Search results

1. D

ESXi 6.7 & Infiniband - state

Ahhhh, I missed that, and assumed the CX4 was in IB mode... It would be nice to run vSAN across IB, especially considering the bandwidth and latency available with all-nVME SSD storage. I wonder if anyone has configured that before?
  2. D

I was referring to this comment in the paper:
  3. D

Have y'all seen this VMWare article on using SR-IOV InfiniBand adapters with ESXi 7 or later?: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/performance/vsphere7x-infiniband-sriov-setup-perf.pdf It's used for both cluster networking and storage, as well as vNIC's...
  4. D

Anyone using IB over ConnectX-3 w/ ESXi 7.0U1?

Have y'all seen this VMWare article on using SR-IOV InfiniBand adapters with ESXi 7 or later?: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/performance/vsphere7x-infiniband-sriov-setup-perf.pdf It's used for both cluster networking and storage, as well as vNIC's...
  5. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Be careful making sure you check the model number before buying. The model numbering scheme is confusing. I just purchased a 6610-48-PE thinking it was a 6610-48P-E. The latter has PoE ports, while the former does not. If you are unsure, be sure to check the datasheets listed on the first...
  6. D

The Official NVIDIA GRID M40 Thread

Has anyone gotten the VDI drivers working for these? Would love to be able to use it as vGPU's for vDGA or vSGA in ESXi or a with a VMWare View virtual desktop cluster.
  7. D

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Does anyone have an image with MultiCast enabled? I need it to support VMWare vSAN.
  8. D

I have learned that Broadcom offered two different versions of the FASTPATH software, FASTPATH-SMB and FASTPATH-ENT. Some documents also refer to the "Advanced" feature set. I am not sure if that means FASTPATH-ENT or not. So far, I have not seen any keys or information on how to upgrade from...
  9. D

So I am having trouble with multicast requirements for VMWare vSAN. Apparently, multicast is a requirement to make that work, but it is an option which my particular switch doesn't have. If you do a SHOW TECH-SUPPORT command, look at the "Additional Packages" section. Other options are...
  10. D

Dell 8024F noise level

I have the same issue. The 4036 fans are like small jet engines. I can't imaging a whole rack of these monsters. I have seen some folks responding that they have found some similarly-sized fans that flow less air, but are much quieter, and have the same form factor. I understand there are...
  11. D

Are these Voltaire infiniband switches good?

Here is a Mellanox document on setting the port modes of a VPI HCA: http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_gateway_systems/Configuring_Mellanox_Hardware%20_for_VPI_Operation_Application_Note.pdf It is possible to set up three hosts to talk to each other using IB without a switch, in a...
  12. D

Smoking hot deal: Quanta LB6M 24-port SFP+ 10GbE $500 BO

I found a manual for the Quanta LB4M. If the LB6M has all the same features, it looks like a nice switch. IPv6 support, Layer-3, QoS, Web management interface: https://acm.cs.uic.edu/wiki/_media/lb4m.pdf
  13. D

Smoking hot deal: Quanta LB6M 24-port SFP+ 10GbE $500 BO

If you have a HCA with QSFP ports (MCX354A-FCBT), can you connect to a 10G Ethernet switch having SFP+ ports? I know there are QSFP <-> four SFP+ breakout cables. Can I plug one (or all four) of those SFP+ cables into this switch and it would work? The challenge seems to be that QSFP has four...
  14. D

Are these Voltaire infiniband switches good?

I think he may have meant using HP firmware on the Voltaire switch (not the HCA). From what I can tell, HP has dropped the links to their Voltaire firmware, and you have to get it from Mellanox now, by opening a support account. I would recommend trying to get a 4036E if possible, as it has...
  15. D

Voltaire 4036 - anyone make quiet yet?

I have been wondering the same thing about making these switches quieter. They sound like a jet engine. There are two fan speeds, normal and turbo. They boot in turbo and then fall back to normal, but even normal is crazy loud. It doesn't make sense that these switches need a lot of fan...