Search results

1. sboesch

How To Migrate Plex Media Server - Ubuntu 20.04.x

This HOW TO assumes that you are using Ubuntu 20.04.x, the principles will remain the same regardless of your Operating System On your new Plex server, perform the following steps Install the Plex Signed Key: curl https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-keys/PlexSign.key | sudo apt-key add – Install...
  2. sboesch

Do you like watching paint dry?

Because watching SQL Servers convert from VMware to Hyper-V is like watching paint dry. :rolleyes: 2 TB volumes take a bit to convert. Why did I volunteer for this? LOL
  3. sboesch

Where is everyone buying their NEW servers from?

I can't seem to get a new server within a reasonable timeline (30 days or less) from anywhere right now. I'm desperate now, am willing to go with whiteboxes. I'm looking for mostly compute for ESXi hosts.
  4. sboesch

45Drives Storage Unit

I got a new toy today. 45Drives 45 bay storage unit. I am going to install and test Ubuntu 20.04 and Rocky Linux with their implementation of Cockpit called Houston as well as TrueNAS Core. This unit has 48x 6TiB Seagate Exos drives, 64GiB of RAM and a XEON Silver CPU, 2x Intel X710 NICS and 3x...
  5. sboesch

What do you do for a living?

I am a Sr. Systems Engineer for an American multi-national commercial vehicle manufacturer. I went back to work in February 2020 after thinking I was retired for the previous 5 years. Pro tip: Don't retire in your early 40's! What are the main technologies you work with? Me: VMware Hyper-V...
  6. sboesch

SATA DOM Power Pins on a Dell Poweredge R730? [SOLVED] DERP!

I feel like a total n00b right now, I bought a Dell 0T4M4 Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB SATA 6Gb/s with a 4-Pin Connector and can't find the power pins on the system board. Did I just buy the wrong thing or am I blind? Which SATA DOM should I get if this is the wrong one?
  7. sboesch

Arrakis - TrueNAS Core FTW!

Build’s Name: Arrakis Operating System/ Storage Platform: TrueNAS Core CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2620 v3 Motherboard: SuperMicro X10DRU-i+ Chassis: SuperMicro SuperServer 6028U-TRTP+ Drives: 1x Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3ME4 64GB - 8x Seagate IronWolf 6TB 7200 RPM Disks RAIDZ2 - 4x Crucial MX500 2TB SSDs...
  8. sboesch

Proxmox Backup Server

Is anybody running Proxmox Backup Server? I am considering installing it on a test box. Is it worth installing and taking a look at? I have 3 Proxmox servers now and am happy with the how they backup and restore.
  9. sboesch

Oof

10. sboesch

TrueNAS Beta 2 is working great!

I installed Beta 2 on one of my servers, it has dual E5-2620 v3 CPUs, and 128GiB of RAM. I have 8x 4TB rust disks in a pool, and two 2TB SSDs in a pool. I have identical speeds and performance as I did with ZOL on Debian Buster. My previous experience with TrueNAS Beta 1 was not so hot, I...
  11. sboesch

I did a thing.

I installed TrueNAS core beta on one of my machines today. It certainly is more refined than it used to be, I think the last time I installed FreeNAS was 10.4 or something like that. I had no issues getting it to install on my Ryzen 7 3700X box. I'm running initial tweaks on the file system and...
  12. sboesch

DRM for Windows File Servers

I'm looking into DRM for our file servers, I was wondering what products you are using and or would recommend.
  13. sboesch

Users Authenticating Against DC's Not In Their Site

I've got an issue that's been nagging at me for some time now, the long and the short of it is that I took a position with an auto manufacturer this February and inherited a wonky issue. We have 24 sites across the Americas and Asia where user objects in some sites in the Americas are...
  14. sboesch

Client NAS Build

A client of mine exceeded the capacity of his Synology 5bay and 8bay shelves. He came to me asking for a solution. His current Synology setup is at 80% capacity, this crazy guy bought 24x 16TB Iron Wolf drives and asked me to build a FreeNas solution around them. His prerequisite was that I...
  15. sboesch

Broadcom SAS 9305-16i Host Bus Adapter Max Disk Size?

Does anyone know what the maximum disk size that the SAS 9305-16i Host Bus Adapter supports? I have a bunch of 16TB disks I want to use for a new NAS build. If that HBA doesn't support 16tb disks, which HBA, preferably a server pull, should I get?
  16. sboesch

Patrick/STH on Linus Tech Tips

17. sboesch

I didn't realize I was almost 4 years behind!

I'm downloading vmware 6.5u1 and the vcenter appliance. I've been running 5.5.0 since early 2014 without a hiccup. As I've mentioned in other posts, I've been out of IT for 3 years, so this should be a (re)learning experience. Below is my current host, wish me luck LOL
  18. sboesch

Today on Amazon Synology DiskStation 2-bay DS216J for $149.99

I snatched one of these up today. Backup device for my backups. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNPT1EG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  19. sboesch

Opinions on Hitachi Desktar NAS Drives

Does anyone have experience with these? HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging 0S04005 - Newegg.com Newegg has a good deal on them, I put 4 in the cart with the promo code and they're $100 a piece shipped.
  20. sboesch

HBA - Openindiana

I have been out of IT for 3 years now, so I'm not up to date on HBAs. I'm looking for recommendations for used/new HBAs with support for disks larger than 4tb, the old IBM ServRAIDs that I have don't support disks larger than 3tb. Any suggestions would be appreciated.