Search results

1. V

This is a real stretch - but anyone still running a Supermicro X10SL7-F on Win Server 2022

As I suspected. Have seen many cases where drivers are compatible. I will have to test this theory. And I did some digging on TPM - it is not required for Server 2022. Cheers VP
  2. V

This is a real stretch - but anyone still running a Supermicro X10SL7-F on Win Server 2022

Fair enough - but I haven't had to jump thru any hoops with MS as of yet. And - not ruling out a major change just yet either :) VP
  3. V

Well - this might actually be the case but I am certain that Win server will ask for some specific drivers to be available. And yes - I could also change this big time into FreeNAS or a Linux build - but that would be totally new territory for me. Staying with Win Server would be preferable. VP
  4. V

I have had a pair of these boards rolling since 2016 as file servers and with no signs of any issues (or any immediate need to replace) I have been thinking about a general "refresh" of both boxes. One I am planning a CPU upgrade and the other needs a major drive reconfiguration. They have both...
  5. V

Help Wanted: Supermicro x10SL7-F Now stuck in infinite boot loop

As noted I stayed with 3.2 on both servers. I find this BIOS gives dramatically faster booting and IPMI operations than 3.3 ever did. Considering they are end of life and 3.3/3.4 really bring nothing to the table - I would rather keep things fast than deal with low level micro changes that...
  6. V

Update for everyone - after several painful hours of trial and error - the only solution that is verified was a rollback to BIOS 3.2. This point was really driven home when I returned my attention to the other x10SL7-F (Let's call it Board 1) I have here several hours after the issues with this...
  7. V

J_H_O Have not moved to this next step - but great suggestion and one that I will surely try. I believe there is something else odd going on here - the board posts just fine - but will not (for whatever reason) acknowledge the UEFI Windows Boot Manager. It is truly bizarre. VP
  8. V

Today I completed a routine firmware update for one of my two Supermicro x10SL7-F motherboards - simply going from BIOS v3.3 to v3.4 using the IPMI interface - everything seemed to go fine until the machine restarted and now I am caught in an infinite reboot loop The board displays the usual...
  9. V

X10-SL7-f: Any real world advantage to LSI 2308 vs Intel SATA ports?

Spartacus Thanks for the update. I should clarify that the LSI 2308 is on chip for this board so no real slot issues etc. But dang - you hit the nail on the head for heat - is it ever hot! I was poking around in the case yesterday (with the sides off) and the heatsink for the LAS was on fire...
  10. V

X10-SL7-f: Any real world advantage to LSI 2308 vs Intel SATA ports?

All Been rocking a pair of Supermicro x10sl7-f for several years now. Reliable as the day they were purchased. One of my boards is used for our file server and another for a deployment server/Hyper-V Test environment where I work on Windows deployment (MDT) and test Windows 10/Windows Server...
  11. V

Big fan troubles with Supermicro X10SL7-F

Does the actual Fan mode have anything to do with setting the actual thresholds? Also - I am using IPMIUTIL (For windows workstation - not Linux) but the intent is the same: More interesting is another fan "event" seen last night after simply restarting a service on the machine. Event logs...
  12. V

Update I spent another few hours this morning analyzing fan sensor output from IPMIUTIL - I first extracted the key settings from my first server I built with the x10SL7-F I back in April 2016. Using this command ipmiutil sensor -N [SERVER IP} -U [UserName] [Password] -Y -c -g fan -t I was...
  13. V

Good morning, Last week I took delivery of another Supermicro X10SL7-F for my home LAN - this for use as a VM/Deployment server. Since this is my second go around with this board - I am familiar with it's quirks - especially the bloody fans roaring up and down every 5 seconds after the board is...
  14. V

Would Hyper-V be fully supported on this older hardware?

My chip is not a Xeon - it's a desktop Q9550 circa 2010. As such - probably not a big market for that old timer :) And - this is for a home install - so I am not worried about power usage etc. Finally my primary goal here is zero cost with a nod to a total reuse for this project. I am only...
  15. V

Looks like the CPU (on server) only needs SLAT if : "SLAT is required on the server if the RemoteFX role service is enabled" No problems with that here. I think I may be OK... VP
  16. V

Apologies but I am pretty certain I stated : "The plan is to install Windows Server 2012R2 Standard with the Hyper-V role enabled" And... "I am getting a sense that certain virtualization extensions for Hyper-V 2012 may not be fully supported given the age of these parts. Things like SLAT etc...
  17. V

Chris, Sorry - no plans for Server 2016 at this time. This specific build will be 2012 R2. Cheers! VP
  18. V

What is TP5 and where would one get it? VP
  19. V

In an effort to purge a huge pile of old "desktop" parts from my stash (circa 2009-2011) I have now cherry picked the best couple of motherboards, CPU etc etc to build a secondary server The intent of this second box is as a backup zone to our primary home server AND I also wanted to create a...
  20. V

Required drivers for Supermicro X10SL7-F - used as basic file server?

Good morning, Hoping someone can help me understand which drivers are required be installed to this board (OS = Windows Server 2012 R2) if I am using it for the following configuration: Base File Server Only No RAID on any ports Samsung SSD850 PRO - boot Drive (on white I-SATA0 port) 4x4TB...