Search results

1. N

Can't install Win PE on WSE 2012r2

That's not going to solve the problem. WinPE isn't on the install disk, it's something Windows has to go out and download, but now MSFT has made that file unavailable. I may have found a work around if anyone else runs into this problem. I did the following and it appears to now successfully...
  2. N

Can't install Win PE on WSE 2012r2

I'm trying to get the client restore service running on my homeserver running Windows Server Essentials 2012r2. It backs up all my PC's no problem, but for the first time since I moved from WHS to WSE, I had a machine crash and need to do a bare metal restore. Unlike WHS, apparently to...
  3. N

Questions on using a dual port nice with Hyper-V

Well, a bit more searching and it looks like if I did create a TEAM last time, well you can't do that in Powershell anymore on Win10! You can do it via updated Intel Drivers though, which I went ahead and did. Seems to be working good so far, but I guess I'll see!
  4. N

Questions on using a dual port nice with Hyper-V

So back when I had my server on ESXi, I bought a dual port Intel NIC (mainly because ESXi didn't play nice with the Realtek NIC onboard the motherboard). I remember vaguely setting up my 'virtual network' to use both of those ports. When I moved to Hyper-V about 2 years ago, I feel like I was...
  5. N

Licensing Compliance Service caused a shutdown - not sure why

So I've been having a problem for a while where my server will shut it self down. Here's what I got: Windows Servers Essentials 2012r2 - set up as a host Windows Servers Essentials 2012r2 - virtualized and the domain controller. Windows 7 - virtualized, mainly used when I need to work remotely...
  6. N

How to test the PSU in a Dell PowerEdge T-20?

I have a problem where my server occasionally turns off, usually late at night. I'm wondering if its a power supply issue as I can't find anything in the software (WSE 2012r2) to indicate that a process is telling it to shut down. So, I bought a PSU tester (Amazon.com: HDE 20+4 Pin LCD Power...
  7. N

Internet speed being throttled by server?

Kind of what I was afraid of. I was hoping it might be something like "Ohh for the client PC's you have to do this or it limits the speed." Unfortunately, all the other PC's on our little network are either on Wifi or using non gigabit adapters, so I can't really test to see if any of the...
  8. N

Internet speed being throttled by server?

Having a minor problem in regards to my setup. I have Time Warner Cable 300mb down /50mb up service. Running WSE 2012r2 with the following setup: 1) Used WSE 2012r2 on the server and set it up as a host only (stripped out everything else) 2) Setup a virtualized WSE 2012r2 machine as my domain...
  9. N

Question on virtualizing WSE 2012r2

Thanks. Strangely enough, within a day or so, all the PCs and servers can now see each other, including the host. The host still can't access the shared folders from the WSE VM though (Not a huge deal, but I thought noteworthy). I'll check the DNS
  10. N

Well, ran into a new bump, so any advice this would be appreciated. I installed the host as my link above said, worked great. I then set up my WSE 2012r2 VM and set it as the domain controller. The VM can get to the internet. It can see the two other PC's on my network (haven't joined them...
  11. N

Thanks. I also found this which seems to have worked pretty well: How to configure Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Hyper-V Role as HOST.
  12. N

Thanks for the replies. So here's a question that has me a bit stumped. I just reinstalled WSE 2012r2 on the physical machine. I'm going to just use this as a Hyper-V host then do a virtual installation. In the 'Configure Windows Server Essentials, it wants me to set up the Internal Domain...
  13. N

Hello, I wanted to see if someone could either clarify a couple things on virtualizing WSE 2012r2 or point me towards some resources so I can figure it out. I have a small home office with 3 users. We currently have WSE 2012r2 running for the primary purposes of backing up client computers...
  14. N

WSE 2012r2 Restore Files and Folders crashing

Well, I tried it on a backup of a VM and it turns out the hotfix, even if you don't have that update listed above works: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3045682
  15. N

WSE 2012r2 Restore Files and Folders crashing

Trying to restore some files from a client back up, but I keep getting an error: "Restore Files and Folders wizard has stopped working" Googling it, everything I come across references a problem from Feb 2015: Crash restoring files from client backup I don't see the update in question on any...
  16. N

My ESXi server completely locks up at times

Well, FlexRAID ran successfully last night, so I'd say the problem is solved!
  17. N

Well, I believe the issue is fixed. After my last post, the problem got worse and worse. I had added a couple SSD's so I could have each VM on its own SSD. These were all plugged into the SATA ports on the motherboard. Well, one particular VM seemed to trigger the lock up. I realized that...
  18. N

Do you have a fan on (or blowing on) yours? There's nothing in the slots around it and the case seems to have pretty good ventilation (an Antec 900)
  19. N

Well, I have narrowed it down to a hardware issue. The 750GB passes all checks on it, so that drive is OK. One of my 3TB drives seems to have a dead sector, but as I said, this problem predated those drives. I did a test by pulling out my ESXi flash drive and putting a 120GB SD in and...