Search results

1. S

HardwareForumStorageCan I use the G-Tech G Drive on a PC with Windows 10? Can I use the G-Tech G Dr

Probably a stupid question. But if they are plugged in are they susceptible to viruses? Initially ai was just going to buy another HGST 4TB NAS and copy the first one. But I was told that was dumb even if I disabled the drive ... Viruses could still wipe it out. TBH all above my head if its...
  2. S

HardwareForumStorageCan I use the G-Tech G Drive on a PC with Windows 10? Can I use the G-Tech G Dr

Gosh just read the 1 and 2 star reviews Says the enclosure encrypts the drive. If that fails WD can not help you. Ouch!
  3. S

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I Will look at your recomendation, but am worried about the cable connectors my experience of WD Passports seem to have very fragile connectors. I had abig wake up when I bought the Lexar Workflow Pro card readers fabulous firm but rock solid connectors...
  4. S

This drive looks ideal for me as an external back up drive, so I Will have an archive drive in the pc, and an external one to put in the safe:- G-DRIVE USB | G-Technology 7,200 rpm, external power supply, USB3.0, and hopefully the rumour it uses the HGST NAS drive inside is true , and will match...
  5. S

Intel 750 SSD in C612 motherboard?

Yes, I do use the X10SRA-O and boot Windows 10 Home from the Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB ... Takes a few seconds maybe 7 to load Windows. You need the latest BIOS that supports NVMe. Set up as A UEFI Boot and set the slot to EFI. Best to unplug the Sata Data Cable to all other AHIC drives or you...
  6. S

Supermicro and UEFI BIOS?

Just remember if you have something like the Intel 750 PCIe SSD, and want to boot from it ( and you will when you see it load windows in 7 secs. ) to get into the Bios and change the boot to UEFI USB, AND then go to The PCIe tsb and set that to UEFI and EFI .... If you don't, mine won't load...
  7. S

Compact Dual E5 Xeon 2690 v3 Build

I must say I really couldnt understand what your obsession was with the small form. But having seen your airport requirements; and having had a job that meant flying 3 times a week I totally understand! Getting the last flight back on Friday night and feeling just a decent laptop's strap cutting...
  8. S

Compact Dual E5 Xeon 2690 v3 Build

Hmmm Small case forget the 950 Pro ... Hits 100C in 60 secs needs a fan playing on it. Only solution is the Asus Hyper PCIe to M2 ( beautifully built adapter ... Also takes that heat from the Samsung which is right on the connector check heat imaging camera reviews ... :(:(:( I have the Intel...
  9. S

Supermicro X10SRA-O, E5 1650v3, Samsung DDR4 ECC RAM?

Thanks so much, for the detailed reply, most helpful. Wish I had known before. As I need to get this running quickly and am not sure I can add the extra 2 dimms with the huge D15 Noctua cooler in place - will check that tomorrow. I think this sort of info stuff would be useful to newbies like...
  10. S

Thanks for the info Right that was very helpful The other article just said 1/2 speed. As if the second 16Gb was not even there. So I guess when I come to do 4K video editing it might be a good thing to upgrade. Am I understanding it properly :- Although it can access all 32GB, the " access...
  11. S

As a newbie need advice. I put in 2x 16GB Samsung DDR4 Ram, its recognised and runs very well. I saw a post on Toms Hardware that stated if one puts 2x 16GB ( 32 GB in total) that if you have a 4 Channel memory MB then only 2 Channels will be addressed, and it will run at 50% of the speed of a...