Search results

1. K

Effect of heat on system??

Well, I'll be checking my capacitors, but feel more comfortable based on everyone's input. I appreciate all the thoughts! Thanks!
  2. K

I really see nothing unusual. The compute errors I can track down occurred on other computers as well. All seems normal at this point. I'm waiting to see whether there are failures in apps elsewhere. Can't see anything in system logs, though I don't know that there *would* be anything...
  3. K

I left home for a week at a conference and came back to find that someone had closed the cabinet door on my new system despite everyone being told to never do that. The system works on BOINC constantly, including GPUGRID. As it turned out the Internet connection was inoperable for most of the...
  4. K

Sandy Bridge and Supermicro X9SCx (C204) - BIOS flash

I'm sure I went overboard, since the cpu's a lower heat generator than the AMDs I'm used to. But I don't mind too much. Right now it feels pretty darned warm to me (as I look inside to answer msiegel's questions). I'm going to play with the fan some (put it on full instead of letting the...
  5. K

I honestly didn't. Thought I'd try to sell it off, actually. I haven't been able to get Superdoctor up and running on Linux yet, where I am most of the time, so I can't check the cpu T. The quickest reboot out to BIOS always shows a "Low" on the cpu, but things cool off quickly, too. The GPU...
  6. K

Plain X9SCA / E3-1240v2 / 16 GB Kingston KVR1600 ram / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Seagate Constellation 1TB / MSI GTX 560Ti card / Seasonic PSU / Noctua cooling / Nexus Prom. R case. Have an old SB Live! card which Win 7 doesn't recognize (Linux has no issues, of course). Took a little work to...
  7. K

I have decided that Supermicro is a great company, actually. I gave them a call, realizing that they didn't know me (a home user/hobbyist/college prof having fun) from a hole in the wall. There, Mike helped me for 20-30 minutes, tracking down the serial number of the board (this was before I...
  8. K

Kingston SSDs on Amazon, 7/9/2012 only

I get to ask the dumb question: "Async NAND" ?? "Asynchronous ... " ??
  9. K

Kingston SSDs on Amazon, 7/9/2012 only

Saw this when I got on just now... http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_00_head Cheers, Kenward
  10. K

I waiting for the arrival of my X9SCA from Newegg, but don't know if it has the v. 2.0 BIOS needed to boot with an incoming 1240v2 cpu. I hope to find someone local who has a cpu that could be used to boot the board and flash the BIOS. Would any SB LGA 1155 socket cpu work for that? (For...
  11. K

CPUs supporting ECC data

Dang. I'm printing this one out. I use Mint, but happen to have a few Ubuntu DVD around...
  12. K

What makes good performing memory?

I appreciate you folks' thoughts about this. There does not seem to be a lot of dual channel sets of 1600 memory out there at this point. I saw some Kingston ValuRAM at $125-135 for 4x4 Gb, and somewhere else a 2-module set, but it's relatively sparse. Newegg has the 1333 stuff from Kingston...
  13. K

Well, I went with the X9SCA MB instead of the Asus P8B because of how transparent the Supermicro board's capabilities were, as well as their very obvious support of Linux. Yet were I to back up to the P8B, I could go with "higher performing" non-ECC memory, with latency timings in the range of...
  14. K

I'm about to get some memory for my new home workstation (at least, I guess that's what one calls it) but am curious about what factors differentiate the different types. I am putting an E3-1240 v2 on a Supermicro X9SCA... I was looking for the DDR3-1600 support as I figured that should max...