Search results

1. BLinux

Looking for help troubleshooting sudden failure to recognise HDDs on LSI9211-8i (SAS2008) HBAs

don't have time to read everything carefully, which I will come back to later when I do have time. but quick note is that the ROMED8-2T mini-HD SAS connectors are not SAS, they are connected to a SATA controller from the PCH. i still suggest looking at the Linux kernel messages to see exactly...
  2. BLinux

Intel C600 series chipset SAS RAid ( SATA Mode) controller

I had X9DR3-LN4F+ and had the same exact issue. The Intel SCU controller only supports SATA.
  3. BLinux

H240 shows up during POST but not in SSACLI

@farbener from my recollection, ESXi is very particular about driver support and also deprecate drivers when they choose to no longer support it. So, I think it's very important to check driver support for the particular version you are using. it maybe the case that the software you are using...
  4. BLinux

Narrowed Down (hopefully) HBA Selection Advice?

1. which end of the hot plugging are you asking about? definitely not on the PCIe end. generally yes on the SAS port end. 2. no idea about Windows driver support as I haven't used any modern Windows OS in a while. but there should be a Windows HCL you can consult. Also, you can try looking at...
  5. BLinux

H240 shows up during POST but not in SSACLI

sounds like the card is working, although you'll want to verify full functionality later on. user programs like ssacli might not work if the OS driver for the card isn't installed or not loading correctly. can you confirm the driver loaded and detected the card? I forget how to do that in...
  6. BLinux

NVMe on Dell Precision Workstation T7910

great! To convert the onboard controller to IT mode, i made this video:
  7. BLinux

Unable to import RAID Foreign Config

I wonder if it has something to do with SAS3108 (chip in H730) being a PowerPC chip vs the SAS3516 (chip in 9460-16i) being a ARM chip? Maybe due to architecture change, the RAID data is not compatible upgrade? If you used a 9361-16i it would probably work?
  8. BLinux

It is true that T7910 can do the "automagically" if I recall. My T7910 is in use right now so I can't reboot it, but I recall seeing the option to manually set the bifurcation too. And there are a lot of people using the Dell quad M.2 adapter in T7910 workstations. Perhaps you've just...
  9. BLinux

@galvesribeiro I've seen reports of people using Dell P/N 80G5N for T7910 workstation? That requires bifurcation.
  10. BLinux

What makes you think T7910 doesn't support bifurcation?
  11. BLinux

Looking for help troubleshooting sudden failure to recognise HDDs on LSI9211-8i (SAS2008) HBAs

@Philip Richardson I'm a bit stumped. You have the same model drives in both the DO and DON'T show list using the same exact setup. Are you using Linux based OS? If so, can you boot up without any drives connected. Then monitor the logs while you plug one of the drives from the "DON'T" list...
  12. BLinux

Advice on purchasing an LSI 9305-24i

The port density does present some issues. But, for the HDD use case, you need about 48Gbps of I/O bandwidth, the PCIe 3x8 bus has 62Gbps so that is enough for 24x HDD use case. But for sure, if using SAS-2 or SAS-3 SSDs, the PCIe bus is not enough and using 2 cards to double the PCIe bandwidth...
  13. BLinux

Advice on purchasing an LSI 9305-24i

To help you guys out, if the model label doesn't have the assembly number, that's likely not legit. Also, if the S/N starts with XWxxxxx it's likely not legit. Being who I am and what I do, those vendors have reached out to me and literally told me they can print whatever S/N I want on the...
  14. BLinux

Determine cable type? forward or reverse breakout SFF-8087 / 4x SATA

There's no way to visually identify the difference. You can use a multi meter and check the pin out to see how it matches up compared to specifications. Details can be found online. Plugging it in the incorrect setup will not harm anything, it just won't work. But you might not know if it...
  15. BLinux

Recommend me an 8i hba for Server 2022

That is a good idea. Use a different port on the expander. The port used currently might have a bad SAS lane. Physically, I would check to see if the coupling capacitors near the port are fully intact. About 90% of the time, damage to those capacitors is the cause of the bad SAS lane. There are...
  16. BLinux

Max working Temperature for H710 MINi D1 LSISAS308

That is true. The H710 mini runs very warm. I've often recommended to run the fans at faster speeds when using a H710 mini. It is definitely not recommended to run the fans at a low speed such as when using "power efficient" profile as over time, the H710 is likely to become damaged from...
  17. BLinux

Max working Temperature for H710 MINi D1 LSISAS308

Broadcom documentation here: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12353227 See page 78, referencing 9265CV-8i RAID controller, which is also based on the LSI SAS2208 chip: The H710 MINI D1 is based on the LSI SAS2208 chip. You can run IT mode firmware which will report it as SAS2308, but in reality...
  18. BLinux

Power Consumption of HBA Controllers: Dell Perc H310

8-10W for a LSI SAS2008 based controller is about right. Those are just single core PowerPC 533Mhz CPUs. There's nothing you can "disable" to save power. The newer gen controllers consume even more power and generate more heat, but they will provide the IOPS for performance if you care about...