Search results

1. N

Heads Up when upgrading to Proxmox VE 8.2

I just upgraded two of my servers from Proxmox VE 8.1 to 8.2, and although there is just of good stuff, as outlined in the video , the upgrade to kernel 6.8 (although good in itself) changes the network-interface names in the kernel. In my case, on an Intel X710-DA2, the names changed: From...
  2. N

Refreshing Haswell Xeon E3 server - Established Rocket Lake or cobbled Raptor Lake?

In a community colo, I have been running my Supermicro-X10 based Haswell server for a long time now, and it has turned 9 years old. I would like to refresh it, and I have been weighing the pros and cons of whether to go for Supermicro X12 or X13, especially since I also want to replace the...
  3. N

Malina: 6x Raspberry Pi CM4 compute cluster

Build’s Name: Malina (meaning "Raspberry" in various Slavic languages) Operating System/ Storage Platform: Plain Debian 11 plus LXD and Ceph CPU: 6x ARM Cortex-A72 Motherboard: DeskPi Super6C Chassis: SuperMicro SuperChassis 510T-203B Drives: 6x WD Red SN700 (1000 GB, M.2 2280) RAM: 6x 8GB...
  4. N

UK Micron 5300 Pro 7.68 TB - GBP 549.95 w/ free S/H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291500092330?hash=item43dec26baa:g:2rQAAOSwjhhhxF5b GBP 549.95 (~$724.26) with free shipping. Mainly posting this to keep myself from buying these... :p
  5. N

Multi-pair fiber from equipment room to office through narrow conduit

I'll be moving house, and I decided to do things "right", networking wise, for once. I willhave an equipment room in which I will put my rack that contains servers, a workstation, switches, UPS, etc. From there, 4 conduits already exist, in which (probable) Cat 5e cable is currently laid, with...
  6. N

Proxmox VE just added vTPM to their testing channel - and Windows 11 works

Although this has not yet made it to be default release channel, if you subscribe to their pve-no-subscription repository, you'll get a software vTPM that you can pass to virtual machines. Also, now when you add an EFI disk to a VM, it's allow you to pre-enroll the default set of vendor...
  7. N

Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released

I did not see any stories on the front page or in the forum, so I will do my citizenship duty here: Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released. From the article: What’s new in Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.0 This major release brings a large set of new enhancements: Ceph Pacific 16.2: Proxmox Virtual...
  8. N

"Embruddock" gets an upgrade

Just a simple upgrade, but it made my day anyway. My old workstation "Embruddock" (yes, all my system names are inspired by the Helliconia trilogy) was getting a bit long in the tooth, and so I decided to go for an upgrade. My requirements were: RDIMM support. Good single-thread performance...
  9. N

EXPIRED SanDisk Smart Storage Optimus Ascend TXA2D2 800GB - 60 GBP

Sold here SanDisk Smart Storage Optimus Ascend TXA2D2 800GB SAS 2.5" SSD TXA2D20800GA6001 | eBay . These are rated for 10 DWPD ( https://www.sandisk.com/content/dam/sandisk-main/en_us/assets/resources/enterprise/data-sheets/sandisk-optimus-ascend-sas-ssds-datasheet.pdf ), for 5 years: some 15...
  10. N

Unifi US-24-250W vs USW-24-POE - Worth the wait?

I am currently in the market for a 16 to 24 port POE switch, and since I have Unifi in the home, I'll use that. I'm in Europe, and I can get the US-24-250W right away, or wait a month until the newer USW-24-POE (Gen 2) arrives on the market. Do any of you in the US have experience with both...
  11. N

Supermicro X11SC*-F iGPU support

I am in the market for upgrading one of my servers, and given the apparent performance increase from the Xeon E3 v6 to Xeon E, I am looking into one of the Supermicro X11SC*-F motherboards with a Xeon E-21??G on it. The question is; do any of the -F boards (other than the X11SCA-F, which is a...
  12. N

Supermicro drive tray generations

I am in the market for a Supermicro chassis for 6-8 mixed-use 2.5"/3.5" drives. I see that 825s are available cheaply, but I'd need 3.5"-2.5" conversion trays, such as the MCP-220-00043-0N. Now, on Supermicro's site there is a whole list of drive trays, but that list shows "generations" for the...
  13. N

Helliconia home rack gets a visual overhaul

Not exactly hardware pr0n, but let's just say that things look a lot less messy than before. Before/after pics here. The main difference between the mess before and the approximate order is that I ordered and installed rack blind panels (to force more air through the equipment), and the panel...
  14. N

Helium leakage in helium-filled HDDs?

Most high-capacity HDDs are Helium-filled nowadays. Now, I studied engineering physics, and although I did not specialize in anything vacuum/helium related, the one thing that stayed with me is that helium is darn near impossible to keep inside almost anything (mostly since it's a single-atom...
  15. N

16-bay hotswap with less noise than military airfield

The title says it all: I currently have a Norco RPC-3116 16-bay SAS2 hotswap case, and while it works, I am getting more and more annoyed by the build quality of that case. Or rather, the lack thereof: I had a Ceph OSD drop out on me the other day because of shoddy connections between the drive...
  16. N

A decent iSCSI-target VM with UNMAP/DISCARD support

My homelab by now is a three-node Proxmox VE / Ceph system with 10 GBe networking (Intel X520-DA1). By now, I used bootutil to have my workstation boot off iSCSI as well. Of course, Proxmox VE does not provide iSCSI targets out of the box, but as I wanted the data to reside on Ceph RBD anyway...
  17. N

Just a simple case move - Phagor moves to a bigger home

Build’s Name: Phagor Operating System/ Storage Platform: Debian Stretch CPU: Xeon X5660 (6-core 2.8 GHz w/ hyperthreading) Motherboard: Asus Rampage Gene II Chassis: Rosewill RSV-L4500 Drives: A single 200 GB Intel S3600. RAM: 6 x 4 GB DDR3-1600. Add-in Cards: Intel X520-DA1 (10 GBe SFP+)...
  18. N

mATX E5-16x0 v1/v2 build?

I've been thinking about upgrading my old Xeon X5660-based workstation for a while now. Main goal is a higher per-thread performance at a reasonable price. However, Xeon is a must, since I want ECC RAM. Given that I want high per-thread performance, it's probably going to be E5-16x0. Looking at...
  19. N

Proxmox VE docs to upgrade Ceph to Jewel

For those brave enough to try, the creators of Proxmox VE have posted documentation on how to upgrade Ceph to Jewel on VE 4.4. HowTo: Upgrade Ceph Hammer to Jewel That enables some interesting things, like multiple filesystems per cluster, the new storage engine.
  20. N

Low-power Ceph/ProxMox node

Build’s Name: Fessup *) Operating System/ Storage Platform: ProxMox 4.2 (Linux 4.4.6, Debian Jessie derived) CPU: Core i3-6100T Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SSL-F Chassis: SuperMicro SuperChassis 510T-203B (2 x 2.5" SATA3 hot-swap) Drives: 2 x Intel DC3610 (200 GB) RAM: 2 x 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM...