Search results

1. L

starting fresh - need some purchase advice!

Thanks for the links. I've looked at some workstations too, but the 32 GB ceiling for the workstations makes me wary While I don't have a rack, I do have some shelving that I think will do, and an AC'd utility room to stuff the thing in if the noise is really unbearable. What do you think of...
  2. L

Dell PowerEdge R710 12-Core 2.5" Server 32GB RAM PERC6i DVD iDRAC6 + 2 Trays is this a decent value at the price? EDIT: or would something like this work? Two processors removed. Is this a noisy server? HP ProLiant DL580 G7 2x 2.00GHz E7-4820 8C 32GB RAM 4x 300GB 2.5" HD 512MB FBWC
  3. L

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in NC - and NY is a bit too far to drive!
  4. L

This is great, thanks. Not sure how I could go with fewer than 16 cores though, as I currently get saturated running 4 VMs on 12 cores. EDIT: memory is definitely an issue, but I frequently find I can't get any more VM's going because there just aren't enough processors to go around. A typical...
  5. L

For reference, my current setup is based on the old 12 core AMD 6174, 24GB of ram. Doesn't use a lot of power, but its slow, flaky, and I'm out of headroom.
  6. L

I do need storage. I guess I'd consider low power to be not more than a couple of mid-range desktops from 2005 - which was the last time I checked into this kind of thing. ;) Xeon D looks like it will cost me about 2K to get a server with 8 cores, 64GB of ram, and a a TB of not-that-fast...
  7. L

I'd like to spend under a grand for this, also.
  8. L

Don't have a rack, but I'm indifferent otherwise. I'd much rather buy the server ready-to-go - don't have time, patience or expertise to pick parts these days.
  9. L

Hi all, Trying to wrap my head around options for a home ESXi lab, which will be running mostly Windows VMs (6 - 10 VMs total, for stuff like SharePoint, Exhange, AD, other apps.). My hardware knowledge is pretty out-of-date, so I need a hand! My priorities are: running multiple...