Search results

1. C

WD Ultrastar DC HC510 10TB SATA Hard Drive Review

Any benchmarks on the IOPS of this drive such as for random IO performance? I know HDDs suck at random IO but I would still be curious nonetheless.
  2. C

40GBE/100GBE Upgrade on the cheap

Would be quite incredible to have 100G switches under that price right now let alone 100G routers for that price. The short answer to your question is not even close right now.
  3. C

Intel forbids benchmark and comparison after microcode update (L1TF)

Maybe a POWER based CPU? Not sure if that architecture is vulnerable to side channel though.
  4. C

I mean, that's like putting a gun to someone's head and saying you won't pull the trigger. If it wouldn't be enforced why put it in there? Glad to hear that. The license pertains to installing the microcode, not an agreement when you purchase the CPUs, so it's entirely irrelevant where STH...
  5. C

How is this much ado about nothing, unless you're just referring to Stephan's remarks? Not being able to publish benchmarks after a patch is a pretty serious stipulation to include in the license. I agree, good on them for fixing their security issues, but I think that's a pretty ridiculous...
  6. C

Homelab Monitoring Platform?

Just to throw my $0.02 in here for my homelab setup that works well. It's a bit of work to implement but allows for a lot of customization and is quite extensible. For monitoring and infrastructure stats collection I use Prometheus for the back-end with a Grafana front-end. Prometheus is super...
  7. C

AMD EPYC 7551P Benchmarks and Review A 32 Core Value Monster

I know it would be expensive to do, but I am very curious how an Epyc server with 24 unshared U.2 ports compares in terms of performance to a Xeon system with 24 U.2 connections that are switched, if the platform could actually handle that much I/O or what, if any scaling issues there would be.
  8. C

Quad-Node options besides C6220?

Dell FX2 as an alternative to the C6220, it's a smaller form factor (2U, 4 Node) version of their M1000e chassis. As others in this thread have mentioned, keep an eye out for SuperMicro 2U/4 Node servers as well.
  9. C

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

I would be curious how well it works for you as I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet to test them out.
  10. C

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Not sure if anyone has any experience with them, but FS.com has some number of 10G switches for decent prices: S3800-24T4S - $370.00 USD - 24-Port 10/100/1000BASE-T Stackable Network Switch w/ 4 10GbE | FS.COM 4 x 10G SFP+ 24 x 1G RJ45 S3800-48T4S - $499.00 USD - 48-Port 10/100/1000BASE-T...
  11. C

Top Load 2.5" Server

That's right, I had forgotten about the SM Simply Double servers that have 48*2.5" bays in 2U. I guess that would be about the highest density without it just being a JBOD expansion chassis with a controller.
  12. C

Top Load 2.5" Server

Hey STH, Wondering if anyone has seen a server that has top load 2.5" drive bays. Similar to the SuperMicro or 45-Drives 60/90 bay top load servers but for 2.5" drives. Where that came up was we just brought in EMC's XIO platform at work and the drive enclosures are top load, approximately 2U...
  13. C

40GBE/100GBE Upgrade on the cheap

What previous experience do you have with managed switches? My background is Cisco gear and I find that Junipers are quite easy to configure. They're documentation is also quite good but it can take some digging and a bit of practice to learn how the config is organized. Once you spend a bit of...
  14. C

Are Juniper EX3300 loud?

I have an EX3300-24P and once it's powered up, it's relatively quiet, significantly less noise than any of my servers. With that being said, I wouldn't want it sitting beside me long term as the hum does get annoying after a while.
  15. C

Mellanox store selling now brackets

Ya, pretty ridiculous for customs. I saw a few threads about people selling them, but they appeared to be all wrapped up.
  16. C

Mellanox store selling now brackets

I ordered a couple of brackets from their store about a month back, no issues to report. Order was processed next business day and they arrived quickly to Canada. Customs was ~$40 for 2 brackets though, so just a heads up on that.
  17. C

NVIDIA Quadro P6000 High-end Workstation Graphics Card Review

> NVIDIA Mosaic3Integrated quad port Gigabit Ethernet controller, plus one dedicated GbE management port I would assume that this is a copy-paste error?
  18. C

9260-8i Boot Disk

Think I'm going to probably end up answering my own question, but I still have some validation to do. Turns out that you have to make a virtual drive on the controller (RAID 0 with one drive) that can then be specified as a boot device in the BIOS. Then you select booting from the PCI card in...
  19. C

9260-8i Boot Disk

I just got a new server in with an LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i controller. Currently the drive (known good) is not showing up in the BIOS but does show up on the controller status and WebBIOS. How do you make the drive show up to be bootable as well as show up when installing an OS? Thanks.
  20. C

Why'd we stop doing the how much bandwidth threads?

This is from my home. We got "lucky" here in western Canada (Lucky is a bit much, but it's relative) where Shaw put out a 150/15 internet package for $50/month, so I was able to get Telus to match that price with their 100/20 (105/30 actual) and unlimited internet, down from the $130/month I was...