Search results

1. Thinkcat

EXPIRED 4TB HGST SAS Hard Drives - $8

How difficult or how expensive is it to suddenly add a few SAS drives? The price of the drives plus something. An used controller card and some new or used cables? What are the good, bad and affordable of these? Is it possble to boot off of a SAS drive?
  2. Thinkcat

What is the condition of used HGST HUH721010ALE601 10 TB Helium drives sold on eBay?

They did not respond. So I bought a few drives from Insidesystems. There's probably not a big difference in quality, but there was suddenly a -5 % coupon, so I went for it. Valid until Apr 13, though I am not sure who it is available to.
  3. Thinkcat

What is the condition of used HGST HUH721010ALE601 10 TB Helium drives sold on eBay?

I asked for smartctl devstat or attribute data now. Will see what happens.
  4. Thinkcat

Hello I am looking to buy three of these for my NAS (RAID1, either two-way and one spare or three-way). I know drives sold by Insidesystems in Denmark have been run for 3.5 to 4 years and 1400 TB written during that time. But there's also iuppiter B.V. who sells these in the Netherlands. These...
  5. Thinkcat

Tiny or small form factor Xeon workstations (or Ryzen with official ECC)?

To get back to this, I haven't yet switched from my previous machine to the ThinkStation, but that will happen soon. I see many offers for that Micron 32 GB ECC DDR4 UDIMM. Question is, is it the only game in town, or is there an easy way to find other 32 GB ECC DDR4 UDIMMs? I mean, what is...
  6. Thinkcat

The sanity of buying a used RTX A2000 right now

Hello Looking for a graphics card that could double as a small-time compute card for my SFF Thinkstation. I like RTX A2000 because it's about the maximum I can afford and because it blows its hot air out of the case. What I am worried about is if many of those cards currently for sale in eBay...
  7. Thinkcat

Should I buy HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini or Dell Optiplex 7060 micro?

- No cradle and nothing related to it. Not sure yet but I have in mind to buy one from eBay and then dremel it in a way that still lets me use both M.2 slots. - No option card. I'd like to know what is the best quality or closest to original HDMI 2.0 output. - No WiFi or anything related to...
  8. Thinkcat

I got one HP, with 512 GB M.2 and one 8 GB SO-DIMM. Seems like nobody wanted these and on the last day of the sale for the last two hours they would have given additional 30 % off, but at that point I had already bought mine. They had 39 and sold four, which includes the one I got. If I had...
  9. Thinkcat

My educational institution is offloading a bunch of old computers for below market prices. Only one for each buyer. These both have i5-8500T, 8 GB and 512 GB (probably 2.5" SATA SSD, because M.2 is mentioned separately for other units). Given that they have no Thinkstations or Thinkcentres on...
  10. Thinkcat

Memory.net does not advertise any 32 GB ECC DIMM for Thinkstation P330. Also, W480 is a newer generation. I'll keep on looking for something that is affordable and available in Europe. And compatible, at least according to someone.
  11. Thinkcat

According to Wikipedia, Coffee Lake supports 128 GB total memory. Lenovo states that P330 SFF Gen 2 supports 64 GB, but there is a note that says "The max memory is based on the test results with current Lenovo® memory offerings. The system may support more memory as the technology develops." Is...
  12. Thinkcat

Thanks for all the information. I have one Refreshing Lake of Coffee coming my way. With a load of non-ECC memory though, so gotta take care of that when it arrives.
  13. Thinkcat

I wonder… are there multiple different motherboards for P330 SFF? Or if I buy just any P330 SFF, even an i5 Coffee Lake, I can swap a Coffee Lake Refresh Xeon and ECC memory into it and have everything working? This is, CL to CL Refresh, i5 to Xeon and non-ECC to ECC. Of course, just to be safe...
  14. Thinkcat

Thanks. I want to use two 3.5" hard disks for storage and one M.2 or 2.5" SSD for OS. Seems like Thinkstation P320 and P330 SFF would fit the bill. The SFF after that contain only one 3.5" bay. Also it clearly seems there is no tiny or mini from Dell or Lenovo with any type of Xeon. No. And...
  15. Thinkcat

Hello Got interested in mini tower Xeon workstations (Thinkstation P320 and such), but wondering if these are available in a yet smaller form factor. I haven't heard of a desktop mini with a Xeon, but whoever has done this research before, please tell me what you found.
  16. Thinkcat

A cheap but good small managed gigabit switch for homelab

Hello Bumping this to revisit this question. I think this is the correct way to do it, instead of starting a new thread. I eventually got a Netgear GS108Tv2. It is 1) fanless, 2) runs off a 12 V supply, 3) supports VLANs and 4) supports LACP. I could have survived with GS308T becase I don't...
  17. Thinkcat

Are there any serious management features in GSM5212-100NES ProSafe M4100 that are missing from GS108T? I think my final setup will include two GS108T connected together with two links, giving me 12 ports in a very nice form factor. But I'll start with one.
  18. Thinkcat

Hello again. And thanks for your contributions. It seems like the perfect solution would be the M4000-D12G, but I don't want to afford it at the moment. My best bet, to current budget and all other requirements, would be the better 8-port Netgear, that is GS108T. I use a 12 V system, based on a...
  19. Thinkcat

Hello I used search, but could not find an exactly matching thread. So here is a new one. I am looking for a * fanless, * managed * 8 to 12 port switch with * VLAN support (32 will do fine), * link aggregation and * STP support. I do not need PoE or QoS. I think I'll rather buy two...
  20. Thinkcat

Affordable little Xeon workstation

I didn't ask for any steering. I didn't ask for any second-guessing. If you demand to do that and not answer any questions, then this simply is no forum for questions. Well, feel free to keep on steering each other and leave me out of it. I had no luck getting answers before showing any...