Search results

1. J

Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220

I’m not sure what your end goal is but if you’re just looking for symlinks to drive slots, you could always write a custom udev rule to create the proper device nodes under /dev (though udev creates them automatically for me on Debian Testing.)
  2. J

yeah, a flash programmer is probably the easiest way to recover this. I have a bricked EMM that I intend to recover this way and will post a guide in this thread once I get around to it.
  3. J

Two Fanless Intel Celeron N5105 4x 2.5GbE Options Reviewed

Just purchased one of these: 145.76US $ 49% OFF|Pfsense Firewall N5105 Router 4x Intel I225-v B3 2.5g Lan 2xddr4 Nvme Industrial Fanless Mini Pc 4xusb Hdmi2.0 Opnsense Pve Esxi - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress (after another great review from STH). I intend to flash the programmable memory...
  4. J

Last night I solved a major frustration I had with serial console on these things. I'm a Mac user and delete (Backspace on a PC keyboard) never worked properly in serial console. I'm not a great typist and so not having a working delete key is extremely important. I use iTerm2 and there's a...
  5. J

Found a really handy item for configuring two MD1200s. I’m leaving this plugged in to the head unit and have a screen session open on /dev/ttyUSB0, and /dev/ttyUSB1. Helps for when those days when the fans spin back up mysteriously...
  6. J

Be super careful when flashing with _boot as it will accept any file over the XMODEM protocol and not even do a size check. I accidentally flashed an arbitrary file to one of my EMMs and bricked it. I noticed that _shutup works in unified mode and doesn't ramp the fans back up under this...
  7. J

Tyan Motherboard fails to POST

The 2x 82574L was one of the selling points for me when I bought this board. Apparently 82574LM is supported by OpenIndiana now so it's a moot point. I also saw the Newegg reviews about IPMI problems while the machine was powered off. I remember reading a review that mentioned ipmitool still...
  8. J

If the BIOS revisions are just differential updates I could see why ordering would be important. In hindsight that would have been a safer approach especially after encountering that error message. If I can't get a V201 EEPROM directly from Tyan, I'll order another motherboard and do the hotswap...
  9. J

Okay, progress. I got the board to POST. I had a non-Ivy Bridge Xeon (Sandy Bridge E3-1220) overnighted and my assertion was correct, the shipping BIOS of V103 is incompatible with Ivy Bridge Xeons and the board POST'd fine with the Sandy Bridge Xeon installed. With the Sandy Bridge Xeon...
  10. J

If I could get into BIOS I could tell you ;) (No, it power cycles after about 30 seconds.)
  11. J

I've tried with non-ECC RAM and pulled the RAM out and the it behaves the same way. This leads me to believe it's a problem with the CPU. I've tested a Seasonic SS-400FL and a Corsair CMPSU-750TX.
  12. J

I had another S5510GM3NR overnighted and tested it with the same configuration and reproduced the problem on the new board. This board also had a BIOS EEPROM labeled V103 and I'm beginning to think that this version won't even POST with an Ivy Bridge CPU and that the information the Tyan tech...
  13. J

My Tyan S5510GM3NR is not POST'ing either. I've reduced the machine down to four components: RAM, CPU, PSU, motherboard and tried swapping the RAM and PSU with known good spares. I've also reseated the CPU (checked for bent socket pins) and reseated the BIOS EEPROM as suggested by a Tyan...