Search results

1. H

Reclaimed 10TB SAS 4Kn Enterprise hard drives - $145

Border shutdown means I can't purchase these from north of the border! Normally I'd ship it to my US mailbox. Going to have to wait!
  2. H

Huawei MA5671A SFP ONT won't fit in Mikrotik CRS317, CRS328

Thanks, that was a pointer in the right direction. I was able to get the SFP online by doing the following: 1) Set SFP port to auto-negotiate:off, force 1000M 2) Unplug router from AC power 3) Plug in SFP GPON module 4) Plug in router to AC power 5) Repeat a few times until the router recognizes...
  3. H

Ok, so I was able to do some more digging. It's not a physical fit issue. That sounded silly to me when I wrote it, so nice to see it confirmed. On the CRS317, it seems to flap between module present or not. On the CRS328, it doesn't flap. Both show the following when I monitor it via the...
  4. H

Yes did the initial provision with the HomeHub. Works fine. I have an H3C switch where it can recognize the SFP and gets its info like serial number, but it won’t come up. Logs show that the Rx power is low, and there’s a Tx fault. Putting it into a Chelsio T320 worked and even got PPPoE...
  5. H

I just purchased and installed a Mikrotik CRS317, a CRS326, and CRS328. Currently, I'm trying to provision my CRS317 as a core switch/router, and I'm attempting to install a Huawei MA5671A SFP ONT into it for FTTH Internet access. My ISP is Bell Fibe, and I pulled the SFP ONT from the Home Hub...
  6. H

SM X9DRi-F won't boot with 2 CPUs

I've only tried the E5-2670 CPUs I have on hand, both being matched and v1. I should try flashing the BIOS to the latest version, but I'm not confident that it'll solve the issue. Based on your suggestion, I tried 3 different PSUs (all being SM PWS-741Rs), and even an SM PWS-563H that has a...
  7. H

SM X9DRi-F won't boot with 2 CPUs

Hi folks, I finally got a chance to open and install an X9DRi-F board that I bought several months ago. It doesn't POST when a CPU is installed in socket 2. Doesn't matter which CPU of the 2 I use, nor does it matter what combination of RAM sticks I install, 2 CPUs won't boot. The socket pins...
  8. H

ConnectX-3 dual port 10Gb SFP+ NIC for $129

That's exactly the problem I ended up having. The ConnectX-3 is a better buy for that reason alone. Or, just buy Intel X520-DA1/2 cards and call it a day. Intel cards work flawlessly in ESXi 6.5.
  9. H

WTB 1U SM Super Quiet Power Supplies

FS: Supermicro SC216BE16 2U 24 bay chassis, 1151 motherboard, & PWS-920P-SQ
  10. H

Active DAC with Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN?

Turns out, it's the other way around. With the Mellanox card, it won't come up. But on an Intel X520, it comes up fine with this cable. The switch side recognizes that it's a Cisco SFP/cable. The Mellanox card doesn't recognize it, and I can't seem to figure out which utility to use to help...
  11. H

Active DAC with Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN?

Well, I'm running into this now. I definitely need to use an active DAC, and it's the Cisco-branded SFP-H10GB-ACU7M that I'm using. Going into a datacenter, and I don't have control of the switch it's going into, so I can't just go optical and get my own transceivers. Has anyone gotten this to...
  12. H

WTB: X9DRD-iF/LF

PM'd you.
  13. H

WTB: X9DRD-iF/LF

Tried buying 2 of these LF boards off eBay, and both ended up being damaged. Very frustrating. If anyone has a source for one of these boards, I’d be grateful. Thanks!
  14. H

Cisco freebies for the cost of shipping and handling

That switch would be amazing, but it's too bad you can't run it standalone.
  15. H

Canada WTB: SM PDB-PT825-8824

Just bought a system with an SC825 chassis, not realizing that sometimes these things don’t come with a PDB. Which defeats the purpose of my quiet redundant PSUs (PWS-741P-1R). Looking to buy a compatible PDB. It would cost me about $40-50 CAD off eBay. But I’m hoping someone here might have a...
  16. H

[High Fail Rate] Seagate 3TB Desktop 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB - ST3000DM001 - $67.99

The HGST I posted earlier today is a better deal. Sure, they're refurbished, but they're HGST, very reliable, and $42. At that price, I bought spares.
  17. H

Chelsio T320 dual SFP+ & 2 transceivers - 32 $

That's correct, NIC doesn't matter, both FreeNAS and pfSense exhibit similar behaviour/speeds with an Intel X520 or Chelsio N320E. I have not tried the onboard 1GB NIC, but I will shortly. The x8 vs x4 thing was something I thought about too. The FreeNAS box has 4 x8 slots (SuperMicro X9SCM)...
  18. H

HGST 7k4000 HUS724030ALE641 3TB Refurb $59.00 Newegg

This deal is back on, except now there's a 30% off coupon code, bringing the drive price down to $42. EMCRKBF33 Just bought 10. 6 for my off-site FreeNAS backup box, 1 to stick into a VMware ESXi box for VM datastore (no need for iSCSI anymore really), and 3 for cold spares, since across 24...
  19. H

Just reinstalled the Chelsio NIC back into the FreeNAS box, and I'm seeing the exact same performance numbers. So there's something about FreeNAS that's messed up on the networking side. The NIC doesn't matter. I might have to resort to posting on the FreeNAS forums for help, but they're...
  20. H

Increasing the streams by adding -P 2 to 8 on iPerf had no impact. Same speeds. I'll try a DAC between pfSense and FreeNAS, but a "direct connect" fiber between my workstation and FreeNAS yielded the same speeds. 9.5 Gbps from Win10 to FreeNAS, but only 2 Gbps from FreeNAS to Win10. This was...