Search results

1. Joseph Nunn

Intel Xeon E5-2680v2

Not particularly, but I don't appreciate people putting words into my mouth that I did not say. My original post was analytical and not particularly provocative in any way I can see. People are bringing their own problems, not me.
  2. Joseph Nunn

Intel Xeon E5-2680v2

Never said it was a con, you must have some problems with reading comprehension. I said if you don't already have v1 processors the price is decent, but the incremental gains I can get from upgrading from v1 to v2 processors is not worth more than $150 each to me, and I doubt its worth that...
  3. Joseph Nunn

Intel Xeon E5-2680v2

Sounds like you and your friend posters are affiliated with the Ebay sellers now selling those chips. I don't believe for one second that esiso, fifakingdom, and the rest don't know about this forum or don't take advantage of it to push their stock. Thank you though for being so transparent...
  4. Joseph Nunn

Intel Xeon E5-2680v2

I'm waiting until I can get 2 2680 v2 for $150 each. The improvement over 2670 v1 is just not worth any more if you already have them. I doubt the incremental improvement is worth even that much tbh. If you are building a new box they could be fine at the current price. However many...
  5. Joseph Nunn

Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

I did not, Superbiiz was unable to source the board when they claimed. I waited as long as I could, and ended up getting a Supermicro X9DAi from them instead. Which arrived without further problems. I'm now typing on my new frankenbox and it is pretty cool. Although the X9DAi was about $100...
  6. Joseph Nunn

"Raid Wars", or AKA "Raid Level 5 Considered Harmful"

I'm starting a thread to discuss the relative merits of the various RAID levels and their use, so others who are considering how to organize their arrays may benefit from the collective knowledge pooled. Welcome are links to any kind of academic research, benchmarks, or other articles exploring...
  7. Joseph Nunn

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

I believe the 'SQ' at the end of the product name stands for Super Quiet, and those PSUs are supposed to be so in comparison to the usual 'aircraft engine' sounding PSUs. I think you are right on getting it as that is exactly what you want for a homelab.
  8. Joseph Nunn

We are good. I downloaded the manual, and I have to say that you bought an awesome motherboard. I would buy one right now if it was still available for what you spent. As some people mentioned, there are many who wish they could buy that board right now at the price you paid. You got lucky...
  9. Joseph Nunn

Really I just don't know what the point of this post is. You can't hang a graphics card off the PCH. And I said there was 40 PCIe lanes per CPU, so really, what is your point here besides not understanding what I said in my post? Maybe you just are hoping you can claim I'm wrong about something.
  10. Joseph Nunn

What other forums? My guess is from your i7 overclock its a gaming focused forum and if that is what you want then yes you are buying the wrong kit. However you say you are a developer, in which case your primary concern might be compilation speed. The dual E5-2670s would spank a 4790 in...
  11. Joseph Nunn

E5-2640v2 vs E5-2687W

I would love to have gotten E5-2687Ws, but the price difference on Ebay made no sense to me. $300 each vs $55-60 each for 2670s that are rated 115w, its a no brainer there. Definitely you will find the 2687W to be awesome, but they will also consume quite a bit of electricity I think. I would...
  12. Joseph Nunn

Fusion-io ioDrive II - 1.2TB+ drives <0.50/GB

Ok I can see the lack of kernel driver support being a problem on Linux, and definitely on Windows, I did the google dance there to learn a bit. However I generally disagree about saying things like "You don't need X", because really thats making a judgement call without all the facts, just...
  13. Joseph Nunn

Ok, but without color on that I don't learn anything, if you have a link with more detail I would gladly read it. For myself I'm looking for a PCIe SSD for general use, including as a boot drive. Intel 750 would work I think, but I'm looking to Ebay something on the cheap if possible and these...
  14. Joseph Nunn

Wow the price has been jacked up sadly. I will watch and wait on Ebay for the time being. Does anyone know if it possible to use this drive as a boot device? Maybe on Linux? Thanks! Joseph
  15. Joseph Nunn

E5-2670 - has anyone disabled cores?

Found this chart on Ivy Bridge: http://blog.stuffedcow.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ivb_power.png I can understand HT might not be the biggest power draw, which is likely to be dominated by the functional units themselves rather than the second copy of the registers HT uses. However HT...
  16. Joseph Nunn

What are some good Intel V4 dual-processor motherboards?

ASRock Rack > EP2C612 WS $360 at Superbiiz. Supports console redirection over a COM port as per manual, pg. 63-65. IPMI is web based, maybe you can ssh in. Joseph
  17. Joseph Nunn

E5-2670 - has anyone disabled cores?

What I might try in your position is disabling hyperthreading if 16 threads is all you need rather than disable physical cores. You'll reduce the maximum threads, power draw, and heat, but without leaving your real computational power on the table. My CPUs are not here yet so I can't test, but...
  18. Joseph Nunn

Eh, not what I was thinking, as you have to treat estimating the single thread speed differently from the multi-threaded. Specifically the former involves computing the ratio of clock speeds of the two processors (2630v4 and 2620v4) at single core max turbo and multiplying the single thread...
  19. Joseph Nunn

The 2630 v4 is on the lists, its .1 GHz faster and has 2 more cores. With a bit of math you can easily figure out what a 2620 v4 should look like. Joseph
  20. Joseph Nunn

I would also like to play around with an Intel Phi, but sadly missed out on the special $195 deal from Colfax Intel Xeon Phi 31S1P Special Promotion at the end of last year. I'm looking around for prices similar to the deal, but the cheapest I can find is ~$400 a board, where are you sourcing...