Search results

1. F

Very quiet rack mount server

I couldn't find a better place for this, so here goes. I need a very quiet rack mount server. Silent preferred. Must have two USB ports but prefer 4. Must have 100 MBit ethernet, but prefer gig. Will run linux. Does not need much power. I own a Dell R210-II and that sucker is silent after...
  2. F

Terminating OM4 runs

So, I bought a nice 30m OM4 lc patch cable from FS and am going to run it in my attic from my office to my garage. And, of course I wondered how I should terminate it. I picked up an assortment of shorter patch cables while I was at it. One choice is to have it come out of the ceiling and...
  3. F

Cringe

I just hit one of my regular sites to get my boinc stats fix and saw: and I cringed. How do I suggest that a Samsung 850 EVO might not be the best choice for a data base drive?
  4. F

Low power servers - does socket matter?

I have been putting off upgrading to LGA2011 for a while. I love the older LGA1151 systems for low power servers and appliances. 40 watts for an idle file server is pretty attractive. But, I do feel cramped with only 32GB of memory. I have also been collecting a few of the LGA1366 systems...
  5. F

Step up affordable rack switch

This is great information. I will continue to use the 1800's on the edges where power / noise is more important than raw performance. But, for the rack in the garage that is cranking out the heat and noise, and where I really don't want to have to ask myself whether my switch is causing...
  6. F

Supermicro CSE-836 cabling suggestions

I recently purchased a CSE-836 that does not have any data cables. It has the SAS-836TQ backplane with 16 x SATA plugs so I figure I need 4 x SFF-8087 to SATA cables and a couple of LSI 8i HBAs. The first question that comes to mind is -- how do people typically wire the backplane? Do you...
  7. F

Openstack lab switch

I am collecting the parts for an openstack cluster and realized that I probably want a switch just for the cluster. I have several HP 1800-24G's in various racks and was about to grab another when I thought I would ask if there was a better choice. The 1800's are very low power ( < 20 watts )...
  8. F

Desktop upgrade

Ok, this is more of a kitbash than a homebrew but we will cover that later Build’s Name: primitivo Operating System/ Storage Platform: windows 10 pro CPU: Xeon L5640 Motherboard: HP Z400 Chassis: HP Z400 Drives: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB RAM: 32GB DDR3-1600 unbuffered ECC (4 * 8GB) Add-in Cards...
  9. F

Openstack lab build guidance

I hope this is the right section -- openstack questions seem spread across various sections on this site. I am looking to set up a small openstack cluster here at home. It is mostly to learn. I was thinking of using multiple physical nodes to get a feel for where the bottlenecks are rather...
  10. F

Homebrew 10gbe switch / router

Continued from Homebrew 10GbE switch Most places don't like necro'ing year old threads so I am starting a new one and ask the mods to merge them if that is preferred. Has anyone else tried what Chuckleb suggested? I got to thinking after reading iLya's thread on daisy chaining servers and...
  11. F

Correct fiber for J4858C 1000BASE-SX SFP

I never thought that I would have to ask what I would think is such a simple question, but what is the correct fiber for connecting a pair of HP J4858C SFP optics? I checked the HP web site and expected to see a definitive answer but from what I can tell they will work with any or all of the...