Search results

1. D

MD1200 vs SA120

I noticed a lot of people were complaining about noise level of the SA120 and that even after you turn the fans down, they would ramp back to full speed after power loss. I set mine to Auto from windows and they stayed there through several power losses. In Auto, they seem to fluctuate between...
  2. D

Why does ZFS hate me and what am I doing wrong?

I got them from Fry's locally. They were $85 a couple weeks ago and then $20 off $150 or more. It was limited to 1 per person (lol, come on Fry's) but I had a few accounts and a wife who helped me get them all. Need more wives and I would have gotten 4 more!
  3. D

So the ebay seller is NOT happy about the return but eBay already approved it. He tried to say that by "Mint Condition" he meant they looked nice and that 20,000 hours is barely used. Don't worry about massive amounts of errors and that he never even remotely mentioned they were actually SUN...
  4. D

I opened a case on ebay to return the drives. Since I have only had them 24 days and the seller didn't mention any of this stuff, I think I will win the case. They listed them as "MINT almost no use". Not, 20,000 hours of spin time, 220+ TB of transfers and upwards of 1,000,000 errors! They...
  5. D

I can do that. I ran the bios based memory diagnostics and didn't find anything but I know memtest86 can be more aggressive.
  6. D

Hmmm, I wish it was that simple but i ran all 5 of these disks through HDDScan (Surface, Read, Write, Verify) tasks and HDTune tests only a week ago. All the tests took 2+ days on each drive and all passed (or so said the software). Is there anything else that can cause these errors? All five...
  7. D

Sorry to add another comment but where can I find my log files from Freenas? It keeps zipping them up at 100k and putting them somewhere. I would be more than happy to include the latest one so you could clearly see the SCSI errors instead of watching my video! EDIT: I think I found logs in...
  8. D

Ok, so I see LOTS of write errors corrected on all of the 3TB drives. Below is an example. What could be causing this!! Here is a small Excel sheet I made to put it in a more compact form. Each tab has a picture of the "Smartctl -a" output. Hard Drive Problem.xlsx Another thing to...
  9. D

Yes, I pulled out everything but that volume to see if that would make a difference. So right now my 5 3tb drives are in a MD1200 and I actually put my smaller 3 2tb drive volume back in the SA120 and connected them both to the R720 through the LSI9207 and the smaller volume showed up, no...
  10. D

I know where they go in the original setup but I thought I read that ZFS was smart enough to not need the disks in the same spot to work. Is that wrong? How can it be a backplane issue if it gives the exact same errors in two completely different enclosures?
  11. D

I see they just updated that firmware. I will install it now! - LOL NVM, that was 4-15-2015. I already had Firmware V1008. So far I have moved around the 5 drives that make up the Media Volume to different slots in the SA120 and moved the 5 drives that make up the Media Volume over to my...
  12. D

Here is why I thought checking with GPART was worthwhile but it said everything was fine:
  13. D

I have a short 1ft cable that came with the brand new SA120, I will use that and see if any of the errors go away. Can you give me some commands to check the Smart status of the drives so I can post the output just to be sure?
  14. D

This is a clear shot of the middle of the SCSI mass output. I'm sure the numbers are changing from the many screens flying by but this is the general jist: This is the end of the SCSI Barf report from the first iteration of errors.
  15. D

I was able to read a lot of the messages by just stopping the video, or even putting it in slower speed playback from the youtube settings. I think I did poke around in the SMART settings and don't remember there being any errors. If you give me a command to run, I will do it and report back.
  16. D

I'm including the video link, I saw a TON of SAS related errors that fly by so quick and are so complicated I can't understand them at all. Hopefully somebody else is more savvy than me and has an easy answer to this debacle. The errors start around the 1 minute mark and also around the 2...
  17. D

Hey folks, I have been piecing together a server/enclosure setup for my home backup and media serving needs but having nothing but trouble with Freenas (specifically ZFS). I put the post in this forum because I am assuming it has something to do with my LSI9207 / SA120 / R720 since it just...
  18. D

HGST 2TB SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Refurbished - $40

What would be much more efficient for me would be to fill my R720 2.5" bays with 16 hard drives and not have to power an enclosure at all. Too bad 2.5" high capacity drives are stupid expensive compared to 3.5". Anybody have a 3.5" version of the R720 they want to trade for my 2.5" R720?
  19. D

I was able to ship 5 of them to my neighbor and the order went through. Just in time too because they are sold out! I hear you on the 2TB size. I look at it this way, I bought a SA120 for $150 brand new and can daisy chain it to my existing SA120. So being able to pick up a really nice HDD...
  20. D

I just bought two different orders of 5, I guess we will see if one gets cancelled. I'm going to fill a whole SA120 with these and only use it to backup all my other stuff with 2 spares. That didn't take long - Cancelled!