Search results

1. J

Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX EN SR-IOV on ESXi 6.7U3

Hi, did you ever get this working ? I seem to be facing the same issue with the same motherboard and also using a ConnectX-4 LX card (AOC-S25G-m2S). I'm running ESXi 7.0u2 SR-IOV settings are enabled in BIOS AOC-S25G-m2S Card Firmware Version: 14.28.2006 nmlx5_core driver version: 4.19.70.1...
  2. J

SC846 mount vertically against wall ?

I just thought that it might be harder for the fans to push the air against the wall of disks instead of sucking it through them ? We'll see how it works out. I've ordered the bracket but won't have the server installed until May when the builders are done renovating my new home :). Thanks for...
  3. J

I'm the only person that will be working on the server as it will be at home. If that ever happens then it'll be my own stupid fault :eek:. Thank you ! I think you just solved my problem ! :):):) I don't expect the airflow to be quite as good but the server doesn't get particularly hot anyway.
  4. J

I just came across this : Combined load bearing weight of 6 x M6 bolts ? | AVForums If true, wouldn't that mean that I could get away with holding the server in place vertically using just 2 M6 bolts & screws ? The SC846 case has two holes to lock the server to the rack when its on rails. My...
  5. J

Hi, I have a Supermicro SC846 case and am looking for a method to attach it safely to a concrete wall. The server needs to be vertical : front facing down. I've seen Startech's 4U bracket but that would require the case to have its front facing towards the ceiling which isn't good for the...
  6. J

Napp-it & ESXi question

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a 5.1 license that I could use so the 32gb ram limitation wouldn't apply. I'm going to follow your advise and upgrade.
  7. J

Napp-it & ESXi question

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of setting up my all in one napp-it server but am uncertain about the version of ESXi I should run. I'm aware of the ESXi 5.5u1 NFS bug aswell as e1000 issues but also know that patches have been released : Source: napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for...
  8. J

ZFS on an Open-iSCSI LUN in VMware

- Easy of management - The fact you can enable/disable options on a folder basis - dedup, compression, snapshots. I'll be running VMs from the ZFS volume so dedup should (based on what I know from working with NetApp SANs) allow provide me with a 40-50% dedup gain. That being said I have been...
  9. J

Good question, it's kept me thinking for a couple of hours ;-) Since (as you pointed out) ZFS doesn't have access to the base disks I don't expect scrubbing to be as effective. ZFS will only be sure that the data was correctly written to the LUN. If something goes wrong underneath that layer...
  10. J

I'm more worried about performance than troubleshooting the system when/if it goes wrong. Proper monitoring will help me figure out what's failed (drive, iSCSI export, fs problem, etc...).
  11. J

Luna

The work you put in to that case really paid off, the result looks great ! I'm thinking of pulling a server together using the same case and spotted the internal drive cage that houses an SSD drive. Where did you get that cage from ?
  12. J

ZFS pool expansion

I too find not being able to expand the pool a pain and believe I have found a way round it : http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?675-ZFS-on-an-Open-iSCSI-LUN-in-VMware You could do the same thing with two servers instead of using VMware. Tell me what you think :)
  13. J

Hi, I've been designing a new storage + virtualisation solution for my home over the last few months and am very interested in the features ZFS provides. However I don't like not being able to add a drive to an existing ZFS pool and have been looking for a way round that issue... I believe I...