? Did you check if your old array is now assembled under another md device number? Does `dmesg` show some clues? What does a ` mdadm --examine --scan` show?
  7. M

Great Deals hot tip

In theory yes. I tried it once on just three moderately bent pins and gave up after the fourth attempt. The motherboard and CPU in the linked auction look like a toddler had its way with it.
  8. M

Migrating from single disk OS drive to Intel RAID1 PCH

if it shows up as mdadm it is a fake-raid. I'd strongly advise you to just deconfigure it and use a normal linux raid1 setup. There are many guides which explain how either convert a single disk installation to a raid1 setup or copy it over to a fresh raid array. The former I had to do like 200...
  9. M

Whitch distro for home server

For professional use I am (for now) in the RHEL clone camp (Rocky Linux) for private use I prefer Arch Linux. In my experience the only things that can be wonky after updates is ZFS (no suprise here) and libvirt, especially when you use PCI passthrough. That said, I tend to run all essential...
  10. M

The EXB-8200 has a 50 pin SCSI interface and it's an internal full height 5.25 drive. So I'll have to jury rig it. If you dont have any of those don't worry. Old SCSI-2 PCI card with a 50 pin cable from ebay or kleinanzeigen are a dime a dozen.
  11. M

Wow, that's so nice of you! A SFF M55 I could keep around in case I need to get something else of vintage media like floppy disks and ATA drives (it has only sata but controllers are still cheap) I'll send you a PM soonish.
  12. M

Sure, it's written with tar. I push it to an HDF image and should be able to at least mount or even boot from it in UAE or MiniMig.
  13. M

over 30 years ago a uncle gifted me a refurbished Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm tape drive which I used for backups on my "pimped" Amiga 2000. Recently I discovered said tape drive loaded with my latest backup from around 1996. So I am now itching to see of there is still data left on the tape. If yes...
  14. M

One last upgrade for my Acer H340

He sort of revealed it in an answer to a question. Thus some bloke approached me here asking if he could send me his H341 to be converted. Scanning through his portfolio I bet much of his pieces are based on discussion and articles from STH. Sort of inevitable and I bet even the "big guys" like...
  15. M

One last upgrade for my Acer H340

Ok, I'll finally bite. There is an older but still very popular Youtube tutorial which is 100% based on the information from this thread. While I do not mind so much the usage I am quite a bit miffed that, from my point of view, he just used the stuff he liked and ignored all warnings. Powering...
  16. M

Red Hat cutting back RHEL source availability

Let's see how that plays out. Some first reactions from the Rocky Linux team https://forums.rockylinux.org/t/has-red-hat-just-killed-rocky-linux/10378 https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/r.24fab14385c0aa2db6fa7340a8b2aae7 Oh, and a heartfelt welcome to IBM to finally make it to my companies to be...
  17. M

PC Engines APU EOL

Last chance to stock up on APU hardware. Sadly there will be no new product. A sad day. ;-( https://www.pcengines.ch/eol.htm Despite having used considerable quantities of AMD processors and Intel NICs, we don't get adequate design support for new projects. In addition, the x86 silicon...
  18. M

d-link wifi routers are crap, please help me choose access point

I run OPNSense on a PCEngine APU and recently replaced my powerline ap crap with two TP-Link EAP615-WALL access points. I can't comment on the original firmware or Omada as I flashed OpenWRT on them. So far I am very happy with the coverage and performance. Lacking wallboxes I've ordered Cat 6...
  19. M

What is the best option for creating a NFS for my entire network from ESXi 8?

The issues I had with bad BBUs and dead controllers over the last 20+ years... Edit: Datacenters tend to go for for an enterprise SAN setup. Not because they are superior but for the support and ease of use. The really big guys, like Google and Amazon go for inhouse and open source solutions.
  20. M

Idle power savings upgrade path

My x9dri-ln4f with 256GB RAM, 2x E5-2690v2, RTX 3090 and four NVMEs idles at about 140W. The RTX draws like 20-30W at idle. ~800W at full power with Folding@Home. Definitely an energy hog but I don't run it 24/7