Search results

1. K

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Sorry for posting 4 posts in a row, I'm ready to stfu about the discovery of how half the config commands don't do anything. How is it on the firmware front? I'm guessing that every firmware version out there has some missing feature implemented. So later firmware versions could have more...
  2. K

Time for everyone to scream like godzilla! ;) And don't buy one of these for use on a production network! There are some really good deals out there that actually work... The 6509's are selling cheap, and with a 720 gig processor card, and 40gig per slot of bandwidth, the 10g is not...
  3. K

And by the way... The lack of real features has some potential implications on performance under layer 3. It may be best to try to use this in layer 2 only if you have a performance application in mind... I mean you did go out and buy a 10g switch, so you might plan on using it. I'm seeing a...
  4. K

Basically what I discovered is that all ports are trunk ports. If a port is unconfigured, it appears to be a trunk port still. any thing I did, seemed to leave the port as a trunk port. But I could, in theory, at least control the VLANs by either including, or excluding specific vlans or...
  5. K

So I can't resist asking... What are you using multicast for? Do you have a uverse connection, or doing security video feeds or something? I'm intrigued by what you might be doing. At the office I have a bank of video streams that feed several TV headend simulations in the lab, but I don't...
  6. K

So I hit a big snag... Heat! Everything but a laptop, and the parts needed to get Internet running are off right now, as I let the room cool back down. My office doesn't have enough HVAC for the equipment in here. On first glance, it was easy to point the finger at the two new switches that...
  7. K

Yes, basically most systems configured for IP are not configured to handle VLAN tags. So for those systems we set the ports to be in access mode, rather than trunking mode. In this case you want VLAN 3, so you make the access ports members of vlan3 that are connected to the SAN and the...
  8. K

Sounds like a great plan... a lot has changed. And TCP/IP is very dated in the context of IPv6...
  9. K

You cannot likely "dynamically" remove tags. However with Cisco equipment I can put one untagged vlan on a trunk port. This is a trick I have used to solve different problems, such as having a management network connection to a device on the same port as a trunk on a device that forces the use...
  10. K

I saw DHCP helper functionality in the documentation posted in this thread... Pretty much all VLAN capable enterprise grade switches have to have that. Every enterprise class company I have ever worked in has enough VLANs that it would be stupid not to have this feature. One of the first...
  11. K

I think it is your nat configuration is failing. Same gateway in both cases, I assume... so we know the Internet side works, directly connected nat works, it is the nat for the routed subnets that is failing. The fact your traceroutes get all the way to the edge router means that path is...
  12. K

There are lots of classes for networking, courses all over the net. TCP/IP for Dummies is a great book, but unless they revised it a lot since I used it to train my staff, it may not cover VLANs. I used that book to train my Internet support staff, starting back in 1994. but I have been...
  13. K

Keep in mind that when you set up nat, you have to nat everything, not just the network directly connected to the edge router. So your nat statements need to cover both the directly connected network, and all of your other private networks as well. Nat statements vary a lot for different kinds...
  14. K

I guess I don't understand what you think is getting lost. So a machine at 192.168.5.2 can ping the internet gateway... so your internal routing is working. What are you doing a traceroute from and to? From 192.168.5.2 to google for example, if it dies at the edge router, then your nat isn't...
  15. K

Yes, any natting router can be your basic firewall. Generally you don't typically see public IP's connect directly to interior switches, but that is not a hard rule, as you might have a DMZ, and use private IP's for say a database server feeding data into a web server, with the web server in...
  16. K

Josh, are you using NAT anywhere? I don't see any nat statements. I don't have my LB6M running yet, so I don't know if it even supports nat. Regardless of that, for your public IP'd machine to return ping packets to your private subnets, either you have to be using "overload" NAT on the...
  17. K

I generally prefer VLAN routing, as it gives me the ability to have more flexibility and control over the network ports. It gives you a one size fits all configuration, so a single layer 3 point to point port has the same general configuration as ports you use for a multi-port vlan, and le...
  18. K

Optical fiber: a bottleneck?

So I ran a small team that operate the network gear for a chain of 10 hospitals and 65 clinics. I had about 15,000 clinical users, and the network structure was gig in the core, and gig between the hospitals. There were 4 core switches (6509) in every hospital serving the building, and 4 more...
  19. K

I tried this on one of my Cisco 6509's, using Cisco SFP's, and they did *nothing*. I honestly don't think that is a valid thing to do. I was trying this because I needed to feed 1G fiber to a GPON router. They originally asked for 10G, so that is what I was expecting, and when the 10G wasn't...
  20. K

So what kind of performance do you see? Have you done any Bonnie++ benchmarks? I have a FreeNAS box that I built a year ago, and it has a bunch of NFS mounts for vmware and daily software build storage. I recently added a pair of 10g ports feeding a couple of Cisco 6509 switches, pushing...