Search results

1. M

Operating System Dependency on BIOS

Thank you. I actually have everything up and running. The SATA and SAS2 raid are nonfunctional, but I can provide disk IO through a PCI-E raid card, or maybe even with MS Storage Spaces. I got a little spooked by the fact that every hardware monitoring app i have (HWiNFO64, CPUID etc.) starts...
  2. M

Operating System Dependency on BIOS

First things first. I am a software developer trying to learn hardware. I hope my question is clear and concise. I am open to feedback in this regard. Problem: I built a server using the Tyan S8236WGM3NR-IL based upon the AMD SR5690 chipset. I want to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter...
  3. M

Xeon E5-2600 v3-v4 base and turbo speeds

I see. Still great numbers in the official docs. ARe those docs available on Intel's website? I can't seem to find them.
  4. M

The cherry on top :). I am a little confused by your charts. The OPs chart showed the 2640 as having 3.8 GHz with 2 cores active. Your chart chows a 2.4 GHz base with a 1 GHz boost at 2 cores which would be 3.4GHz. IS the OP showing the effective v4 clock cycle in terms of the v3 processor by...
  5. M

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am building a workstation and I was using the Turbo Boost data published for the E5-2600 v3 chips as a dirty estimate. I want to be able to use the workstation for high end gaming. The v3 data for the 2630 and 2640 were right on the edge for me as far as...
  6. M

Chipset Drivers and Server 2008 R2/2012

I am trying to verify if they even make AMD SR5690 chipset drivers? The Supermicro H8DG6-F series is probably the most modern G34 still available. The only drivers that are available for download from their site are for LAN and SATA. Technically, the SATA could be for the southbridge SP5100 but...
  7. M

Chipset Drivers and Server 2008 R2/2012

Hello. First time poster. Patrick graciously replied to an email and pointed me here. Glad to find this place! I wanted to build a powerful box to run Server 2012 and Hypervisor. Being impatient I rushed buying everything before wrapping my head around the technical details. I bought a Tyan...