Search results

1. K

Norco & Adaptec 72405 - Mixing SAS & SATA

Hi All, I need some new drives for my 24 bay Norco setup and it seems the SAS drive variants are cheaper. The backplanes apparently support SAS & SATA as does the Adaptec. I would initially be adding just 4 SAS drives so they would all be on one backplane card. Are there any compatibility or...
  2. K

core i5 on supermicro X11SCA-F

Yep, using an I3-8300S and ECC RAM with my X11SCA-F right now.
  3. K

Intel Scalable single socket board with 12 dimms ?

I'm pretty sure the AQC107 is fine for workstation use but is missing SRIO-v and some server features which are particularly important if you are doing a VM server. This board looks great for IO heavy workstation though, especially since some of the new V2 Scalables Silvers look almost...
  4. K

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

This board looks good; IPMI, PCI Bifurcation, Fan Control and quite a nice layout. If it had been available when I purchased I might have picked it over C246.
  5. K

core i5 on supermicro X11SCA-F

For current gen LGA1151: I3 - ECC I5 - No ECC I7 - No ECC I9 - No ECC Xeon E - ECC I think there are a few unique Xeon E SKUs too, eg the 4 core with HT ones.
  6. K

Supermicro OOB license now available within an hour online for $30

What does this actually offer you over the standard IPMI implementation?
  7. K

Sourcing a - X11SCH-LN4F

They look to available here in the UK (Although I would e-mail to check). I got my X11SCA-F from Lambda long before general availability in the US. Assuming you are in the US they should not charge you the 20% VAT but obviously you will need to pay postage and any import fees. MBD-X11SCH-LN4F-O...
  8. K

Why are all Threadripper boards so samey?

Hooray for Asrock (Triple X16): ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
  9. K

Issue with E3-1245 v6 iGPU on X11SSM-F

Does the X11SSM have the SG (Split Graphics) option? My X11SCA-F will do onboard GPU with display whilst IKVM is used for boot display and control with this option set so no reason QSV wouldn't work too.
  10. K

Quad Xeon X9 Board

That looks like a good deal if you can sort a case/PSU for it. The E5-4600 series is essentially the same as the E5-2600 series but supports 4 sockets. Eg. Quad E5-4650 will score about double that of dual E5-2650.
  11. K

Xeon ES/QS Turbo Bins Database

Here is my QHUZ. Running at 103Bclk it sits at 23 multiplier (2428cb) all day in multicore Cinebench but only manages 24.5 ish multiplier on single core. A -.0.05v voltage offset helps performance slightly.
  12. K

That's another thing I noticed none of the boards have PCI switching.
  13. K

Have been looking for a Threadripper board and it is getting irritating that every board uses the 16+8+16+8 layout. Why not a 3x16 layout, eg. X16+Space+Space+X16+Space+Space+X16, they could offer bifurcation on the bottom slot which would allow for heavy IO usage with dual triple slot graphics...
  14. K

m.2 PCIe adapter in Supermicro x9 motherboards?

Can you share which slot and IOU# setting you used?
  15. K

Xeon ES/QS Turbo Bins Database

I have this one. It as mid level stepping, one stepping before release. Has worked reliably for years and is a good chip but VT-C is unstable. Other oddity is I see 2.5Ghz turbo with 2 dimms but only 2.3Ghz with 4 in my ASRock X99, do you see the same behaviour?
  16. K

Intel Core i3-8300 Benchmarks and Review The Dark Horse Low Cost Server Processor

Hey all have been using the exact reviewed combo of I3-8300 and X11SCA-F for a 2 months now and after the Linux IOMMU fix it has been a really good platform. I am one of those users who needs the IGP; I use the IPMI video for boot and host OS and then the IGP is passed through to a Windows Kodi...
  17. K

ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS problems with 2x E5 2698 V4 ES CPU QHUZ

Just a quick note on the QHUZ. I noticed higher turbo when only using only 2 dimms on mine (2.5 vs 2.3), perfectly stable though in my ASRock board though with 4 dimms (I never ran any length of time with 2 dimms). Maybe the dual Asus setup would work better with 8 dimms total as mentioned above.
  18. K

Xeon E - Supermicro Boards Appearing - Release Date?

I've not heard of any but it would not surprise me if SM or ASRack release one. The server boards have not really been released yet (Only WS) as rumor has it they are waiting for the 8 Core CPUs.
  19. K

Supermicro X11SCA X11SCA-W and X11SCA-F for Xeon E-2100 Workstations

Further info: Revert "PCI: Add ACS quirk for Intel 300 series" - Patchwork Not Supermicro's fault on the passthrough / ACS issue, faulty kernel commit which is being reverted. Just need the second bios to release and the X11SCA should be an excellent C246 platform.
  20. K

Supermicro X11SCA X11SCA-W and X11SCA-F for Xeon E-2100 Workstations

A soon to be released bios fixes the issue with IOMMU although you can use the kernel pci reallocate option to fix it with the V1.0 bios. The VM PCI Passthrough problems with newer kernels are actually because kernels since around May 2018 include a 300 series ACS quirk which when applied breaks...