Search results

1. D

SMB issues with osx - help request

Another weird issue with napp-it and mac I have several zfs file systems in a esxi all in one, some for media shares.. all has been working well I created a new folder in one of the SMB shares, and now I can seem to SMB from my Mac and move files over to that file system I can still transfer...
  2. D

Gea - Help on a few things...

I have been running a Napp-it all in one on esxi for a couple years now to replace an old ZFS server that I had running on macOS Sierra for the most part its been a pretty good fit, however not without its issues.... 1 I just had to destroy a 24TB media pool and rebuild because Napp-it /...
  3. D

opinions and assistance please

I have a fairly old esxi home lab based on intel s5520HC and 2x L5640s the setup serves my purposes and upgrading the hardware is not in the cards at the moment.. I am on 6.0xx still as initial testing when 6.5 came out that power optimization was not as good and my 24x7 server that mostly...
  4. D

anyone running gulftown / westmere

I have a home lab running ESXi on a intel 5520hc mobo with 2 x L5640s I have stayed on ESXI 6.0 since a test when 6.5 came out showed that while the L5640 would run it, power usage was up and it seemed as if optimizations might have been dropped anyone running this generation with 6.5 or 6.7...
  5. D

Deal Check... hot or not

found a local deal on a Dell T7600 workstation for $250 dual E5-2690 with 64gb ram and a raid controller, assuming its the perc I am currently using a dual L5640 S5520hc for a esxi server and pretty happy with it.. it only pulls like 170w at the wall with everything going but its stuck at...
  6. D

possible bug 18.12w

upgraded napp-it free from 18.12q2 to w and SMART no longer generates a table? if I click getsmartinfo it will scroll current data but does not generate the interactive web table so cant run new tests etc. also, I had appliance maps from when it was still a trial version of pro, they were...
  7. D

MELTDOWN

ok people... its about to get real.. real technical.. in a way that I am not professionally prepared for but perhaps will spark some enlightened debate and possibly flush some best practices without posting tons of smpt and esxi performance graphs and esxtop results.. lets just say that I have...
  8. D

some assistance please

I have cleaned up a esxi 6.0 napp-it all in one box lately due to a failed disk I have a intel s5520hc l5640 based box that was running esxi 6.0 and decided to add and intel mezzanine lsi1078 based raid card to use for napp-it running a pair of small mirrored ssd disks to avoid this single...
  9. D

ok... damdest thing

ok so I updated esxi from 6 to 6.7 as folks were saying that their 1366 boards/cpus seemed to do fine ok I was up and running and then the strangest thing.. any time I try and hit napp-it from outside the box with a file transfer .. the network connection to the box would drop... at first I...
  10. D

solaris zfs partition question

So I had my napp-it zfs boot vmfs datastore die on me the other day and since I need to remedy this .. I decided to clean up this host and make some hardware changes. part of that was changing the underlying hardware structure of a data pool from RDM passthroughs to napp-it VM to passing...
  11. D

N app-it version suggestion - system crashed

I have a system running dual l5640 processors.. yeah.. old box but serviceable.. have esxi 6 still on here and need to know which version of the Napp-it VM pre-made OVA to download.. looks like the newer versions are 6.5 and 6.7 required? Thanks
  12. D

general windows question

Sorry, I know this is a windows server forum but bear with me. I purchased a used hp6300 system on eBay that was advertised as having windows 10 upgraded as well as microsoft office installed. It would seem after receiving the machine that likely the windows 10 and officer are 'hacktivated' as...
  13. D

bricked intel AXXRMS2AF040

can anyone out there help me unbrick this daughterboard... followed some cross flashing instructions here a while back and it went bad.. none of the usual utilities will see it any longer and it doesnt even show up in uefi pci-e listings..
  14. D

hot swap/plug esxi RDM disks?

just like the title says.. esxi 6.0 I have a couple sata disks RDM'd to a napp-it VM and it would seem that exporting the pool and pulling the RDM drive then plugging it back in freezes the VM... any thoughts.. is this a known limitation that DRM mapped disks dont hot plug? thanks
  15. D

esxi having an issue.. help please

Every couple weeks my esxi 6 server goes offline but in a strange way.. the setup is boot off of USB on an intel 5520 mobo, Napp-it and one other VM boot off of a SSD on SATA rest of the VMs boot off of storage proved by napp-it via passthrough of a LSI card in IT mode and a couple drives RDM...
  16. D

NappIt AIO esxi freeze issue ... help requested!

Every couple weeks my esxi 6 server goes offline but in a strange way.. the setup is boot off of USB on an intel 5520 mobo, Napp-it and one other VM boot off of a SSD on SATA rest of the VMs boot off of storage proved by napp-it via passthrough of a LSI card in IT mode standard setup right...
  17. D

slow network speed issue vmxnet3 ?

ok.. researched this up and down.. sideways and have tried everything napp-it esxi all - in - on setup napp-it 2x vmxnet3 adapters with .conf modified with 4096 and lso disabled ubuntu 1 e1000 and 1 vmxnet3 debian 1 vmxnet3 on ubuntu I am getting slow iperf3 to napp-it... over the...
  18. D

napp it all in one perfomance thoughts

for an esxi all in one with napp it .. would setting the VMs latency sensitivity to high improve napp its performance by giving it priority for shared resouces like the vmnic and disk controller interrupts ? also I see that napp-it turns on xattr=on but not xattr=sa which at least in osx...
  19. D

hot remove disks / enclosures

I am still trying to get a handel on moving from zfs on a osx server to a virtualized all in one esxi with napp-it backing. in osx.. exporting a pool was all I had to do to be able to hot unplug a drive/drives or enclsosure to move it somewhere else or power it down without having to restart...
  20. D

Help... lockups

Gea... I am getting some napp-it lockups.. looks like disk freezes... running a esxi all in one... last I was in an ssh session into napp-it checking pool status and metrics with iostat and one pool locked up... one disk in the pool and the pool went to %b 100 and %w 1oo had to shut down...