Search results

1. T

What to do with a Cisco FPR-2110

I have a Cisco FPR-2110 as a "freebie" thrown in on a Cisco order at work but it only has the base Firepower license. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do with this fairly powerful piece of hardware since I can't do any of the fancy IPS, URL filtering, or malware protection policies without...
  2. T

Seeking monitor and resolution opinions

I'm needing to purchase a new monitor(s) to work from home. I am very near-sighted and have very bad astigmatism neither of which are totally correctable. I also now need reading glasses for almost anything within arms length. Right now at the office I use two cheapo ViewSonic 27" monitors at...
  3. T

FS: 16GB DDR3 RDIMMs, Intel X520-DA2, E5-2600v1

These are all working pulls or are in use now. Some I have used in my home lab for a couple years. Shipping will be USPS from 72032 to CONUS. Paypal preferred. 31 x Hynix HMT42GR7GMR4C-G7 16GB 4Rx4 PC3-8500R (SOLD) 19 x Samsung M393B2K70CM0-CF8Q5 16GB 4Rx4 PC3-8500R (SOLD) 1 x Intel X520-DA2...
  4. T

16GB DDR3-1066 vs 32GB DDR3-1866

Nevermind. I stopped being lazy and found a ton of information that answers my questions. Thanks.
  5. T

Homelab VMware backup options

I just about have my home network/lab infrastructure all in place so now turning my attention to how to backup everything before I start putting a ton of time into configuring all of the home services I have in mind like DVR, home automation and security, etc. My lab consists of a 2 host VMware...
  6. T

WTB: 1 x 8GB 4Rx8 DDR3 RDIMM

Looking to buy one 8GB 4Rx8 PC3-8500R RDIMM. Specifically, I'd like to find a Hynix HMT31GR7AFR8C-G7 but at this point I'd be willing to entertain any brand RAM with the same specs. I bought a kit of 4 off eBay at a really good price but one stick was bad and the seller doesn't have another so...
  7. T

Mellanox branded vs OEM

Looking at jumping on the cheap 10G bandwagon with the Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards. They will be used in two ESXi 6 hosts direct connected via DAC for a Starwind VSAN sync and iscsi network. Is there any value in getting the actual Mellanox MNPA19-XTR vs a branded HP or Dell for use in a...
  8. T

RAID controller for ESXi local data store

X9SRL-F w/ E5-2650 and 64GB RAM running ESXi 6.0U2 Guests are: Windows 2012 R2 DC/DNS/DHCP/CA/RADIUS Sophos UTM 9 Windows 7 NextPVR recording backend for Kodi clients Ubuntu MySQL for Kodi clients MineOS Minecraft server FreeNAS 11 exporting storage (mirrored 4TB HDD) for time...
  9. T

Looking for home media system suggestions

Seeking advice and opinions on set top box, frontend software, and backend software combinations to provide typical DVR functionality as well as Netflix, Amazon, and local content streaming for 5 TVs. Wife Approval Factor is of paramount importance of course. I'd like any backend services to...
  10. T

smartctl -a from shell causing HBA timeouts

I have 8 x 2TB SATA2 drives attached to an IBM BR10i (LSI 1068e). I also have 6 x 128GB SSDs attached to the LSI controller on my Supermicro X8DT6-F motherboard. Both HBAs are flashed with IT firmware. New install of FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 (64fcd8e). I am playing with running...
  11. T

2012 R2 Storage Spaces config advice

I salvaged some parts and pieces from a test/dev hardware refresh and general storage cleaning at work. I bought the Supermicro MB used off eBay, picked up a Rosewill 4u case (JUNK, replacing ASAP), and an EVGA G2 power supply to build a NAS for a home lab. I've tried FreeNAS, OmniOS w/...