Search results

1. Hjalti Atlason

Rclone in a jail and set up a Cron Job

Yeah , i decided to do the set up again , second time does the charm in my case i guess (might have messed something up at first). At least i have no problems using rclone copy and rclone sync command from the freenas server to Google Drive. decided to jump on the Rclone wagon since i was...
  2. Hjalti Atlason

Rclone in a jail and set up a Cron Job

Hey I´m trying to set up a Cron Job in a jail on a Freenas server which runs Rclone and dumps backup files to Google Drive (offsite backup) and wanted to check if anyone at STH is a Cron Job pro (i'm more of a nix hobbyist) and knows how to automate this task. I'll explain what i've already...
  3. Hjalti Atlason

WPF application and Powershell

Ok nice, this info will come in handy when i'll start coding , was reading alot of books on safaribooksonline.com before i asked in this Forum since no one around me has put any thought into this. This is my pet project at the moment , hopefully i can come up with something cleaver to simplify...
  4. Hjalti Atlason

If i can gather the information needed from a powershell script and store the information in a database using this SQLPSX extension i could do some Data binding to output the information to a Window application (WPF) and use some C# Code to work with the information (and probably use Entity...
  5. Hjalti Atlason

I´m thinking about gathering asset report to a database (using a similar script to This one with a couple of twists) and try to work with the data to identify Server trends (for example when and why disks are filling up etc...). Yeah i know Nagios or other monitoring tools can log this but not...
  6. Hjalti Atlason

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone is doing any WPF application programming and gathering data with Powershell and store in a database ? As a sysadmin i really like gathering information with powershell but would like to store the information in a database (SQL express). Been thinking if...
  7. Hjalti Atlason

30 X 2 or 3 TB 3,5" SAS Drives

Hey guys I´m setting up a backup server in a datacenter This gear would be used as a Freenas backup server (1u Dell poweredge server) and RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case with 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays. I´m going to use an External HBA to connect the Poweredge server to the JBOD...
  8. Hjalti Atlason

RPC-4020 4U - PSU and rail options

Yes , even in the winter . lucky for us Island people in Iceland :Þ
  9. Hjalti Atlason

Ok thanks. Looks like Amazon ships these rails to Iceland :)
  10. Hjalti Atlason

Hey guys I was wondering if you could advice me on good PSU and Rail option for a RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case with 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays Unit. I´m thinking about buing this unit as a JBOD storage for an Offsite backup server in a datacenter. I´ll also have a dedicated 1u...
  11. Hjalti Atlason

Need advice on how-to Flash LSI SAS 9210-8i HBA Controller

Update:I´ve Put the DOS utilities on a Bootable DOS USB or CD link to the Firmware for the LSI 9210-8I HBA controller
  12. Hjalti Atlason

Need advice on how-to Flash LSI SAS 9210-8i HBA Controller

Hi guys I was wondering if you could recommend a good guide on how-to flash a LSI SAS 9210-8i HBA Controller. I´m going to use it for a Freenas Fileserver (ZFS) and need to flash it to IT mode. Advice would be much appreciated.
  13. Hjalti Atlason

MS Server build for 25 users

I´m thinking about this Supermicro Mini Tower and might pick another similar server if i do a hyper-v cluster. I´m actually working with little space at this office (small server would be perfect). 1 X 2,5" 100 gb intel DC s3700 Enterprise series Sata SSD (for the Windows server os) 1 X 2,5"...
  14. Hjalti Atlason

Thanks for the tip , i´ll look into this and do a little research before i implement the solution for this company. I have two extra Deskto machines at home and MSDN license , so i can try out a Hyper-v cluster on server 2016 in a test lab) Yeah Pfsense/Sonicwall sounds like a plan , i´m...
  15. Hjalti Atlason

Thank you for your reply´s. Just to clarify a little bit. I don´t have a Real budget in mind , but this is a cloud centric company (so no File server on prem needed) , the users use Google Drie for their Fileshare. My main focus is to have strengthened security for the Workstation machines...
  16. Hjalti Atlason

Can you think of a good server (not too expensive) that would serve these tasks: Domain controller, Malwarebytes endpoint security (still evaluating whether to use MS Server Essentials or MS Server Standard license). Being able to have some central management of network of computers at a...
  17. Hjalti Atlason

Vmware ESXI whitebox build

ESXI host Ready Freenas backup server Ready Pfsense router Ready The setup takes up a little bit of space - but it´s worth it i think :)
  18. Hjalti Atlason

Can't get FreeNAS to install

install Freenas from CD/DVD drive ;) ? My favourite software to install OS to a USB stick is Rufus (at least it´s a well written software), works fine with Legacy bios and UEFI, but installing from a CD/DVD seems to always work no matter what (from my experience).
  19. Hjalti Atlason

Running ZFS on Ubuntu vs Freenas and ZFS in the cloud

Thanks for the tip, i´ll look into this , Native FreeNAS integration sounds good. But the location of the solnode Datacenters might be an issue for me since i´m located on the other end of the world (Iceland).
  20. Hjalti Atlason

Running ZFS on Ubuntu vs Freenas and ZFS in the cloud

But of course in the cloud there is no HBA to connect the CPU and Memory to the disks.