Search results

1. D

[US-NoVA] Netshelter CX 24U, UPS, JBOD's, Hard drives

For the netshelter, what is the spacing for the rails (from the front mounts to the rear mounts) and what is the distance from the rear mounts to the door when closed? How loud are the fans? The biggest reason I'm interested is because my current setup is so loud and I want to fix it, so noise...
  2. D

WTB: Cloudspeed Eco II 1.92TB (3 needed) $175/ea

Going to leave this thread up for now, but if the sell goes through with T_Minus then I will have all the drives I need! Thanks everyone!
  3. D

Down to needing just 3 more drives!
  4. D

FS: Cleaning day - HGST SAS SSDs, DDR3, E5/E3 CPUs

Thanks, I was hoping the chassis used larger/slower fans in the middle instead of individual (40mm screams I'm sure) fans on each of the blades. Considering that and the fact that you don't have the bridge board I need I guess I will take a pass. I'm going to do some more research and may...
  5. D

Great, how much? If course I'll still have an odd number, lol
  6. D

FS: Cleaning day - HGST SAS SSDs, DDR3, E5/E3 CPUs

Dare I ask how loud these servers are? I'm most interested in the H2216JF. Also, what SAS controller does it use and is it possible to use the PCH SATA ports instead? I would use this for my vSphere lab but vSphere 7 drops support for a LOT of SAS controllers.
  7. D

Did you ever have a chance to check? I have found 9 other drives on ebay for a decent price, which would put me at an odd number and I'm OCD, lol.
  8. D

The total sectors are: Whatever the Sandisk Cloudspeed Eco II 1.92TB drive has! I never asked about other drives, I want the specific drive that I specified in the topic. The only variations I am considering are the SDLF1CRR-019T-1HAx.
  9. D

Just a single drive? I guess it would depend on the cost of shipping to make it cost effective. The seller on ebay offered me 11 drives at $220 with free shipping.
  10. D

Thanks, but since I run hardware RAID I would really prefer to stick with the same model or at least very similar so I know all the disks are the same exact size.
  11. D

I bought 10 of these for my file server originally for $150/ea (I missed out on the $125/ea listing sadly, I would have bought a lot at that price), I figured with the mediocre drive performance and the large number available that I would have a good source of drives for quite a while. Now I...
  12. D

Workstation (ESXi lab) to full Type 1 ESXi 6.7u3 storage issues

Great point, this is a very common problem when using used hardware. Another option to fix it is to use dd to wipe out the first sector of the disk.
  13. D

Installed ESXi 6.7 on a 10 year old Dell server. vCenter worthwhile?

Xeon 5600 series CPUs will continue to work for the foreseeable future, that's the least of your worries. The problem will be that future versions will drop support for devices that rely on VMKLinux drivers...
  14. D

Workstation (ESXi lab) to full Type 1 ESXi 6.7u3 storage issues

I suggest you read my post here and run the commands in the second link to see if it's loading the driver for the controller. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/warning-about-lsi-avago-broadcom-controllers-and-other-hardware-in-esxi.26521/ I suspect you're being limited to...
  15. D

Warning about LSI/Avago/Broadcom controllers (and other hardware) in ESXi

Absolutely, but some of us run products on our home lab as a replication of what we support in our jobs. For those of us in that situation this will mean we will have a large expense coming up, and for anyone working on building/upgrading their lab right now this is a very important thing to...
  16. D

Warning about LSI/Avago/Broadcom controllers (and other hardware) in ESXi

I have to be careful about what I say here, but if you read between the lines here I think you will understand what I'm getting at: VMware plans to deprecate vmkLinux APIs and associated driver ecosystem - VMware vSphere Blog So anything without a native vSphere driver ***MAY*** not working in...
  17. D

FS: Intel Xeon Server Cluster - 30 Servers Total - $4000 for all or OBO

Any interest in selling one of those UPS? (UPSs? UPSes? UPSeseseseses?) I'm in northern VA so I would probably try to come pick it up.
  18. D

Blade systems at home

I have an IBM BladeCenter H Chassis at home running 12x HS22 (Westmere/DDR3 generation) servers. The reason I was on STH today was looking for a cheap/quiet replacement for them... I'm not sure that I agree that blade servers are on their way out, but with the advent of hyper-converged storage...
  19. D

Best place to buy Mikrotik S+RJ10?

Placed my order earlier, just got this email :-( "Unfortunately the S_RJ10 is not in stock. We have no ETA at this time of when we expect to receive product from the manufacturer." greeeeeat...
  20. D

Best place to buy Mikrotik S+RJ10?

Oh wow... that's really good to know! Luckily I don't need jumbo frames for these two connections. I didn't even know a transceiver could affect this...