Search results

1. V

So I bought a winterfell node

This is excellent work; I especially appreciate your superb documentation. Being in a similar situation myself; I've been thinking about a similar low-budget/high-WAF build. I'm currently trying to decide whether I should base my build off Winterfell boards or if I should go with Dell C8220 or...
  2. V

Asrock Dual 2011-3 under $100

It looks like these boards are what is/was used in the ASRock Rack 3U8G-C612 GPU server that was reviewed on the main site back in 2015. https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-3u8g-c612-8-way-gpu-server-review/
  3. V

Dell Force10 Z9000 Switch — 32 × 40GbE — $250 OBO

While looking for something entirely unrelated I ran across a listing for a 32 port 40GbE Dell Force10 Z9000 switch for $250 (plus, shipping), which seems like a pretty damn good price. Dell Force10 Z-Series Z9000 (Z900-AC) Switch 32 x 40 Gigabit QSFP+ NO PSU | eBay $249.99 OBO Dell Force10...
  4. V

Open Compute WindMill v2 Motherboard

@Nicolas, Technically the Windmill v2 is a specification, not a specific machine. Quanta and Wiwynn each manufactured machines that conformed to the Windmill v2 spec, the Quanta Rackgo X F03C and Wiwynn SV7210. Facebook server Intel Xeon motherboard v2 (aka Windmill)...
  5. V

USB 3.1 Gen2 PCIe Card?

Vantec 2-Port USB 3.1 PCIe (10Gbps) USB-C & USB Type-A | UGT-PC371AC Dual Chip 4-Port Dedicated 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 PCIe Host Card | UGT-PCE470-2C StarTech 4-Port USB 3.1 PCIe Card - 3x USB-A and 1x USB-C - 2x Dedicated Channels | PEXUS313AC2V 4-Port USB 3.1 (10Gbps) Card - 4x USB-A with Two...
  6. V

Mezzanine and Backplane Connectors

I had a thought, there's at least one mezzanine card that's largely passive, the MXM mezzanine adapter board (HP p/n 583496-001). Since MXM is an open standard the pinout is widely available.[1] So, with the aid of a multimeter, a decent pair of probes, and a substantial amount of persistence it...
  7. V

Mezzanine and Backplane Connectors

That link for the lazy: https://community.hpe.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bladescategory04/4014/1/technologies%20in%20the%20hp%20bladesystem%20c7000%20enclosure.pdf
  8. V

Has anyone tried bcachefs yet?

Kent Overstreet, the original developer of the bcache block caching system for Linux, has been developing bcachefs which he refers to as "The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data" for awhile now and I was curious if anyone has had a chance to give it a spin. I've been running Btrfs...
  9. V

What DNS provider do you use?

Does Route 53 offer recursive resolution?
  10. V

What DNS provider do you use?

There are quite a few public recursive DNS providers these days; what do you use? Google OpenDNS (Cisco) Quad9 (IBM, PCH, et al.) Dyn (Oracle) Verisign OpenNIC Norton ConnectSafe (Symantec) Comodo Fourth Estate Or, maybe you use something a bit more esoteric.
  11. V

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

I'm curious, who is the "we" you refer to? Are you running these machines in production? Do you have official support from Quanta?
  12. V

pfsense: A 'meltdown' of a different sort?

I'd be interested to hear what people around here think about the recent comments from Jim Thompson (CTO of Netgate and core pfSense team member). Possible Malware on pre-installed 3rd party pfSense Hardware • r/PFSENSE
  13. V

LGA1366 vs 2011 for 4k 6k 8k vidwork?

At least in the Linux world multiseat is generally considered to be the more appropriate term for a system that allows for multiple users to be logged in concurrently using local displays, keyboards, mice, and whatnot. The term multihead is generally reserved for a system where multiple displays...
  14. V

Details about Cavium ThunderX CN88XX 2U ARM Server 96 core dual 64-bit processors 128GB DDR4

On a related note… Cavium Thunder 88XX CRB 1U ARM Server 64GB DDR3 RAM w/ rails | eBay
  15. V

Details about Cavium ThunderX CN88XX 2U ARM Server 96 core dual 64-bit processors 128GB DDR4

Cavium ThunderX CN88XX 2U ARM Server 96 core dual 64-bit processors 128GB DDR4 | eBay I can't attest to how great of a deal it is but if nothing else I hope someone finds it interesting.
  16. V

Pluribus Networks F64-L 48×10GE + 4×40GE Integrated Server Switch

Actually, they're sitting on two so maybe they'll be twice as eager to sell.
  17. V

Note to self: Always search first.
  18. V

Pluribus Networks PB Freedom F64-L 48 x 10GE+ 4 x 40GE Integrated Server Switch | eBay