Search results

1. O

PCIe adapter riser card (low profile x16 to full height x8)?

Recently fishing around at oddball stuff, and noticed while there are many servers with full height x8 PCIe slots, there really doesn't seem to be proper low profile PCIe card adapters that behave as a PCIe pass through riser with lane reduction. The closest things I found so far is Startech's...
  2. O

Supermicro AOC-SLG3-8E2P Octaport NVMe HBA

I recently discovered that Supermicro has a PCIe PLX switch HBA card that supports 8 downstream devices via OCuLink, and that it's been out for maybe a year now. AOC-SLG3-8E2P | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. Does anybody have any experience with this beast...
  3. O

U.2 to quad M.2 carrier (2.5 inch form factor)?

While oogling assorted NVMe gear, I ran across a bit of an oddball device. U.2 2.5" form factor device that hosts a PCIe switch and 4 M.2 22110 drives. An interesting potential alternative to an Amfeltec Squid. Viking Enterprise Solutions U20040 U.2 NVMe SSD M.2 Carrier High Performance Solid...
  4. O

New U.2 NVRAM NVMe SSD (Radian formerly Viking)?

Previously it was reported that the Viking Technology U.2 NVMe NVRAM drive was no longer available despite only a year after announcement, or at the least no ordinary humans could obtain it. VT-PM8 & VT-PM16 Persistent Memory Drive - Viking Technology | Memory and Storage Solutions It...
  5. O

Single node loopback storage VM?

I'm trying to get a feel for alternatives to using Storage Spaces on a single node workstation tower due to the minimum requirements and inefficiencies of Storage Spaces when using multi-resilient volumes (mirror journal tier, mirror cache tier, dual parity bulk tier leads to a minimum 3+3+7...
  6. O

Viable DC optane configurations?

I've been looking over the DC optane population guide, but it wasn't clear about the case where you don't have DRAM in all memory channels. It seems to suggest, based on the iMC rules, for App Direct mode at least, that for a single CPU socket, supporting 6 or more memory slots supporting 6...
  7. O

Slightly oddball server build advice

Hi folks! At work we have an older Nexenta ZFS rig serving mostly iSCSI to ESXi blades that my boss is getting worried about because we have no "support" and the drives are getting old, and the people who built it made a zpool ashift choice error (default ashift=9 rather than forcing 12) so we...