Search results

1. A

ConnectX3 VPI on Solaris/Omnios

Official statement from Oracle about Connectx-4/5 support in Oracle Solaris: "Here is the current status in 2019:Currently only Mellanox CX-2/CX-3 are supported in Solaris11.4. Mellanox CX-4/CX-5 will be supported in future running in ethernet mode (not IB mode), and only in ZFSSA, and not for...
  2. A

ConnectX3 VPI on Solaris/Omnios

I'm very late to this, and I don't remember the specifics, but there is a way to set the "dual mode" ConnectX-3 to default to Ethernet, and this works on Solaris 11.3 and 11.4. I had to boot Linux, and run a Mellanox utility to set it. Once set, the card stays that way even if you power down and...
  3. A

Dell MD1200 SAS topology - and alternatives

Interesting. I'm running those md1000s in split mode. Once I vacate the ZFS pools on them, I'll put them in unified mode and check it out.
  4. A

Dell MD1200 SAS topology - and alternatives

Does anyone know if the Dell MD1200 series controllers do "wide SAS" to the expanders? An lsiutil dump of the topology of an existing setup would be great to look at (option 16, Display attached devices) Given that they are daisy-chain-able, I'm thinking they are using only one SAS lane instead...
  5. A

Sun Oracle Flash Accelerator F40 400GB PCIe SSD - $99 + 15 BIN

So there's no way to get these cards to do RAID of any sort without crippling it and putting it PCI-e x1 mode?
  6. A

Supermicro on eBay - what's up with the prices?

I'm looking for another 16-bay (or larger) TQ backplane cabinet. I can run 6Gbps SAS through it. I have enough Dell servers to choose from at work as they are end-of-lifed. But any of the disk cabinets that are available are all for the birds. Either 2.5" drives, or Dell MD1000's which are...
  7. A

Supermicro on eBay - what's up with the prices?

All of a sudden, Supermicro enclosures have gotten scarce and expensive. I bought a 836TQ in December, and it was under $300 w/shipping. Now, I can't find anything even close, and all the rest of them are brand-new. What happened, some huge datacenter cycled all their hardware and the eBay...
  8. A

Oracle F80 (Nytro Drive) Smart info question

I have an F40, but see similar values. Using smartctl on a Solaris system: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x0033 120 120 050 Pre-fail Always - 0 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct...
  9. A

The Sun firmware doesn't allow hardware raid, even though the embedded LSI controller can. I heard something (maybe from this very thread) that someone was going to try to install the LSI Warpdrive firmware, but I don't know if they succeeded. Logical sector size on these drives if 4096 bytes...
  10. A

Two things. First, Solaris 11.3 x86 reports all four drives support TRIM/UNMAP using: echo '*sd_state::walk softstate|::print struct sd_lun un_f_is_trim_supported'|mdb -k Second, as ZIL, they never get used, EXCEPT when the blocksize is smaller than the ZFS recordsize. Which is great in...
  11. A

Following up on my own post, installed the card in a dell R710 with dual X5690's, and it works fine. This machine has a quad-port LSI SAS card, a Mellanox 10Gbe dual-port card, and a dual-port LSI 2008-based card. Works great. Using half the card as a ZFS ZIL (mirrored) and the other half as...
  12. A

Thanks Danic, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try it out in one of my R710's. FYI, in Solaris X86, a single F40 SSD gave me around 500MB/sec writes using IOZONE and a 128K block size (default zfs recordsize). Striping all four got me up to around 1.5GB/sec. Has anyone noticed that...
  13. A

Bought one of these cards, just installed it in a test machine I have - a Z77 based Intel motherboard. DZ77GA This motherboard only comes with 2 x16 slots, and one x4 slot that can take longer cards. Install the F40 in any other slot than the first x16, and it won't initialize itself, and is...
  14. A

BPN-SAS2-846EL1

That second cable is either to pass back to the RAID controller and provide two paths to each SAS drive (if the RAID controller can handle it) or a passthrough to an external SAS connector for daisy-chaining. I've been researching these Supermicro 846's for a while now, trying to decide if I...