Search results

1. T

LSI SAS3008 update/EFI Shell issue, navigating to USB

Hello, I've read multiple threads here covering updating the firmware on an LSI card and feel I have the basics down. I'm assisting a neighbor updating his Supermicro card to a newer firmware (has a new Seagate 22tb that works on mobo sata, but not detected on the SAS card, which is firmware...
  2. T

SC836 Rail issue

I have a Compellent/SC836 chassis. I'm finally getting around to mounting it in a rack since I'm about to have a finished room in the basement. Unit was purchased used, came with rails. I'm having trouble getting the right inner rail to slide into the outer rail. The black plastic end...
  3. T

Windows domain logon, automatically launch an associated VM by username?

Hi, I'll preface this by stating: I'm not a systems admin or directly involved in IT anymore. I've been on the periphery for years and really not all that familiar with ESXI/HyperV and more advanced windows AD administration. Is it possible to configure a Windows AD server via group policy or...
  4. T

1151 Xeon cooler for X11SSM-F in SC836 suggestion?

I recently assembled my new Freenas server in a SC836 chassis. The motherboard is a X11SSM-F. I'm running a Xeon 1240 V6 cpu, using the retail heatsink/fan. It's keeping things moderately cool, but temps occasionally creep into the mid 40's, but not for long. I'm about to close up the case...
  5. T

SC836 build with X11SSM-F - cabling questions

Ok, I'll preface this by saying while I've built plenty of computers, this my first foray into an actual server chassis. I have what I believe is an SC836TQ-R500B. I know it has the TQ backplane and it has dual 500's, so I'm fairly certain that's correct. First: The front panel control...
  6. T

SAS/SATA Controller recommendation, TQ backplane

I'm finishing up assembly of a new storage server. Chassis SC836TQ Processor: Xeon 1240 V6 32GB (16GBx2) ECC DDR4 RAM - Will upgrade to 64Gb soon, trying to pay for a wedding this month. Motherboard is a Supermicro X11SSM-F. Expansion slots are: 1 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16), 1 PCI-E 3.0 x8, 2...
  7. T

WTB: 16Gb DDR3 SODIMM ECC Unbuffered

Hi, I'm trying to source some ram for my Supermicro A1SRi-2558F board. I'd like at least two 16GB modules so I can eventually upgrade to 64Gb in the future(will be running ZFS), but may buy all four if the price is right. Having trouble finding these in 16Gb units where they are ECC...
  8. T

HP V1910-24G-PoE input?

I'm sourcing a POE+ switch for a friend, for IP camera/AP use. Ideally he'd need at least a 16 port, as he'll have about 7 cams now, maybe a few more in the future, and a few AP's. I'd consider a Fast Ethernet switch that supported POE+ and just route the AP's through his main data switch and...
  9. T

Sold: Mikrotik CRS226-24G-2S+IN $175

I have a CRS226-24G-2S+IN that is New in Box. I purchased it off Amazon back in November of 2016 and never used it. I paid $235 for it back then. I'm asking for $175 and would include ground shipping in the continental US. I'd prefer to ship UPS. If you need FedEx Ground instead, I can...
  10. T

Lian Li D8000 for home file server chassis?

I've been researching a rebuild of my home server for a few months and am about ready to start buying. I'm hoping to replace an aging Synology DS-1511+ and harvest the 5x3TB drives in it. I also have about 10x1Tb Hitachi platters laying around I'd like to use. Currently running all my...
  11. T

APC Network card question - SMT1500

Not sure where to put UPS stuff, so I figured I'd start here. I purchased a SMT1500 for my home equipment. I'd like to grab a network card for it, to automate the shutdown of various devices via the network. This is not mission critical, just trying to protect everything and have it all setup...
  12. T

CRS226-24G-2S+IN vs CRS210-8G-2S+IN

Ok, so I'm finally wrapping up my in home wiring. I've decided on a CRS226-24g-2s+RM for my basement switch. I'm connecting via fiber upstairs to another switch. My preference was to grab a CRS210-8G-2s+IN and connect over SFP+ via OM3 for a 10Gb link. The upstairs unit will be in a...
  13. T

Fiber optic cleaning question

Ok, so after running the fiber in my house, I lost a few of the dust caps on some of my cables. These are all 1.25mm LC connectors. I planned on purchasing some fiber cleaning accessories anyways, but now I need it preinstall. The plan was to order a basic $30 cassette for the cables and a...
  14. T

CRS210-8G-2S+IN POE in options?

I'm looking at this unit and have some questions about powering it via POE. I see it come up in some searches, so I'm assuming a number of people here have experience with it. If I wanted to power it via an injector, would that be just a standard 24volt? The plan is to provide power by...
  15. T

Fiber type question

Hi, You guys helped with a previous thread on setting up my new home's network. I've finally begun the physical wiring. I've finished the first floor and am preparing to wire up the second floor. Cliff notes: Looking to run fiber from basement to attic, back to a 2nd floor switch, to avoid a...
  16. T

Home switch suggestion?

Hi, This is my first post, but I've been browsing this forum for quite some time(eventually rebuilding some home servers). I have just purchased a home and would like to get some advice on some basic networking suggestions for wiring the home. This place seems to have a lot of people who seem...