Search results

1. S

The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

Silicon errata are always fun ... and how things get handled are always different case by case. In this instance, outside looking in, I'd guess that there is a long term reliability degradation on a clock synthesizer/generator, probably part of the SoC. The things that influence degradation...
  2. S

New Netgear ReadyNAS Launched – Xeon D with 10Gbase-T

Was waiting for a 10GbE NAS box to ship to see how well I did with my "roll my own." At $1800 for the diskless version of the ReadyNAS RN626X (6 bay SATA), my DIY build is (in my opinion ;)) quite a bargain.
  3. S

5.4PB in 4U? Seagate shows off a 60TB SSD at FMS 2016

EEtimes note from today, this time on Micron's 3D Xpoint demo along with Toshiba NAND roadmap updates. (@Patrick, did you get to talk to the Micron folk?) Micron demos 3D XPoint in drives | EE Times I continue to be terrified by statements like: Separately, Toshiba now has working chips for...
  4. S

5.4PB in 4U? Seagate shows off a 60TB SSD at FMS 2016

Fab allocation of flash is going to be a fun thing to watch. In enterprise realms, we're already seeing significant backlog on some high end NVMe devices, simply due to NAND allocations going to certain consumer companies that have a fruit as their name. I'm really glad Seagate went with SAS...
  5. S

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Very nice, how much did that cost? Sent via Tapatalk
  6. S

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Hi Mike, There are several builds in the DIY section that you could take a look at. Here's the link to mine: X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) Build I can't really comment on any "stress" testing of Plex, but for my in the home needs it hasn't even blinked. I've been pleased as can be with this...
  7. S

Softbank buys ARM Holdings

Definitely interesting times... EETimes coverage indicates that - perhaps - simple CEO hubris could be the primary driver in play. ARM Acquisition: What's In It for SoftBank? | EE Times. Certainly, the currency valuation enabled the purchase. The fact (referenced in several finance articles)...
  8. S

Self-driving cars: July 2016 STH discussion

Here's a good take on the autopilot issue from IEEE Spectrum: Tesla Autopilot Crash: Why We Should Worry About a Single Death As I pondered this whole topic a bit more, I thought of a tangential arena it could take us - though one that requires immense more technology development and even more...
  9. S

I believe that this is causing issues today for the Google car. I read somewhere that, for example, in areas where the prevailing flow of cars is going above the speed limit, when an autonomous car attempts to merge in AT or below the speed limit accidents occur. There was talk of having the...
  10. S

Yup... here in Austin the Google car has been thrown off by odd human behavior, both drivers and pedestrians. Eventually, it will learn - or become self aware and... [emoji4] Sent via Tapatalk
  11. S

DFW STH members

Thanks! My daughter works in downtown DFW, and her office is closed for the day. Crazy times we live in. Sent via Tapatalk
  12. S

Exactly, but the "new" thing here is the control aspect. It will be very telling on how the recent Tesla autopilot fatality will be handled by the courts of law and public opinion. I am now at a point of not believing that logic will prevail in either of those courts. Sent via Tapatalk
  13. S

While I personally don't want to participate in this, and it definitely is not my ideal, I also believe it WILL happen. What will the unintended consequences of this radical change be, I wonder. If, in a simple case where every vehicle is autonomous, then how would things like liability...
  14. S

I will be a contrarian and share that while there are some occasions that I would be tempted to want one, I vastly prefer driving the old school way. After 26+ years in electrical engineering, I simply have seen too much go unexpectedly wrong to trust mass market vehicles with automatic driving...
  15. S

Internet firewall - spam/parental/content filtering - suggestions?

Hi katit! What is your budget? Pfsense can do everything you have mentioned, though you will have to do a bit of configuring to get it exactly how you need it to be. I bought the Netgate Netgate RCC-VE 2440 Intel Rangeley C2358 Dual Core Board along with a cheap mSATA SSD, installed Pfsense...
  16. S

Anybody in for a good Intel conspiracy theory?

LOL... ME has been with us for quite a while now, I guess someone needed to write up something alarming. If they understood how the SMI function worked, then they would really be terrified.[emoji4] Sent via Tapatalk
  17. S

8TB Drive Buying Decisions

Ah, the good old days... I remember having to use DOS debug to run the RLL controller (or was it MFM, 25 years makes it hard to recall exactly which one) configuration utility to format the drive. My first AT computer was definitely the most expensive one I ever owned - splurged on not only a...
  18. S

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Awesome, thanks for posting this! I literally put this on my "go figure out" list yesterday, you saved me an ocean of time. Sent via Tapatalk
  19. S

8TB Drive Buying Decisions

I have been thinking about this for a while. At what point is enough for storage capacity on a rotational HDD? The interface can go faster as far as link speed (SAS-4 will be 24 GBS) but the throughput isn't going to increase. Heck, with SMR drives it will likely go down. Rebuild times in a...
  20. S

Format/Erase Utility for Intel S3500 SSD's?

Ah, so probably the same P19 version on mine, IT firmware... I will ping some people I know to see if they have any insight. I have heard mention of hdparm security pass thru commands, but those were conversations about current gen 12Gb silicon, using MegaRAID. It may take a few days to get...