Search results

1. A

Epyc Genoa Build 9354 Critique?

Prices for Epyc Genoa CPUs are all over the place these days. The 32-core 9354 starts at 2700€ retail. The 64-core 9534 starts at 3800€ retail. Don't know how much you are paying. But at this price difference, considering the cost for the whole system, I would pay that premium any day to get...
  2. A

Consumer case with server motherboard

It sure can get confusing and intimidating, when reading some of the horror stories here and in other places. But it's really not that difficult, if you can accept a moderate amount of noise from workstation. And if you use 2nd/3rd gen Epyc CPUs with less than 64 cores, and DIMMs with less than...
  3. A

Will a Xeon server server CPU bottleneck rtx 4070?

I guess this kind of question is usually related to gaming. I understand the concern, but it is impossible to make a blanket statement. Playing CS:GO with competitive settings -> yes, the CPU will be the limiting factor Playing modern AAA titles with high resolution / high settings / raytracing...
  4. A

What are your experiences with NEMIX RAM?

Memtest86 is not the right tool, at least the free version. I don't know how exactly the paid version operates. I think it can be used for ECC, but the question remains how the load is applied. The better and free way to do it has already been posted. Apply heavy load on memory and CPU cores...
  5. A

It's not even that cheap I think? Just the cheapest (or sometimes only?) RDIMM on Newegg. I'd pick used RAM from reputable brands over this, if I really had no way to get it new for a reasonable price.
  6. A

The backstory here is that erock has had a few problems with trying to get the 7F52 to run stable. Corrupting disks, inexplicable resets, dfferent behaviour with different CPUs. There are a few threads here. The other part of that backstory is Nemix RAM itself. I have read from too many people...
  7. A

Waitaminute... during all this time of trying to diagnose cryptic and unexplainable errors and resets, we have been dealing with Nemix RAM? Because f them. If you still can, return that memory.
  8. A

Supermicro H11DSi + 2x7f52 Boot Problems and Spontaneous Restarts

I have the previous version of that case. One of the other benefits of Phanteks cases: The SSI-EEB boards from Supermicro fit without any modifications. The motherboard tray even has all the right holes for standoffs. Don't worry about 1mm, it will fit.
  9. A

For air cooling a dual-socket Epyc system, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 is pretty much ideal.
  10. A

Yeah, the dark base pro 900 is an ok case overall. But airflow really is not its strong suit. Glad to hear that you made some progress.
  11. A

Is memory overclocking possible on retail EPYC Milan?

Stability aside, it's just not possible to go beyond 3200MT/s. No bios lets you set anything higher. Assuming you somehow get your hands on a bios that is not capped at 3200, the retail CPUs are probably locked too.
  12. A

That's very low for a full CPU load. Quite suspiciously so. Maybe it was not the right sensor values? The CPU VRMs can and will go above 100°C. I get up to 60°C with two 7551 CPUs, SMT off, and a water block on the VRMs. For easy bios update via IPMI: GitHub - bwachter/supermicro-ipmi-key...
  13. A

Have you tried keeping an eye on the VRM temperatures? The 7F52 are much higher TDP, and the H11DSi definitely can run into trouble with CPU VRMs overheating in workstation cases. You can use Supermicros "SuperDoctor" software to read the sensors.
  14. A

UK 15.36TB Samsung PM1733 NVMe SSDs for £389.99, plus other bits from the same seller

The seller probably woke up to a full inbox, and is now doubting whether the price was set too low.
  15. A

Not that I knew anything about the logs you posted. Just want to share that when dealing with "bad" SATA drives, never rule out a bad cable ;)
  16. A

UK 15.36TB Samsung PM1733 NVMe SSDs for £389.99, plus other bits from the same seller

That almost sounds too good of an offer to be true. I'll just stand here on the sideline and see how it plays out.
  17. A

Supermicro H11DSi stuck on DXE—CPU Initialization…

There are contact pads on the H11DSi to clear CMOS. You need to bridge them with a screwdriver (or some other conductive tool). The manual knows where to find it.
  18. A

Fixing a broken pin on a H11DSi Supermicro motherboard.

Looks like part of the pin is still there. Someone who is really good with a soldering iron could try to attach an extension to that. On the other hand, that is a risky operation. And success is far from guaranteed. I would probably cut my losses and get another board.
  19. A

Networking Hardware for Parallel Computing on a Small Cluster

Infiniband has been the industry standard for HPC clusters for quite a while now. No need to re-invent the wheel. And the hardware is well within your budget, at least when buying used on ebay.
  20. A

Supermicro Epyc motherboards - list of graphics cards that work - I need help to make a list

I see my question was worded poorly. I was more interested if anyone knows if disabling iKVM could help with the GPU compatibility issue at all.